Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways Gatwick short-haul flights suspended until 9th November

There are currently no short-haul British Airways flights from London Gatwick.  The only departures are a handful of Caribbean flights – one per day – which are operating from the North Terminal.  BA’s home in the South Terminal remains closed.

British Airways was planning to resume services from Gatwick Airport on 9th September.

This now appears to have changed.  Looking at ba.com, it seems that London Gatwick short-haul flights have been pulled until 9th November.

British Airways Gatwick flights suspended until November 2020

You can check this easily.  Look at London to Amsterdam for 9th November and you will see three flights from Gatwick.  Click back a day to Sunday 8th November or earlier and there is nothing.

This is clearly a fluid situation.  It may be that the move to November was only decided when the new restrictions on travel to Spain were brought in on Saturday.

One factor which will decide when flights move back will be a decision on whether the ‘use it or lose it’ rule for airport take-off and landing slots is brought back for the IATA Winter flying ‘season’.

If British Airways is at risk of losing its London Heathrow slots due to non use, you can be fairly certain that nothing will be moving back to Gatwick until late March due to the need to ‘slot sit’.

Comments (86)

• ChrisC says:

15.30 just got email through about LGW-AMS and now formally cancelled so obviously working through the system.

• ChrisC says:

Just called 20 mins before spoike to an operator then a couple of minutes to cancel.

Agent said I could rebook to LHR but no pressure to do that or take a voucher

• Andrew says:

My booking on 24 September to ACE is now cancelled on MMB. Ho hum.

• AndyW says:

interestingly just had Gatwick to Orlando for next March cancelled. They now have a flight showing from Heathrow.

• Craig says:

MMB now showing my flight for October is cancelled with options to accept Heathrow or cancel. Will cancelling create a full refund?

• Travel Yoda says:

Cancelling online only takes you to voucher page. Got to ring for a refund. I got through in 20 mins at 4.30pm. Don’t pick any options on the phone. You get cut off when choose option 3 for refunds.

• Rob says:

Think it takes you to the voucher. Cash refunds usually require a call. Try it and see but don’t go too far through the process!

• Craig says:

Yep, voucher only, holding as we speak.

• Jeremy says:

HI Rob my flights on the BA Holiday to Lanzarote booked for September have been moved from Gatwick to Heathrow , they have kept the same flight number , given BA Cancelled my Original flights and move the ariport and flight times am I entitled to cancel for a full refund as its a BA Holiday, I may wait a bit but would prefer hard cash to a voucher refund.

• Pete says:

My LGW to MCO (Orlando) flights which were for March 2021 have been cancelled today. I’ve not had any explanation as yet as to why. I would be very surprised if they drop Orlando. I expect them to change it to LHR, but the email that I have says I can get a voucher or a refund.

• AndyW says:

Looks like they are switching to Heathrow. Same email and I moved it to Heathrow on manage my booking.

• Nigel black says:

Me to ! My orlando flight from LGW on December 11th was also cancelled today ! After doing a bit of checking it is because the Gatwick Orlando route is only operating Mon/Wed/Sat whereas from Heathrow it’s daily

• John Gallagher says:

My flight in September 20, booked in December 19, has been cancelled and I’ve been offered LHR-ALC same day/times. Can I now cancel and receive a cash refund?

• Craig says:

I did, you have to call, I think the call centre closes at 8pm. Took me about 40 mins to get through.

• miles brown says:

we were going to Malta too in sept from LGW , got email from BA confirming they have moved to Heathrow , same flights , time and seats

• J says:

I’m not sure BA had any real long term interest in Gatwick anyway – expansion there was just a spoiler to try put Norwegian out of business.