Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways Gatwick short-haul flights suspended until 9th November

There are currently no short-haul British Airways flights from London Gatwick.  The only departures are a handful of Caribbean flights – one per day – which are operating from the North Terminal.  BA’s home in the South Terminal remains closed.

British Airways was planning to resume services from Gatwick Airport on 9th September.

This now appears to have changed.  Looking at ba.com, it seems that London Gatwick short-haul flights have been pulled until 9th November.

British Airways Gatwick flights suspended until November 2020

You can check this easily.  Look at London to Amsterdam for 9th November and you will see three flights from Gatwick.  Click back a day to Sunday 8th November or earlier and there is nothing.

This is clearly a fluid situation.  It may be that the move to November was only decided when the new restrictions on travel to Spain were brought in on Saturday.

One factor which will decide when flights move back will be a decision on whether the ‘use it or lose it’ rule for airport take-off and landing slots is brought back for the IATA Winter flying ‘season’.

If British Airways is at risk of losing its London Heathrow slots due to non use, you can be fairly certain that nothing will be moving back to Gatwick until late March due to the need to ‘slot sit’.

Comments (86)

• Fred says:

Only Caribbean? Isn’t the Bermuda route back flying again?

• Anna says:

Yes, hardly anyone realises Bermuda is not in the Caribbean, or even particularly close to it! (Unlike the Bahamas, which are technically in the Atlantic but still quite close to the Caribbean) 😂

• Craig says:

I have Avios flights to Malaga in October, still showing in MMB from Gatwick. Will this be moved to Heathrow or just cancelled? To be honest at the moment I’d be happy for them to cancel and refund my £35pp and Avios.

• Tim says:

I have flights booked from LGW to SZG in September, two tickets paid with Avios and two cash. We also have hotels booked.

• LewisB says:

My Vegas flight in November us still showing as confirmed from Gatwick South. It’s the week after the short-haul flights intend to restart. I’m hoping it either gets cancelled or I’m allowed to apply for a voucher.

• John T says:

You would think its unlikely they will be operating flights to leisure destinations in the USA this year…

• Lou says:

How interesting… We’ve got flights to SKG from Gatwick end of September, which is still showing in the app, but it appears there are no flights with BA now when I do a search!

• Jonathan says:

There’s always a lag between when BA cancel a flight & stop selling seats & existing bookings updating. You’ll get an e-mail in next few days. You may also have to log out & in again on App to get it to update status.

• MadeUpName says:

Same here. I’m concerned they’ve pulled the route completely as at least with other destinations you can see LHR flights

• Adam says:

We’re also flying to SKG in Sept. Already got confirmation of the outbound change from LHR. The return is not visible anymore but I guess this will also be announced as returning to LHR.

• Greer says:

I’m fuming! I live in Tonbridge which is ideally placed between Gatwick and Ashford for the Eurostar. Now there are no BA flights from Gatwick and no Paris services from Ashford, it doubles the length of my trips to France because I have to go backwards! Grrrrr.

• Will says:

Interesting. My Portugal flights for October appear to have moved to Heathrow but no notification as of yet.

• Ali G says:

I called yesterday to cancel my Heathrow – Larnaca and Tel Aviv – Heathrow flights for 1 – 18 Sep and was told that they had already been cancelled by BA. I had not received any email notification.