Save 50% on a ‘My 1st Years’ British Airways child backpack!

Last Summer we did a couple of pieces on the My 1st Years mini backpacks that British Airways was giving away to children passing through Gatwick and Heathrow as part of #BA100.

My 1st Years is also selling them directly to the public.  You get FREE personalisation which is a nice touch.

Half price British Airways backpack

In what is presumably a coronavirus-induced sale, the cost of the backpack has been reduced by 50%At just £12.50 they are very good value indeed, especially as your childs name can be added on for free.  Delivery is a flat £3.95 irrespective of how many you order.

My 1st Years British Airways backpack

You can order one for a child in your life via this page of the My 1st Years site.

Amex USA extends the sign-up bonus spend period by 3 months - will the UK follow?
Does American Express insurance cover you for coronavirus?

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Michael C says:

Must say/”warn” about the ‘My 1st Years’ British Airways backpack….it’s tiny! Like, Paris Hilton insane handbag/dog-sized tiny. Just about fits a paperback and small bottle of water.
    So it’s cute, but aimed more at v v small toddlers.

• Thanks for the warning. I had assumed it was quite small. To be fair the picture shows a pair of small kids shoes in the background. I had considered buying one for my niece but won’t bother.

• TGLoyalty says:

i Was assuming it’s for a 2/3 year old and takes about it. Nice as a little bag for them to feel part of the experience of travelling.

• Too lame nowadays, many 3yo probably playing travel games on their ipads if my niece is a typical toddler.

• aDifferentSimon says:

yep, it’s their pre primary school size.

2. Sean Docherty says:

Thanks for informing about bag. Just ordered for my baby. More as a novelty for me though!

3. It does not seem that the BA Premium Plus card offers cancellation / curtailement cover. All I can see in the policy is cover for incidental expenses incurred for cancellation of a flight on the day of travel.
    Hence I assume Axa’s cancellation improvements listed do not apply for the BAPP card which many of us have.

4. A question on the Amex insurance guide – will they cover you if you refuse to accept a travel credit for a cancelled flight from a non-EU airline and flight?

Had some flights booked on obscure central american airlines, which have been cancelled, and airline only offering 12 month credit which I am unlikely to be able to use. If I refuse, anyone know if I am covered?

• +1 Following. Virgin Australia and Ghan tickets.

• TGLoyalty says:

Just issue a chargeback via Amex

• On what grounds? The supplier are not obliged to offer a refund, and are within the terms of the contract.

• TGLoyalty says:

On the grounds that the flight is cancelled and they cannot deliver the service you bought.

Being obliged by law to offer a refund doesn’t mean as a consumer you have to accept that they can force you to spend your money on something else you don’t want. OP bought a flight on x day to x place if they can’t deliver then anything else they sell is useless to the OP.

Credit card is jointly liable for delivery of the exact good or service bought.

• which “obscure central american” law requires these flights to be refunded?

• Genghis says:

UK law S75.

• TGLoyalty says:

@Sean it doesn’t matter what the law there obliges them to do. The law that matters is the one that your credit card issuing bank is bound by.

Also chargebacks are a globally accepted way to get your money back when something you have paid for with a card hasn’t been delivered.

You paid for a specific flight and if that specific flight is no longer flying then you can chargeback even if the company doesn’t want to refund you. A flight is no different to clothing or goods in this aspect.

• Willing to give it a go, though there is a real argument that they are providing the service purchased – their contract terms allow them to only offer a credit, so allowing a flight within 12 months does provide what the card company is jointly liable for.

Not so much a question of legislation (as far as I can tell there is nothing equivalent to the EU or US rules that apply in Guatemala and Belize) but contract law. Hopefully AMEX will see it as you do!

• TGLoyalty says:

Companies can right anything they want in their terms but doesn’t always mean it’s enforceable.

Most consumer laws say if you don’t get what you paid for you are entitled for a refund. Re flights id argue if they can’t get you on that flight (or a reasonable alternative that day etc) then it’s not what you paid for.

• TGLoyalty says:

*write. Damn the missing edit function 🙂

5. Thanks for the Amex Plat travel cover guide, very useful.

6. Steve H says:

Interesting the policy included that flights could be booked with MR points to qualify a few days ago, but that bit has now disappeared…? Anyone got a screenshot of the former policy ?

• +1 MR Flights booked (BA and Singapore) and cancelled by airline. Anyone know of a dedicated (Twitter or FB) that talks about Amex Plat insurance cover and COVID19 claims. TIA

7. The Streets says:

Doesn’t look like the bag can be bought at this time due to shipping restrictions

8. Tim W says:

Note that the Amex insurance guide is for Axa policies. The policy I have through the Amex Platinum Small Business card is issued by Chubb. Haven’t tried to claim on it yet…

9. Yorkieflyer says:

Importantly it seems as though the plat insurance does include medical cover for corona virus on new trips. Many do not eg Nationwide. I was going to cancel my plat, now reconsidering

• TGLoyalty says:

I may be reading it incorrectly but all of the FAQ and wording is about cancelling your trip not medical cover, I would phone to confirm.

If the FCO advise against all travel there is no medical cover for anything if you travel and if it’s against all but essential travel then you’re only covered if a 3rd party is convinced it was essential.

Once there’s no FCO advice against travelling I can’t see how any medical cover will exclude it. Do they do it now for other infectious diseases or viruses? Malaria etc?

• yorkieflyer says:

Nationwide on their annual cover now exclude all cover for trips booked post 18 March for Corona Virus. Amex on the other hand apparently do provide medical cover unless travelling against FCO advice.

• TGLoyalty says:

I know but I read that as for travel disruption cover but NOT medical (medical is already excluded for FCO reasons)

I’d be amazed if they can exclude a single virus from their medical cover, if others are already excluded then the medical cover is useless anyway. (I have full medical cover for all travel via work so I only ever looking at the disruption stuff)

10. I booked flights on my BAPP Amex card at the start of Jan but also hold a Platinum AMEX card (personal).

Am I right in thinking if we can’t travel owing to FCO restrictions, I am covered by Amex plat?

Thanks

• TGLoyalty says:

Yes as long as you book with any amex you are covered

• Brilliant.

I booked some local flights at the other end with a different card, but I guess I can swallow that!

• Andrew M says:

If tha agent or airline that you booked the local flights with doesn’t accept Amex, you can still claim.

11. SpainByAmex says:

Anyone know if Amex will cover costs of booking early return trip from overseas due to FCO imposing “do not travel there” halfway during a trip? It doesn’t appear to be covered based on my reading of the Axa insurance policy but just wondering if anyone had real life experience? I booked my trip to Spain in January and went in early March but had to return early on 16 March due to announcement of lockdown and change of FCO advice.