Manchester Airport to re-open its lounges (and get 20% off parking)

Manchester Airport has announced that its directly-owned airport lounges will open on 11th July.

This means you can now book the Escape lounges in Terminal 1 and Terminal 3.  The 1903 Lounges and Premiair terminal will remain closed.

It isn’t yet clear what facilities will be available in the lounges.

Our review of the Escape Lounge in Manchester Terminal 3 is here.

If you want to pre-book slots for cash, you can do so here.

….. and save on Manchester Airport parking

Until midnight today (30th June) you can save 20% on official airport parking for July and August, and 15% on parking between September and December.  All bookings can be cancelled or changed without penalty.

The special discount is only available via this link.

Manchester Airport lounges to reopen

Getting airport lounge access via a UK credit card

As a reminder, here are the three options to get FREE airport lounge access via a credit or charge card:

The Platinum Card from American Express

Two free Priority Pass cards (one for you, one for your supplementary Platinum cardholder, each admitting two – so a family of four gets in free) giving access to every lounge in the Priority Pass network – search it here.  You also get access to Plaza Premium, Delta and Eurostar lounges.  Our American Express Platinum review is here.

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

You get a Lounge Club card loaded with two free visits to any Lounge Club network lounge – see the list here.  The list is slightly shorter than the Priority Pass list, but not by much.  Additional visits are charged at £20 per person.  You get two more free visits for every year you keep the card.  No annual fee in Year 1.  Full details are in our American Express Preferred Rewards Gold review here.

HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard

You get a free LoungeKey card allowing you access to any property in the LoungeKey network.  Guests are charged at £20 although regular travellers will find it cheaper to pay £60 for a supplementary credit card (adults only, of course).  The card has an annual fee of £195 and there are strict financial requirements to become a HSBC Premier customer.  Full details are in my HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard review.

Curve Card is back - but with a £5 fee for new joiners
LAST DAY for 60% bonus buying Marriott Bonvoy points (biggest ever bonus) and 100% buying Radisson Rewards points

Comments

1. Radisson offer, there is a really good deal for new Radisson Blu Maldives
    You pay a flat $238 (ex. tax) whatever the date – for 2 ppl, that’s $305 including taxes and fees
    Only the standard room – Overwater Villa with Private Pool is available
    The rate includes breakfast and $30 food credit every night
    You also enjoy some discounts: 20% off F&B, 25% off SPA and 30% off seaplane transfer
    The rate applies to travel dates up until 24/12/2021, although I’m not sure if there’s any blackout date

• Please mention the source when you quote…

• I spotted this a couple weeks ago and snapped up a stay! Unbelievable bargain. They’ve been in touch and confirmed the details including the reduced Fee for the transfer on the seaplane.

Tempted to book a second stay!

Once someone books that rate the rate no longer comes up again for those dates it seems (might have just been specific to when I booked mind you) so it is limited in availability from that perspective.

2. My understanding was that there was a fee now for any cash withdrawal using a Curve free card, is this not the case?

• They put something out about it applying to withdrawals once past a certain amount, but no-one ever clarified whether that was a monthly limit or for total usage. I haven’t used the facility since lockdown started though.

• Andrew L says:

The official free cash withdrawal limit with Curve has always been £200 per month, but as along as you don’t totally abuse the feature you will get away withdrawing slightly more. Some credit card providers, such as Tesco, will charge a cash advance fee for any cash withdrawal using Curve, but Creation (IHG) and Barclays (Hilton) don’t.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Slightly more, is that 10% or more?

• Andrew L says:

Yes Secret Squirrel, 10% should be okay but I have been known to be slightly more cheeky and risk 15% now and again.

• What about the Virgin Atlantic Credit card ?
          Any charges/interest from Curve or the card itself ?

• Secret Squirrel says:

@Andrew:
            Was a sort of quip comment, I regularly exceed that limit by 500%.

• Andrew L says:

I know @Secret Squirrel. Mine was too, although I’m not that irresponsible to go 500% over. It will come and bite you on the bum one day! Ouch

• Doug M says:

General advice with Curve us try it and see, not always very good at implementing their terms.

3. First Class Fiona says:

For all those who are slating Curve for being a pointless product, you really have no idea. Let’s use an example:

– Use an IHG Premium card as your underlying card
    – Make one purchase per month, say £5k, to a place where people can save money. This earns 10k IHG points per month. Clearly this is 120k points per year, enough to get Spire and 1.5 nights on rewards points at a top level InterContinental hotel
    – Arrange for your £5k to come back from the place where people can save money and pay off the £5k on your IHG card.

Yes, there is a small amount of work to do but this is clearly not a pointless use of a Curve card.
    The cost is £99 for the IHG Premium card and £14.99 per month for the Curve Metal. For that, you are getting 120k IHG points, worth approx £480, Spire IHG membership and one free night voucher from the IHG Premium card as you’ll have spent over £10k in the year.

For anyone else talking absolute tripe about Curve being pointless, give me a shout and I’ll let you in to a load of other ways to maximise it’s use.

• Charlieface says:

And how quickly do they shut you down for abuse when you do that?

• First Class Fiona says:

@Charlieface, 2.5 years and still going ravishingly well. Next question, sweetheart?

Heavens above! £5k a month!! Crikey, how to draw attention yourself!!! 😳

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Hardly. I send more than that to HMRC to pay the PAYE bill every month. Some people with larger or higher-earning payrolls will send in a LOT more…

Unfortunately nothing manufactured about that…. HMRC don’t send anything back 😀 😀

• Andrew L says:

Paying money into your HMRC account isn’t quite the same class of abuse.

• Mark M says:

They will refund if you overpay on account, but I don’t know what the options are.

• mark2 says:

I agree in principle, but do you really make purchases of £5,000 through curve on an IHG card?

• Indeed, I can’t say pay a credit card bill in more than £300 chunks with Curve and IHG Premium

• Secret Squirrel says:

Blue or Metal?

• First Class Fiona says:

@lumma, Creation have daily limits for financial transactions like that. Painful but a necessary evil to keep the fraudulent tramps at bay.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Why pay for Metal?

• Andrew L says:

I think to use Curve to deposit funds where she is may be classed as a curve fronted transaction, hence an additional 1.5% fee if not Curve Metal.

• Secret Squirrel says:

No mention of those type of payment facilities in the original statement, only the place you save money which does not need metal (not yet anyway)!

• First Class Fiona says:

@Secret Squirrel, you need Curve Metal to avoid the 1.5% fee for transactions to a place where people can save money. In the scenario above, you earn far more in points than the £14.99 monthly fee for Metal, so it’s a no-brainer, my darling.

You could also cover the monthly fee by shifting £1,500 per month on champers from M&S, if you select them as one of your six retailers for Curve rewards. Spiffingly good times ahead.

• Secret Squirrel says:

No good for anyone who has not got the IHG Premium card as closed to new applicants so no double points. If anyone thinks Curve is no good, then should go back to school in Sept.😅

• Secret Squirrel says:

@FirstclassFiona:
        I’m still paying in using free Curve blue to that place you mention every week and no charges, back to school.

• First Class Fiona says:

@Secret Squirrel, correct, 1.5% is charged on HMRC transactions. Transactions to the bond house are not charged.

• Not impressed. If you were really good at this you would be paying Creation with your HH visa.

• Andrew L says:

Yeah great. Tell the world why don’t you Some things are really best kept to yourself!! 🙄

• Doug M says:

A few posts ago it was abuse, no you’re just worried others might find out.

• Andrew L says:

I like to think of it as a loophole, Doug M, and one I don’t wish to lose!

• It’s been mentioned many, many times on here. My real secrets I definitely don’t share!

• Andrew L says:

Oh well, I’m clearly an amateur then because that was my only real secret…well I though it was a secret until you turned up and burst my bubble!

• You can reassure yourself that there won’t be a rush to take advantage, especially as the card has been closed to new applicants for simply yonks now (as FCF might say).

• Lady London says:

HH…Another card that’s closed to new applicants. Are we seeing a pattern here?

• Secret Squirrel says:

Lol @ LL.
          Think people stating their current cards, not cards open anymore.

• Crafty says:

Jesus, keep a lid on it! Honestly!

• Ashish says:

I tried to pay IHG free for IHG fee but didn’t succeed.
        My post keep getting deleted. This site doesn’t like manaffacture spend chatting.

• old bob says:

“Talking absolute tripe” magnificently middle class, more please Fiona!

• Secret Squirrel says:

Old Bob, you need to get back to MS School if you think Fionas comments are good. Lots of holes like cheese..

• The Urbanite says:

And plenty to get Curve’s risk engine firing on all cylinders! That fired up engine can get you fired as a customer.

• First Class Fiona says:

@Secret Squirrel, got anything else in your banter locker apart from “back to school”, old bean? I’m hearing it like a broken record, please try something new next time. I bet your school report was a C-

Anyhoo, back to my fine bottle of Barolo…

• Uklzk says:

Really interested the way you using the curve card.

Sorry for the newbie question, what do you mean ‘where people can save mone’ any examples would be appreciated.

• TGLoyalty says:

Somewhere National and has an & in it.

• James says:

Would this type of transaction incur credit card fees? Like uploading money into Revolut?

• Ashish says:

Yes. Can you tell kindly some other places we can do the manaffacture spending too? I’d like to use starling bank?

• The Urbanite says:

@Ashish I tried to top up my Starling card with a credit card at the Post Office. The till was hard coded to accept cash only and the assistant could not cancel the transaction so I got walked to an ATM to withdraw enough to cover it. Not one of my most dignified moments ever.

Starling has its place in the wallet but not for generating points.

• The Urbanite says:

Eventually Curve will warn you off cash recycling, especially if doing so for Curve Cash. They will also warn you off excessive cash withdrawals.

They’re well within their rights to close cards due to breach of T&Cs, especially where the breaches cost them money or could upset the credit card issuers.

As for the people calling Curve pointless, not only is this a reverse pun if you will but a clever way to get people to openly post the cash recycling routes and shorten their shelf life!

• First Class Fiona says:

@The Urbanite, take advantage of cash recycling opportunities while you can. They all get closed eventually so ride the wave and enjoy the ride! Tally-ho!

• The Urbanite says:

@First Class Fiona I’m into it – I carry out my own research and find new MS routes a few times a week! I’ve not been in the game for long, but long enough to have seen routes finished after being openly discussed! Whilst others that have been open since I started a few years back remain unhindered – and have never made it to onto the internet.

• The Urbanite says:

Agreed everything has a shelf life!

• Andrew L says:

From reading between the lines, as long as you pay them £14.99 a month and can get away with it, Curve are more than happy for you to do it and if you don’t pay them £14.99, they’ll still allow you to do whatever you want to do, as long as you allow them to take 1.5% for your endeavours.

• Secret Squirrel says:

You don’t even need to pay £14.99 for the privelidge, try it on the free card and all still works.

• SS, is there daily weekly monthly limit for put money in place start with N using free card?

• It’s worth point out that Curve now actively encourage such behaviour on their website!

“Pay bills on your terms.
        Curve Fronted lets you pay your taxes and credit card bills with an underlying credit card so you can spread out the cost, and maybe even bank some serious rewards points in the process.”

4. If your curve card has expired, will the replace foc?

5. Andrew L says:

Yes. You will get a replacement card when yoirs expires, you just can’t apply for a new IHG black card.

6. My Curve card does not seem to be working since last weekend. Do you need to update the app or anything or should it just now work?

• mr_jetlag says:

update required

• First Class Fiona says:

@Pid, pop along to your app store and you should see a Curve update. Bloody marvellous stuff.

• Andrew L says:

I’m still shocked at the £1,500 every month on champers from M&S, that you mentioned above, just to get a rebate on your Curve metal fee. You are living the dream, Fiona. First Class Fiona indeed!!

• First Class Fiona says:

@Andrew L, I don’t spend that much on champers every month old bean but one has to entertain with appropriate beverages. I also use my other five retailers to try and cover the monthly fee.

What you can also do is spend £1,500 on items that are easily returned and refunded. Guess what happens to your Curve points on a refund? That’s right, nothing! They aren’t reclaimed and they stay in your Curve cash. If that isn’t bloody tremendous, I don’t know what is.

Bottoms up!

😂 You are a hoot, Fiona. Top class! Thank you

• Alex W says:

That is really stretching the limits of morality for me. Costing curve money and they get nothing in return. How to make them go bust…

• Secret Squirrel says:

If your any good at this game you’ll make Curve Metal pay you nicely each month.

• Been having a problem paying HMRC VAT lately, any idea how to get around this error:

Sorry, there is a problem with the service
        You can select another payment option or try again later.

It comes up after entering curve card details, occasionally I get a payment through but wondered if there is a trick to it (on curve metal). Thanks

• old bob says:

Daz,
          I find that when I have neglected to pay, or more usually genuinely can’t be arsed to cough up. I get the inevitable reminder to pay, that sending an email along the lines of;

” Dear HMRC, Thank you for contacting me, I am away on leave, traveling through time and will be returning last week” generally confuses the average civil servant, and gives me more time to enjoy a jar or three with Geoff in my local.

7. Riccatti says:

Kudos to Curve.

I had a refund reaching my Curve card on Friday, June 26th. (Merchant issued it some earlier in the week). I see it today reflecting on my underlying card.

I was prepared not to see this for months (if Wirecard Card Solutions accounts were in administration and client money not properly ringfenced).

Truly impressive.