LAST DAY (Monday) to buy Avios with a 75% bonus – should you jump in?

British Airways is currently running a ‘buy Avios’ bonus promotion – and it is the most generous we have ever seen.

TODAY, Monday, is your last chance to buy.

Until midnight tonight you will receive 75% bonus Avios when you buy or gift points as long as you are a British Airways American Express cardholder.  It even seems to work if you’ve had a BA Amex in the last couple of years – see below!

If you are NOT a British Airways American Express cardholder, you get a 50% bonus.

Even better, there is no minimum purchase.  The bonus kicks in with the smallest 1,000 Avios transaction.

You need to visit ba.com via this page in order to buy.

IMPORTANT: The landing page shows a 50% bonus irrespective of whether you are a BA Amex cardholder or not.  However, when you reach the purchase page it WILL show you the 75% bonus rather than the 50% shown on the first page.

British Airways has increased the number of Avios you can buy under this deal – the cap is now 200,000 points per year!  Annual purchase limits have been reset so that everyone can buy the full 200,000 + 75%.

This means that, with the bonus, you can buy up to 350,000 Avios for a whopping £3,215 – as long as you have a BA Amex.  Despite what the website says, you can pay with any American Express card.

75% buy Avios bonus

What if I just cancelled or just got a BA Amex?

Here’s the thing.  The Executive Club website appears to be offering the 75% bonus to anyone who has earned Avios from a BA Amex credit card in the last couple of years – even if you don’t still have it.

This means:

if you just took out a British Airways American Express card in the last couple of weeks, you probably WON’T be offered 75%

if you cancelled your card in the last two years you probably WILL be offered 75%, although this seems to vary looking at our comments section

Interestingly, some people who still have a Lloyds Avios credit card, but NOT a BA Amex, are also being offered 75%!

The website says that you MUST pay with a British Airways American Express card.  However, ANY American Express card will work.  If you pay with a BA Premium Plus American Express, it does not count as British Airways spending as the transaction is processed by a third party company.

What does it cost if I have a BA Amex?

In general, you will pay around 0.92p per Avios under this offer.  Based on my spreadsheet of the last 7.7 million Avios I redeemed, I got 1.18p of value.  This is using very conservative valuations for the flights booked, eg I value a Business Class flight to Dubai at £1,500 because even if BA isn’t charging that there is usually a deal with a secondary airline.

(If you don’t have a BA Amex, you will be paying nearer 1.1p as your bonus is only 50%.)

As my core article on ‘What is an Avios worth?’ shows, it is easy to get a lot more than 0.92p.  My 1.18p real-life valuation is low because I do a lot of Gold Priority Rewards (using double Avios to force open a seat, mainly due to school holiday restrictions) and don’t always have a BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher to use.  I also tend to use Avios irrespective of the value, because I am sitting on a lot of them.

If you are strategic you should do far better than me – certainly far better than 0.92p.  It is well worth thinking about at this price even if you are not normally a buyer.

The link to buy is here.  Remember that the offer ends at midnight tonight, Monday.

Review: is the British Airways Accelerating Business American Express credit card worth getting?
'My Favourite Hotel' review - PARKROYAL COLLECTION Pickering, Singapore

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Harry T says:

So, is anyone a buyer?

@Rob do you think we could see a better offer at some point in the next few months?
    Is it worth buying Avios if flights are likely to be sold quite cheaply for the rest of the year?

• 75% is unprecedented – I seriously doubt it will get any better than that.

In answer to your second question, that depends if flights are going to be sold cheaply. There is no real consensus yet that airlines will reduce prices – they still have to make money, of course. And with the reduction in capacity there will be far fewer seats to fill.

• Harry T says:

Thanks, Rhys.

Are you a buyer at these prices then?

I see what you mean – pricing could go either way. My biggest concern is that BA stops opening as many redemption seats, as their focus will shift to prioritising cash bookings.

• Optimus Prime says:

I’m not so sure about that. Their carrier surcharges on long haul flights will certainly help them out… Last year (was it by this time of the year?) they opened up A LOT of reward seats to the US, obviously looking forward to people cashing in their Amex companion vouchers plus £1600…

• Could go either way. You can’t take seats off planes – those 70+ Club World configured 777s will still have 70+ seats on them, and if BA can’t sell more than 20 then there will be a lot available for redemption.

• ankomonkey says:

As someone restricted to school holidays, I would buy at this price. If I could travel outside of school holidays, I would not buy.

FWIW, I am pretty good at making the wrong decision in cases like this, so you may be better off ignoring me or doing the opposite of what I suggest 😉

• Harry T says:

Good points, Anko!

I have a lot of flexibility compared to most about when and where I travel, so I think I will hold off paying for Avios this time. I also live in Newcastle, so not so easy to burn Avios on RFS!

• Dezbez says:

Even though it is unprecedented as Rhys points out, to my mind it feels like a marginal decision at best. This says more about the really poor value that the ‘normal’ selling price provides i.e. they’ve got to do something this significant to make it even remotely appealing.
      Plus you have to buy quite a lot to realise this rate, which is quite an investment given the risk factors. (IMHO)

2. Libertysurf says:

I don’t know whether to buy. I bought some when they were on offer with 50% bonus. Since then cancelled flights are giving me back avios into my account. Plus I read that business class fares are no longer worth it as the lounges are shut, and they’re not serving food and drink on board.

• Lounges shut is likely to be a temporary measure. Once things start re-opening I imagine the lounges will too. No point keeping lounges closed on the basis of social distancing when you are stuck in a thin metal tube with the exact same people!

• Harry T says:

Agree – social distancing and aviation just don’t mix. It will all come down to individual risk assessment – personally not bothered about the risk of covid, given my age and probably precious infection. I am more concerned about the public health impact of flying, but I appreciate that destroying the aviation industry to shield a small proportion of the population is a difficult choice.

• Segregate lounges by flight number?

Though frankly the queue for no1 lounge will need to start before security if they want to implement the 2m rule…

3. Do you also get the 3 Avios per £1 spent on the BAPP card as it is spending with BA?

4. Robin Henagulph says:

One way to Bermuda 1st 7000 plus pounds; just bought $1300.00 Avios and booked my 1st flight! with them!

5. Libertysurf says:

Just got an email from BA asking me to donate my avios to NHS workers

6. Harry says:

Does anyone know whether the money counts towards the £10k spend necessary to trigger the 2 for 1 voucher? I assume that it does.