Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways changes its ‘Book with Confidence’ policy (again)

British Airways has once again changed its ‘Book with Confidence’ policy.  This only covers new bookings – nothing has changed if you booked before 3rd March.

Full details are on ba.com here.

British Airways Book with Confidence extended

The new bookings policy was previously set to expire on 13th October 2020.  This was only a two week extension from the previous deadline of 30th September 2020.

A two week extension was, frankly, a bit odd.  I was told that there are internal disagreements at the airline about what to do next, and nudging it forward by a fortnight was meant to buy some time.  It seems there is still no agreement.

What has changed with ‘Book With Confidence’?

The booking deadline has gone.

There is now no reference to having to book by 13th October or any other date.  For now, it is an open ended commitment.

The new policy waives the change fee for new bookings made between 3rd March and an unspecified end date for travel until 31st August 2021.  You will have to pay any difference in fare, however.

Alternatively, you can exchange the value of your ticket for a Future Travel Voucher valid until 30th April 2022.  Remember that, for bookings made purely with cash and with no Avios element, these vouchers now come as an eVoucher and can be used online without having to call British Airways.

British Airways book with confidence extended

What happens if you booked before coronavirus?

If you booked before 3rd March 2020, the deadline remains 31st October.

You can change your booking for another date, or request a voucher, as long as you are flying before 31st October.  You will need to pay any fare difference if you change your dates.

Note that there is a clear difference here:

Booked before 3rd March?  You can change your flight, or request a voucher, if you are travelling by 31st October 2020

Booked on or after 3rd March?  You can change your flight, or request a voucher, if you are travelling by 30th August 2021

Remember that British Airways is legally required to offer a full cash refund if it cancels flights.  Before requesting a refund via a travel voucher, you may prefer to wait to see if your flight is cancelled, allowing you to ask for cash.

Full details of the ‘Book with Confidence’ guarantee are on ba.com here.

Comments (54)

• PeterK says:

I still don’t understand why the travel period hasn’t been extended to include September 2021!

• Lucy says:

I used a BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher to book flights LHR to Seoul in December 2019 for travel in November 2020. We actually wanted to travel to Japan, so when reward availability opened up in June for flights to Tokyo, I changed the Seoul flights to Tokyo (paying 2 x £35 change fee). It is now looking like it will not be possible to fly to Tokyo, what are my options for getting a refund? Would these flights count as having been booked in December 2019 or June 2020? Ideally I would like to be able to take the flights in November 2021. Can I rebook the flights for next year, get a voucher or do I have to pay another £70 to cancel the flights? Would

• Pauline says:

If ba cancel you can rebook in same class 355 days later even if there is no avios availability in the booked class- is that correct? Do both the outbound and inbound have to be within the 355 day period? Has anyone done this?

• marcw says:

from time of booking.

• Rob says:

That was the case – someone said over the weekend that BA was now refusing this but still worth a call. Could have been a confused agent. Must be both legs because it is impossible for an airline ticket to exist beyond 355 days from original ticketing.

• iain miller says:

Just Noticed my BA 2-4-1 voucher has been extended by another six months from Feb 21 to Aug 21. Was issued in August 2018!

• Joe says:

I have used my 241voucher for return flight to Japan for 21st April 2021. If BA cancel the flight due to restrictions in Japan, how far in advance will BA inform me of the cancel flight. My final payment for my car rental of £520 is due on the 25th March 2021. I have paid £60 deposit and would lose my deposit if I cancel my booking.

• Jonathan says:

I’m at a loss knowing what to do.

I was due to take my mother First Class to Boston. I booked with Avios and a Amex Companion voucher.

When I called they encouraged me to take a voucher otherwise I would lose the companion voucher if we didn’t travel by May.

However, there was hardly any availability. Also, she has always wanted to go in the Fall, plus I specifically booked a flight route that had the new Club Suite.

With a voucher, that allows us to go up to April 2022. However, when I search dates in September and October, nothing is available (as if I’m booking a regular fare). My worry is I end up with a voucher but can’t use due to availability.

I’m leaning towards getting my cash and avios back which will be a shame as I worked hard to put as much through my Amex as possible to trigger the voucher (paying interest as a result).

• Rhys says:

Firstly, are you going First Class or Club Suite? Because those are two different cabins!

What do you mean you aren’t seeing ‘normal’ availability? I can see cash fares for first class until September, which is as far in advance as you can book right now.