Adding a supplementary cardholder to your American Express card has two key benefits:
- you earn points, and trigger sign-up bonuses, more quickly when two people are carrying a card
- you receive a second batch of cardholder cashback offers, as long as the supplementary card is registered online
On most of the American Express cards, you would also receive bonus points for adding a supplementary cardholder.
This is NOT usually a benefit for holders of the Marriott, Nectar, Amex Rewards Credit Card or Harrods American Express card. However, for a limited period, it is – see the Amex website here.
Until 31st July, you will receive:
- 3,000 Marriott Bonvoy points when you add your first supplementary card to your Marriott Bonvoy American Express
- 3,000 Nectar points when you add your first supplementary card to your Nectar American Express
- 2,000 Membership Rewards points when you add your first supplementary card to your American Express Rewards Card or Amex Green card
- 1,000 Harrods Rewards points when you add your first supplementary card to your Harrods American Express card
This are valuable incentives, given that the supplementary card is free:
- 3,000 Marriott Bonvoy points are worth £15 using HfP valuations
- 3,000 Nectar points are worth 1,875 Avios, which are worth £18.75 using HfP valuations (or use them for £15 of Sainsbury’s shopping)
- 2,000 Membership Rewards points are worth 2,000 Avios (£20 on our valuations) if you choose to use them for that
- 1,000 Harrods Rewards points are worth £10
The points will post very quickly. You should see them within 3-4 days of applying for the supplementary card. There is no requirement to spend a particular amount on the supplementary card.
How to apply
American Express has a special website for adding supplementary cards which you can find here.
This page also contains the standard supplementary card offers for the core Amex cards.
You cannot apply for a supplementary American Express Rewards Credit Card via that page. You need to log into your online Amex account and follow the link on your statement page, which may be under the ‘Offers’ section.
These special offers for adding supplementary American Express cards will run until 31st July.
Want to earn more points from credit cards? – May 2021 update
If you are looking to apply for a new credit or charge card, here are our May 2021 recommendations based on the current sign-up bonus.
If you have your own business, don’t miss our EXCLUSIVE offer on the Capital On Tap Business Rewards Visa card, worth 29,900 Avios. See below.
You can see our full directory of all UK cards which earn airline or hotel points here. Here are the other top current deals:
British Airways American Express
5,000 Avios for signing up, no annual fee and a companion voucher for spending £20,000 Read our full review
British Airways American Express Premium Plus
25,000 Avios and the UK’s most valuable credit card perk – the 2-4-1 companion voucher Read our full review
American Express Preferred Rewards Gold
Your best beginner’s card – 20,000 points, FREE for a year & two airport lounge passes Read our full review
The Platinum Card from American Express
30,000 points and an unbeatable set of travel benefits – for a fee Read our full review
Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Mastercard
15,000 points bonus and the most generous non-Amex for day to day spending Read our full review
Earning miles and points from small business cards
If you are a sole trader or run a small company, you may also want to check out these offers.
Until 20th May 2021, you can receive a sign-up bonus worth 29,900 Avios with the Capital On Tap Business Rewards Visa credit card. This offer is exclusive to Head for Points readers. Click here to learn more.
American Express Business Gold
20,000 points sign-up bonus and free for a year Read our full review
American Express Business Platinum
40,000 points sign-up bonus and a long list of travel benefits Read our full review
British Airways Accelerating Business American Express
Earn both Avios and BA On Business points with your business spending Read our full review
Capital On Tap Business Rewards Visa
The most generous Avios Visa or Mastercard for a limited company Read our full review
Disclaimer: Head for Points is a journalistic website. Nothing here should be construed as financial advice, and it is your own responsibility to ensure that any product is right for your circumstances. Recommendations are based primarily on the ability to earn miles and points and do not consider interest rates, service levels or any impact on your credit history. By recommending credit cards on this site, I am – technically – acting as a credit broker. Robert Burgess, trading as Head for Points, is regulated and authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority to act as a credit broker.