Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways to launch a partnership with Brazilian airline GOL?

According to Brazilian newspaper Globo, British Airways and GOL have agreed a frequent flyer partnership.

The article states that it is only for frequent flyer redemption and not earning. This seems highly unlikely, so I suspect that what we will actually see is a full codeshare combined with frequent flyer earn and burn benefits.

This is a sensible move for British Airways. Since LATAM left the oneworld alliance earlier this year, British Airways lost some connectivity options in South America.

GOL has a 40% share of the domestic market in Brazil. It has hubs in both Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro which would allow connections to and from British Airways services.

how to earn avios from credit cards

How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (January 2021)

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

There are two official British Airways American Express cards:

British Airways American Express card

British Airways American Express

5,000 Avios for signing up, no annual fee and a companion voucher for spending £20,000 Read our full review

BA Premium Plus American Express card BAPP

British Airways American Express Premium Plus

25,000 Avios and the UK’s most valuable credit card perk – the 2-4-1 companion voucher Read our full review

You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points, such as:

Nectar American Express

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

Your best beginner’s card – 20,000 points, FREE for a year & two airport lounge passes Read our full review

American Express Platinum card Amex

The Platinum Card from American Express

30,000 points and an unbeatable set of travel benefits – for a fee Read our full review

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.

If you have a small business, we especially recommend Capital On Cap’s Visa card which comes with a generous bonus worth 10,500 Avios:

Capital On Tap Business Rewards Visa

The most generous Avios Visa or Mastercard for a limited company Read our full review

(Want to earn more Avios?  Click here to visit our home page for our latest articles on earning and spending your Avios points and click here to see how to earn more Avios this month from offers and promotions.)

Comments (69)

• Peter S says:

Morning all! Alas, neither the “Spend £100, receive 1500 Avios” nor the “£20 off an £80+ spend at Fenwick and Bentalls department stores, expiring 31st December” offer are on my BA Amex Premium Plus. Strange as usually the offers come through with no problem. Are they targeted like the Harrods £100 one? Any thoughts?

• Harry T says:

All Amex offers are targeted, unless explicitly offered to all cardholders (I’m thinking of the Platinum amex £100 off at certain retailers off).

• Simon says:

I don’t have them either, in fact I have a total of 4 offers across platinum, BA PP and Marriott cards

• MD says:

These “saved” 747s, anyone have a rough idea what BA are selling them for? Idle curiosity – I’m not in the market for one!

• Andrew says:

Donated I would imagine – they are a massive sitting advert for BA for years to come.

• Richard M says:

Nor me. Garden not quite big enough.

• Bagoly says:

Garden big enough.
        But even if we wanted to cut down the trees, I don’t think hosting a 747 would be a good enough reason to get permission to do so.

• William Kerr says:

no offers on either my free BA Amex or Rewards as at 06.30

• Tyra says:

How is Amex targeting the offers? I wasn’t targeted for the Harrods offer or the ones mentioned in this article and I have 3 cards with them. Calling up doesn’t help anymore, as they can no longer add offers straight away. They have to send the request to the “back office”, which is pretty much a black hole for queries.

• BuildTheWall says:

Try to put a variety of spending on your Amex card and perhaps use it as your daily spending card.

• Alex Sm says:

I do this exactly and only get weird offers for expensive cufflinks, will writing and such – no free Avios or sensible cashback (apart from occasional Caffè Nero, but it’s peanuts)

• BuildTheWall says:

Is that on Plat or Gold cards? Offers with big discounts are usually offered to these customers as they are either spending a lot or have paid a large fee – therefore can spend a lot. Even Marriott and BAPP cards have got some decent offers recently.

• Alex Sm says:

I had a Black BA card until recently, now downgraded to the Blue one

• Stu p says:

Radisson hotels also appeared for me, spend £150 get £50 back.

• Andrew says:

I wonder if the Selfridges offer which still says online only will work instore now

• Harry T says:

I was expecting them to add an in-store option. Maybe it will take a day or two.

• vol says:

Got “Spend £100 get 500 Avios” which seems to be a different variation.

Got the Fenwick…

Seem to have this too: spend £500 at Riwola, get 7000 MR points..

• FS says: