Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

NEW: Curve Card launches cashback rewards

If you have a Curve Card sitting in a drawer, you may want to dig it out again.

Curve has launched a new cashback rewards programme. This allows you to earn cashback, credited to the ‘Curve Cash’ part of your Curve account, when you spend at qualifying retailers.

I don’t know:

• if this is currently targeted to specific people or card types
  • if this replaces the previous Curve Rewards programme

You must opt-in to each individual retailer offer. There is no ‘add all’ option and, in a bad bit of design, you need to open each offer individually before you can save it to your account. It also isn’t made clear that you do need to opt-in.

Curve Card launches cashback rewards

What is Curve Card?

Here is a quick reminder for new readers about how Curve works. To learn more, read our introductory article to Curve Card here.

Curve Card is an intriguing payment product which has something offer to miles and points collectors.  The key thing to remember is that Curve Card is free – in fact, they pay you £5 for trying it – so you have nothing at risk.

Curve is NOT a bank accountCurve is simply an intermediary card, a Mastercard to which you can link all of your existing Visa and Mastercard payment cards.

Via the Curve app you can select which linked card you want to use at any particular time.  Curve transactions are automatically recharged onto that card.  Even if a shop does not accept credit cards at all, only debit cards, you can still pay with your Curve Mastercard, which is a debit card, and earn miles on the underlying Visa or Mastercard.

You will even earn miles and points on ATM cash withdrawals up to certain limits.

You can find out more about Curve in this article. You can sign-up here via my refer-a-friend page, which gets you £5 for joining.

How do I find Curve cashback rewards?

Open the Curve app and click on ‘Rewards’ at the bottom. If you get a blank screen, try fully closing the Curve app and reopening it.

You will see a screen like this:

Curve Card launches cashback rewards

I don’t know if the offers list is personalised or not. This is what I see:

• 5% at fanatics.co.uk or kitbag.com
  • 5% at Five Guys
  • 5% at Coach
  • 5% at Kate Spade
  • 5% at Selfridges (£30 cap, note)
  • 5% at Hawes & Curtis
  • 5% at Quiz
  • 5% at FatFace
  • 5% at Harvey Nichols (online only)
  • 5% at Kidly
  • 5% at Amazon Fresh
  • 5% at Mountain Warehouse
  • £10 at HelloFresh

Some of these offers are doing the rounds on other cashback schemes, and are often more valuable. My MBNA credit card, for example, is offering 7% at FatFace, 10% at Harvey Nichols online, 10% at Coach, 10% at Kate Spade and 15% at Hawes & Curtis.

Is Curve simply negotiating poorer deals because of its smaller size, or is it pocketing the difference between what MBNA is giving out and its own cashback? That said, I haven’t seen a Selfridges offer anywhere else.

Does cashback replace Curve Rewards?

I don’t know if this replaces the old Curve Rewards programme. The Curve website still talks about Curve Rewards and does not mention the new cashback programme.

Curve Rewards was primarily a time-limited scheme for most people:

• free Curve Card holders got 1% cashback at three retailers, chosen from a list, for three months
  • £50 Curve Black holders got 1% cashback at three retailers, chosen from a list, permanently
  • £150 Curve Metal holders got 1% cashback at six retailers, chosen from a list, permanently

This new scheme offers higher rewards and the list of participating retailers will change on a regular basis.

There is no downside – except that so many credit and debit card issuers are now offering cashback rewards, it is increasingly hard to keep up with them, and their impact will inevitably drop.

Comments (140)

• Crafty says:

Must be personalised to a degree, I have Pasta Evangelists for example.

• TGLoyalty says:

This is an additional rewards scheme over and above the existing 6 loyalty merchants for metal holders for example.

• CarpalTravel says:

You may want to double check that. My old loyalty merchants are no more and I didn’t get the cashback this morning.

• TGLoyalty says:

It’s still showing in the app as and the official FAQ says this

Can I earn both Curve Rewards ca$h back and 1% Curve Cash from the same retailers?

Yes! If you’re benefiting from the 1% Curve Cash Programme and you have used an offer from the same retailer, you’ll get both rewards credited to your account, for example:

If you’re a Metal or Black premium customer with Amazon selected as one of your 1% Curve Cash retailers, and you have activated a 10% Curve Rewards offer from Amazon, you will earn a total of 11% ca$h back

Perhaps a bug? Or if you’re not black/metal your 90 days has run out?

• CarpalTravel says:

Thanks for that, all seems pretty clear then. Like you say, there must presumably be a glitch in the matrix somewhere. <:oD

• Catman99 says:

I have 5% back at NS&I……

• CarpalTravel says:

Just shopped at B&Q this morning (2hrs ago) and having read our article dipped into the app. No cashback bonus as I would usually have got immediately and only when selecting the rewards section did I get a prompt that took me through to the list of the same retailers you have listed in this article.

Have to say, I am deeply unimpressed that they have made the change to the rewards without any apparent notification to myself. If not for this article I may not have realised for quite some time. Considering I am up for my metal renewal (and I have ditched the Virgin card) I may now consider my options.

• TGLoyalty says:

See above no change to the 1%. Perhaps a bug or delay in posting.

• Alan says:

Pretty uninspiring list so far – not quite as random as some Amex Offers but very similar to the Lloyds/MBNA/etc ones.

• Kevin C says:

My offers are ‘being prepared’ despite opening several times and updating the app.

Is there a way of seeing what Metal cash back partners you have? I don’t remember what I chose.

• illuminatus says:

Yes, on ‘wallet screen’, click on ‘Curve Cash’ card name, and then again on “Curve Cash’ underneath the card

• cinereus says:

Typically with Curve glitches like this you need to uninstall and reinstall.

• MattB says:

My Santander cards have 5% back at selfridges, not as good as the 10% before Christmas though.

• Alex says:

I have the same list as you Rob – all of which are useless to me or I have better on another card…