Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get 1,500 Avios with Disney+, and beat the £20 price rise

Despite having two children, I have managed to avoid signing up for the new Disney+ streaming service so far. They are possibly in the age gap between the animated classics and the superhero movies.

(I did get a free year of Apple TV with my new iPhone, but I am still struggling to find any watchable free content on it.)

If signing-up for Disney+ has been at the back of your mind for a while, you should note that the annual subscription cost is jumping from £59.99 to £79.99 after 23rd February.

An Avios or Virgin Points-shaped carrot

As a further carrot to signing up, the British Airways shopping portal and the Virgin Atlantic Shops Away portal are both offering 1,500 points on top.

If you value an Avios or Virgin Point at 1p, then you are getting your first year of Disney+ for just £45. Even if you use the Avios for Nectar credit at 0.8p per point, you are getting £12 to spend in Sainsbury’s.

The Avios link you need is here.

The Virgin Points link you need is here.

Both services offer a smaller incentive of 75 points if you sign-up for a monthly subscription. This is a poor deal (it isn’t 75 points per month – it is 75 points in total) and you are only protected from the price rise for six months.

Remember that the price rise kicks in after 23rd February.

Comments (92)

• Robert says:

I would sign up for this but can anyone confirm it will work on a smart tv? Got Apple TV for free for 12 months with new phone, and can sign into it on the MacBook which is a barely big enough screen to watch it on, if they aren’t available on our smart tv then prob will give it a miss.

• Rhys says:

Depends what TV.

• Rob says:

Look in your TV’s app store tonight and see if it can be downloaded. If it’s an Android TV like ours then you’re fine.

• mr_jetlag says:

works on all Samsung models – as long as you’re connected to the internet already it downloads all available apps in the background.

• Kevin C says:

I think Apple TV is only on very recent Samsung models. Can’t find it in the apps for mine, which is not that old.

I have an Apple TV box. Expensive but works well.

• Rob says:

Could be. We only bought ours last September.

• Robert says:

Thanks for all the advice, it’s a year old Sony tv and I’ve got Disney+ in the apps, just Apple TV that’s missing. Was also wondering how to get the Harry Potter films for a lockdown re-watch.

• Harrier25 says:

Works on all LG smart TV’s too.

• James says:

I got a Roku stick thing for 30 or 40 quid which allows access to Disney+ and Now TV apps that weren’t on my TV app store. Has been well worth it in lockdown.

• mr_jetlag says:

Yup, should be on all models from 2018 – I have an AppleTV as well for the upstairs telly.

• Angel says:

@Rob: I got a free year of Apple TV myself, and the best thing on there, BY FAR, is Ted Lasso. It’s the best show I watched in 2020, hands down. I also liked The Morning Show. I also liked Mythic Quest: Raven’s Banquet, which you’ll enjoy if you like video games or comedy from the creators of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I’m currently watching Dickinson, and am *really* enjoying that – it’s Hamiltonian in sharing the story of a famous American poet who lived in pre-Civil-War Massachusetts, with sets and costumes from that era, but using modern language and music. If you watched and liked The Great, you might like this.

• ChrisC says:

I’m loving ‘The Great’. Good Sunday night viewing on C4

I love that it’s totally bonkers and huge fun to watch. Whilst the Helen Mirren version on Sky was more accurate The Great is just escapism with some history.

HUZZA!

• Lee Coppins-Brown says:

Thanks for the tip Rob, been contemplating getting Disney+ for the grandkids for ages, this was just the catalyst I needed (and handy as hotel and airline rewards info is so diminished now, still enjoying HFP till things pick up)

• Ghosty says:

I agree with everyone about Ted Lasso, I loved the show but couldn’t explain to anyone why.
    I did refer to it as a live action series of Ned Flanders

• Andrew says:

This does not work if you have an active subscription it seems. My subscription expires in March so I cancelled the renewal and tried the link. No cigar.

• lumma says:

Just use a different email address to sign up again

• Andrew says:

Yes thanks. I was hoping to avoid that. Its become a nuisance creating new email addresses every time I want to take up an offer.

• Jane says:

I can’t get it to work either. My subscription ends at the end of Feb and i just can’t get the link to work. It isn’t in my list of “special offers” at shopping.ba.com and the HfP link takes me to a login screen that I can’t get past. V frustrating.

• Delbert says:

Thanks, Rob. Took this deal as fills a hole between Netflix and Prime for my wife and the Avios are most welcome.

Within 15 seconds of downloading the Disney+ app on our LG TV my wife had started Mulan the movie.

• Peter says:

Just went to see about this. Price rise was on the 23rd not after 23rd. I was much to slow this time!