Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Got Amex Gold? You will receive a Priority Pass airport lounge card very soon

As we suggested was likely last year, American Express has announced some good news for Preferred Rewards Gold credit and charge card holders.

Effectively immediately, your Lounge Club airport lounge access card is being replaced by a Priority Pass.

If you have an Amex Gold card, you will receive your Priority Pass within the next three weeks.

Got Amex Gold? You will receive a Priority Pass airport lounge card

The terms are unchanged

This is NOT the ‘unlimited access for you and a guest’ Priority Pass that you receive with American Express Platinum.

It will have the same rules as your existing Lounge Club card:

• you will receive two free lounge visits per card year
  • additional visits will be automatically charged to your American Express Gold card at the rate of £20

If you have already used one or two of your annual lounge passes, these will be deducted from the opening balance on your Priority Pass.

When does my Lounge Club card stop working?

28th February.

Got Amex Gold? You will receive a Priority Pass airport lounge card

Is Priority Pass better than Lounge Club?

Yes, for two reasons:

Priority Pass has a bigger network than Lounge Club

Despite both being owned by the same company, Collinson, the Lounge Club network is smaller.

The Priority Pass network has over 1,200 lounges in it (albeit quite a few are currently shut, but give it time ……).

This HfP article is a little out of date but it gives you an idea of the differences between Lounge Club and Priority Pass. Back in 2018, additional UK lounges included Heathrow, Southend, Newquay, Norwich, Exeter, Glasgow, Jersey, Doncaster Sheffield and Derry.

Got Amex Gold? You will receive a Priority Pass airport lounge card

Priority Pass has digital membership cards

You no longer need to worry about forgetting your plastic Lounge Club card.

You can download the Priority Pass app to your smartphone and use the digital membership card to enter lounges.

Conclusion

This is a genuine improvement to American Express Preferred Rewards Gold, giving access to a wider range of lounges.

Being able to use a digital membership card stored on your phone will also make your life easier.

If you don’t have Amex Gold, we ran a full Preferred Rewards Gold review last week.

With NO FEE for the first year, two airport lounge visits via Priority Pass and a whopping 20,000 American Express Membership Rewards points as a sign-up bonus (converting to 20,000 Avios), it is an impressive package. It is also a great first step for someone starting off with miles and points.

You can apply for the card here.

Nectar American Express

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

Read our full reviewApply here

Other information:

• Amex Gold is our recommended ‘first card’ for a miles and points beginner
  • You receive two free airport lounge passes when you sign up, and a further two passes each year if you renew
  • After your two free passes, you can visit further lounges for a small fee
  • Annual fee: Free for the first year, £140 from Year 2

Representative 56.6% APR variable, from Year 2, based on an assumed £1,200 credit limit and £140 annual fee. Interest rate on purchases and in Year 1 22.2% APR variable (representative example).

See if you qualify for the 20,000 points sign-up bonus +

You will receive 20,000 American Express Membership Rewards points as a sign-up bonus on the American Express Preferred Rewards Gold card if you spend £3,000 within 90 days of signing up.

Membership Rewards points are hugely flexible, which is why we recommend this as the best choice for your first miles and points card.  You can transfer them into Avios, Virgin Flying Club or other airlines (at 1:1) or into various hotels schemes, into Club Eurostar or use them for shopping vouchers.

To qualify for the bonus, you must NOT, currently or in the previous 24 months, have held any other personal American Express card.

You are OK if you had a supplementary card on someone else’s American Express account.

You are OK if, currently or in the previous 24 months, you have held a Business American Express card.

For clarity, you can still apply for the American Express Preferred Rewards Gold card even if you do not qualify for the bonus.  You would still benefit from the two free airport lounge passes and the ‘no fee in Year 1’ offer.

Learn more about the card benefits +

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold comes with two free airport lounge passes.  These allow either you and a friend, or yourself twice, to visit any lounge in the Priority Pass network.  You make additional lounge visits for £20 per person.  You receive an additional two free passes each year.

You earn double Membership Rewards points on all airline spend (made directly on an airline website) and all spend made outside the UK.

If you spend over £15,000 in a card year, you will receive an additional 10,000 Membership Rewards points when you renew.

Other benefits include a 10% discount on Hertz car rentals and special deals at 350 selected hotels worldwide, where Preferred Rewards Gold cardholders receive a $75 in-hotel credit per stay.

Comments (34)

• Michael C says:

So should I just dump OH’s supplementary BAPP and get him to sign up for Gold?

• Justin says:

I’m happy Lounge Club is being replaced with Priority Pass and welcome the change.

There’s one problem I can think of with this, although not so important to some…. I currently don’t see an option for the Priority Pass App to add a second card. For example, I have one with my Platinum Card already and can’t have two Priority Pass apps on my iPhone and would prefer not carrying around an additional card in my wallet.

From past experience, their system seems poorly setup or the agents were just lazy… when I previously I got a new priority pass card (after upgrading back to Platinum) Priority Pass agents were unable to re-use my email registered to the original Priority Pass card (or even replace my old Priority Pass card number with the new one on that account).

The only thing they suggested was to create another account attached to another e-mail. Therefore, I already have two Priority Pass accounts. If Priority Pass are unable to add additional cards to a single account, it’d be rather annoying to create yet another Priority Pass Account for the Gold card.

• Justin says:

And for some reason it only just crossed my mind it won’t be needed anyways as the Platinum version allows unlimited visits… forget what I just said… doh!

Even though they’re owned by the same company, does anyone know if the smaller Lounge Club network had any lounges not included with Priority Pass?

• TGLoyalty says:

If you already hold a both the Plat and Gold consider what name you get the gold or platinum in.

Ie my supp platinum simply says my surname (same for my PP) so any member of my family can use it. It would be the same for your main card for example.

• Justin says:

Thanks for the tip!!! That’s an excellent idea!

Out of curiosity, how did you get around entering a Title and Forename for the card? I just checked and those are mandatory when trying online.

• TGLoyalty says:

you don’t you just choose the name that’s displayed on the card

the lounge dragon just checks your PP card name vs your boarding pass.

• C says:

I tried doing this for my parents but when they scan the priority pass at the lounge it shows your full name on the system. The lounge did notice this but they still let me parents in

• TGLoyalty says:

That is the possible flaw in the plan I haven’t actually registered the supp PP online so no idea what it says but its worked a couple times in the past between my bro and sister borrowing it.

Would probably have more mileage at premium plaza and Eurostar lounges as they just scan the card and won’t see the cardholders full name.

• Justin says:

@C Thanks for letting me know, I will keep that in mind. Hopefully staff will be as flexible when my supp holders try this.

@TGLoyalty I am unfortunately unable to reply to your post directly, but thanks very much for your help. I’ve been putting off giving away my free supp Plat card for a while now and have only given green ones (as I was waiting to see who my first international traveling sibling would be). Thanks to your advice I’ve finally chosen to get the supp Plat displaying just our last name which will be much more useful. I’ll also avoid registering this one on an app!

• Dan says:

Meh, got the e-mail this morning saying that my Amex Gold card benefits have been ‘upgraded’ lol – I think calling it an ‘upgrade’ is a bit of a stretch considering how tiny the difference is.

• Rob says:

Depends where you live. Big change if you live near one of the UK regional airports which didn’t take Lounge Club.