Here’s a £100 gift for American Express Platinum cardholders

EDIT:  If you are reading this on Friday, let me tell you the story of this deal.  The offer launched on Thursday morning and was available across all primary and supplementary Platinum cards.  You could register for £600 of credits if you had the full five supplementary cards in issue!  This was a technical mistake by American Express.

On Thursday afternoon the offer was pulled.  It was relaunched on Friday morning and you can now register again, but ONLY on primary cards.

If you saved it to your supplementary cards on Thursday morning it should still be there.  It isn’t clear if American Express will pay out, but if you are shopping with the participating stores anyway it does no harm to try.

American Express is rolling out ‘compensation’ deals for Platinum cardholders.

For holders of the personal The Platinum Card, it is fairly simple – American Express is giving you £100.

If you have American Express Business Platinum, this article explains what you are getting instead.

£100 free for American Express Platinum cardholders

Do I get £100 in cash?

No.  Well, sort of.

In order to receive your free £100, you need to spend £100 by 27th August at any combination of:

• Marks & Spencer
  • Waitrose & Partners
  • Deliveroo
  • Harvey Nichols
  • Apple (online only)

100% of your spending at these shops is returned in the form of statement credit, up to £100 per card.  For clarity, the £100 cap is NOT per shop.  It is cumulative across all five shops above.

What are the restrictions?

There are some, but they are not hugely onerous:

• M&S exclusions: Bank and Energy services, Bureau de change, Opticians and Petrol stations
  • Waitrose & Partners exclusions: Cellar, Florist, Garden, Pet, Cookery school, foreign currency, Gift Section
  • Harvey Nichols exclusions: International delivery, gift cards, vouchers and dining within restaurant
  • Apple exclusions: Apple iTunes, Apps and Apple Music, Apple Search Ads, Apple Finance and Gift Cards

Here is a key thing to remember.  Waitrose gift vouchers can be used at John Lewis department stores, either online or instore.  If you can get to a Waitrose store but do not want to spend £100 on shopping, you can buy a gift card which should trigger the cashback.  You can then spend this at John Lewis at your convenience.

£100 for American Express Platinum cardholders

Do I need to register for this offer?

You MUST register your card for this offer.

To register, go to the ‘Offers’ section of your online statement page for your American Express Platinum card.  Scroll down until you see this promotion and click ‘Save To Card’.  You’re good to go!

Virtually all Platinum charge cardholders have this offer.  A small minority do not – it is not clear why.

£100 for American Express Platinum cardholders

Can I apply for The Platinum Card now and get this offer?

It isn’t clear.  It runs until 27th August so you would have plenty of time.

However, it depends on American Express adding the deal to the ‘Offers’ tab of your online statement page and we cannot be certain that this will happen for new applicants.  I’m sure we will find out soon enough.

Our full review of The Platinum Card is here if you want to find out more about the card.  You can apply here.

Conclusion

This is clearly a ‘no brainer’ offer for holders of The Platinum Card.  Ensure that you register your card now.  Remember that you have until 27th August to do the relevant spending.

Up to £500 of freebies for American Express Business Platinum cardholders - but what should you get?
British Airways raises $750 million by mortgaging 48 aircraft

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. BuyEMExternalBonds says:

Just been to a Waitrose near me and bought £200 JL gift card in one transaction, no amex redemption email – used main card only. I did not have any supp cards when the initial offer went live unfortunately.

• Anita says:

Have you had a credit from Amex for buying a gift card at Waitrose?
      Thanks

• Others have had the credit for gift cards. No-one is getting confirmation emails.

• Chris says:

I bought a £200 gift card at Waitrose on 1 June. Not statement credit and no email so far.

• You won’t get an email.

My transaction on the 29th got credit on the 31st. My transaction on the 1st hasn’t turned up yet, possible overnight.

• Chris says:

Follow up data point, Statement credit appeared on 4 June

2. No £100 credit on my personal Platinum, contacted Amex and they apologised and added to my account immediately , they said all Platinum primary card holders should have it.

• PlaneSpeaking says:

Thanks Mark, it wasn’t showing on my account yesterday the first time I read about it so I assumed it was targeted. When I read Rob’s article today, I checked again and still nothing and then I saw your comment. I called Amex and they apologised and said it is for everyone and they’ll arrange to add it today. Thanks for your note.

3. Gtellez says:

I ordered food with Deliveroo on Thursday after saving the offer in my main platinum card, didn’t received the email saying I used the offer. However, today I received the credit for the transaction. I did a small shopping in Waitrose with a supplementary yesterday, let’s see if I receive the credit quickly too. In that case I guess I’d use the credit for the supplementary I have as soon as possible.

4. Jor Dan says:

I can confirm you receive the credit on supplementary cards (if you have it saved already). Just got mine.

5. SimonW says:

Data point – Used supplementary card on Friday night to order deliveroo…. Credit hit the account this morning…… Question is wether both cards get £100 each, or if credit will stop at £100 over both main and supp cards……..

6. Andrew says:

Data point.

Used both primary and supplementary cards for £100 transactions at Waitrose on Thursday evening. Charges hit the account yesterday and 2 x £100 credits have been applied today.

• SimonW says:

Great news. I make that 11 bottles of Whispering Angel courtesy of Amex !

• Andrew says:

Haha. To be honest I make it a £200 contribution towards some furniture we were going to buy from John Lewis in any case…

Very much appreciated!

• Ravi K says:

Hey Andrew, thanks for the info. So just to confirm you bought Waitrose gift cards @ £100 each and the credit was applied?

• Anita says:

Could I please check whether you made actual purchases at Waitrose or whether you bought gift cards?
      Thanks

7. Matthew says:

Perhaps some of the people thinking they are missing out are actually holding a black BA Amex thinking it’s a platinum card?

8. Sukes says:

I was able to save the Amex deal to 4 cards- my main & 3 supplementaries. I made an Apple purchase on one of the gold supplementaries on Thurs and received £100 credit back to that card today Mon at the same time as the card was billed. So as others are noting Amex do seem to be honouring the deals saved to supplementaries.

9. Fred UK says:

Offers for UK issued IDC

Harvey Nichols
    Fortnum & Mason
    Uber Eats

• What colour? I don’t even have an Offers tab on my IDC Green online account!

• Fred UK says:

Platinum. I received an email about the promotion and clicked on the link there, which said “registered”. I do not really see it in my Platinum account, so I will ring them up when I use the credit just in case.

10. Tony G says:

Just been told by Amex via message that the offer is targeted and not for everyone.

• I called Amex this morning and was told it was a targeted promotion to only 5,000 cardholders.
      I was given 10,000 points instead.

• Unless those 5,000 customers were exclusively HFP readers I very much doubt that! I would say 95% of HFP readers with a Plat have it.

• Tony G says:

So…the offer isn’t targeted or capped according to the very helpful customer service assistant I just spoke too. They can manually add the offer to your account. Just waiting for it to show online.

11. Follow-up data points.

Had this offer on my wife’s Plat, and my supp on her plat. Registered both before it was pulled. Bought £100 gift vouchers from Waitrose on each card. Credit has posted today for each.