Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: Get up to 40% off a Priority Pass, Hotel Indigo Manchester deals – from £33!

News in brief:

Save 40% on a Priority Pass airport lounge card

Priority Pass is an airport lounge club which allows you to access over 1,300 lounges across the world, irrespective of your airline status or ticket type. Normally we make a big song and dance about the Priority Pass Black Friday offer, which is their biggest discount of the year.

For obvious reasons, it is a lower key deal this year.

However, if your card is expiring or you are willing to gamble that saving 40% now is a better deal than paying full price in 2-3 months, here are the prices:

• £41 (was £69) for the ‘pay as you go’ card costing £20 per lounge visit
  • £141 (was £189) for the ’10 visits included’ card, with guests or additional visits costing £20
  • £288 (was £339) for the ‘unlimited’ card, with guests costing £20 per lounge visit

The £141 card is the sweet spot for most people. If you are prepared to pay £288 for the ‘unlimited’ card, I’d suggest getting The Platinum Card from American Express instead.

This comes with TWO Priority Pass cards – one for you and one for your supplementary cardholder, and each gets you AND a guest into an unlimited number of lounges for free. It is ideal for a family of four.

The Black Friday offer page is here. Our full review of The Platinum Card, if you want to take that route instead, is here.

Priority Pass Black Friday discount

Two excellent deals at the Hotel Indigo Manchester

One hotel which is definitely not prepared to go down without a fight is the new Hotel Indigo in Manchester.

Rhys had a ‘hard hat’ tour of the hotel when it was still being built and liked what he saw. They have gone a good job converting an old warehouse near Victoria Station.

On Sundays in December, the hotel is selling rooms for £33.95 which is crazy for a property of this quality. This is the ihg.com price so you’d also get all your elite benefits and earn points and status credits on top.

Via Travelzoo, there is deal which is available every day. For £99, you get:

• overnight accommodation in a Standard Room
  • a bottle of prosecco in the room upon arrival (worth £28)
  • a 2-course à la carte dinner for two in the 2 AA Rosette restaurant
  • full English breakfast for two
  • late checkout until 12pm

You can add a 2nd night (with breakfast but not another dinner) for an extra £60. There are no blackout dates except for 24-25th December and New Years Eve.

Note that your voucher is refundable if you can’t use it. You have until 30th April to stay.

Full details are on Travelzoo here.

Comments (26)

• Jack says:

Rob, I would change the headline to ‘up to 40% off’ for the priority pass, as only the cheapest option has such discount. It is only 25% and 15% for other two options.

• Gothbe says:

10% discount and 15 months membership here and maybe you can combine offers

• sayling says:

“Please don’t ask me why the Amex version allows free guests but Priority Pass will not sell you, directly, a version which lets guests in for free.”

Fair enough, Rob.

Rhys: Why won’t Priority Pass sell me…

• ChrisW says:

You would have to be crazy to purchase a Priority Pass membership right now. The vast majority of their lounges have been closed for several months with no indication of reopening timelines. Even if you get in you can expect a very watered-down experience compared with normal.

Don’t expect any third party lounges will have implemented clever new menus you can order from your seat through a QR code like BA have in their lounges.

Priority Pass only offered a 3 month extension to paid lounge memberships this year because of the pandemic while loyalty programs offered 12+ month extension to reflect that people weren’t travelling. I sure have had more than 3 months this year when I haven’t been flying normally!

I took several flights over summer from several different airports and every single PP lounge was closed.

I would not recommend purchasing, or renewing your PP membership – they could and should have done a LOT more to help their grounded members this year.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

Maybe they have helped their grounded members by staying in business and giving them something to return to.

• ChrisW says:

What would have been the cost to PP of extending memberships by another 3 months given most members aren’t visiting their lounges either because the lounges or closed or the members aren’t travelling?

PP are making plenty of money off all those unused annual memberships

• Lady London says:

I agree they should have done some kind of extension that effectively extended the expiry date a further 12 months whilst keeping the effective cost per visit to £14 i.e. the middle pass. This keeps the card in people’s wallet till they are flying enough to decide about their lounge choices going forward.

On the unlimited pass that’s a bit more tricky but compared to several other options, the unlimited has looked overpriced in most worlds for a while now

My strategy has gone from unlimited Priority Pass which I had for a few years, to pay as you go in Europe and the USA.

I would get the mid-level £141 pass but only if I was going to oe through Asia. There is reasonable choice and some level of quality there. This even before Covid. Now we’ve got Covid, a validity of 18 months I would consider and 2 years from purchase would get my goodwill.

• Doug M says:

I like a lounge, but I always wonder about real value. There’s a part of me that’s convinced that spending a bit in a place of my choice at the airport would be a much better deal. I suppose which airports you use, which lounges are available to you, all have to be factored in. I had the Amex Plat twice, first time for points and hotel statuses that seem to have stuck, maybe random timing, and second time for points and lounge access. The only lounges I used via Plat were the Plaza Prem at T5 (very nice), for a change from the BA longes, and a couple of Amex lounges in the US. The Amex lounges were very good but incredibly busy, every seat taken climb over luggage busy.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Well, 1/4 their annual revenue logically no?

• Alan says:

Agree, I certainly wouldn’t be jumping on this offer – you’re going to lose about half your membership year before things open up again!

• Georg says:

This was not my experience during summer. Got into independent lounges through PP, which were previously – but not any more – accessible with LH Gold Card.

• Jonathan says:

I purchased a priority pass last year, which gave 10 free visits, after visiting just a couple of the lounges (I had anticipated to use the pass about 8 times or so, then COVID-19 happened) I quickly realised the pass wasn’t worth its money based on the food on offer at the lounges I used, poor drinks offering etc. It was nice to have a quiet area to sit down in, but the lounges that are on offer, only one of them was probably worth the visit. Even then it busy and fairly noisy (for an airport lounge). I’m not going to name any names with lounges on here, that’s unfair to their management teams

• Ziggy says:

The most irritating thing about PP is that its Black Friday prices don’t offer the best deal available for any of its membership levels.

• RussellH says:

> a bottle of prosecco in the room upon arrival (worth £28).

I assume that that means they list the prosecco at that price on their wine list, not that is worth anything like that amount?

• Sam says:

Is 12pm even a late checkout? 😂 Surprised they have the guts to advertise this way