Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

NEW: Curve Card launches cashback rewards

If you have a Curve Card sitting in a drawer, you may want to dig it out again.

Curve has launched a new cashback rewards programme. This allows you to earn cashback, credited to the ‘Curve Cash’ part of your Curve account, when you spend at qualifying retailers.

I don’t know:

• if this is currently targeted to specific people or card types
  • if this replaces the previous Curve Rewards programme

You must opt-in to each individual retailer offer. There is no ‘add all’ option and, in a bad bit of design, you need to open each offer individually before you can save it to your account. It also isn’t made clear that you do need to opt-in.

Curve Card launches cashback rewards

What is Curve Card?

Here is a quick reminder for new readers about how Curve works. To learn more, read our introductory article to Curve Card here.

Curve Card is an intriguing payment product which has something offer to miles and points collectors.  The key thing to remember is that Curve Card is free – in fact, they pay you £5 for trying it – so you have nothing at risk.

Curve is NOT a bank accountCurve is simply an intermediary card, a Mastercard to which you can link all of your existing Visa and Mastercard payment cards.

Via the Curve app you can select which linked card you want to use at any particular time.  Curve transactions are automatically recharged onto that card.  Even if a shop does not accept credit cards at all, only debit cards, you can still pay with your Curve Mastercard, which is a debit card, and earn miles on the underlying Visa or Mastercard.

You will even earn miles and points on ATM cash withdrawals up to certain limits.

You can find out more about Curve in this article. You can sign-up here via my refer-a-friend page, which gets you £5 for joining.

How do I find Curve cashback rewards?

Open the Curve app and click on ‘Rewards’ at the bottom. If you get a blank screen, try fully closing the Curve app and reopening it.

You will see a screen like this:

Curve Card launches cashback rewards

I don’t know if the offers list is personalised or not. This is what I see:

• 5% at fanatics.co.uk or kitbag.com
  • 5% at Five Guys
  • 5% at Coach
  • 5% at Kate Spade
  • 5% at Selfridges (£30 cap, note)
  • 5% at Hawes & Curtis
  • 5% at Quiz
  • 5% at FatFace
  • 5% at Harvey Nichols (online only)
  • 5% at Kidly
  • 5% at Amazon Fresh
  • 5% at Mountain Warehouse
  • £10 at HelloFresh

Some of these offers are doing the rounds on other cashback schemes, and are often more valuable. My MBNA credit card, for example, is offering 7% at FatFace, 10% at Harvey Nichols online, 10% at Coach, 10% at Kate Spade and 15% at Hawes & Curtis.

Is Curve simply negotiating poorer deals because of its smaller size, or is it pocketing the difference between what MBNA is giving out and its own cashback? That said, I haven’t seen a Selfridges offer anywhere else.

Does cashback replace Curve Rewards?

I don’t know if this replaces the old Curve Rewards programme. The Curve website still talks about Curve Rewards and does not mention the new cashback programme.

Curve Rewards was primarily a time-limited scheme for most people:

• free Curve Card holders got 1% cashback at three retailers, chosen from a list, for three months
  • £50 Curve Black holders got 1% cashback at three retailers, chosen from a list, permanently
  • £150 Curve Metal holders got 1% cashback at six retailers, chosen from a list, permanently

This new scheme offers higher rewards and the list of participating retailers will change on a regular basis.

There is no downside – except that so many credit and debit card issuers are now offering cashback rewards, it is increasingly hard to keep up with them, and their impact will inevitably drop.

Comments (140)

• Dr Tom says:

Nothing showing for me yet.

The Amazon Fresh one would be useful as I live near one of their stores and they don’t allow any of the easier money saving routes (can’t pay with gift cards etc).

• TGLoyalty says:

Amazon fresh Online only.

In my experience the Amazon fresh purchases use your Amazon gift card balance.

• Peter says:

For selfridges offers elsewhere, I’ve double checked and on my halifax ultimate reward account it is offering 10% until 8th June.

• Symon says:

So they’re offering the same product as MBNA, Lloyds, and Santander. Meh.

• Harrier25 says:

Very uninspiring.

• Ian says:

Nothing for me as legacy black.

I can’t even see my regular cashback companies and can’t recall them.

• YC says:

Do legacy black get permanent cashback rewards? Or are those just for three months?

• TJ says:

I’m legacy black and can see & activate the offers…albeit there’s nothing much to get excited about.

• DJ says:

On the legacy black tier as well, but I noticed my purchase on Nero and Argos today didn’t trigger the usual 3% cashback. I think they might have messed up this again, or they just pretend that the old 3% (February 16th 2018 scheme) rewards scheme doesn’t exist anymore.

Overall, annoyed at Curve.

• Ryan says:

Same for me, my Boots lunch didn’t pay out today…

Have messaged them to confirm that I did not request to move off Legacy…

• KBuffett says:

Interesting Rob didn’t get a heads up on this. I often wonder how ‘corporates’ choose to operate. Given that the CEO of Curve and Rob are acquainted, you’d think Curve would want to promote this change.

• Harrier25 says:

Promote what? From the offers I can see there is nothing to promote except the same offers already found at MBNA, Virgin Money, Lloyds Bank etc…

• KBuffett says:

Then why bother implementing?

• Harrier25 says:

God knows.

• Rob says:

If they can pocket half the cashback, it could be pretty lucrative.

If they can close Curve Rewards – which costs them a lot as it isn’t funded by the retailer – then it save them a lot of money on top.

If it encourage you to carry your card around more and use it more (which is a key metric investors look at) then it will help them raise more money.

• Harrier25 says:

You may as well continue to carry one of any other 10 cards with the same offers. Pointless. I thought Curve wanted to strive to be different and stand out from the crowd. If they plan to blend in with the rest then they’ll end up having a limited life span.

• Dubious says:

Could’ve argued that it helps to prevent a differentiator forming between those card providers and this ones.

• TGLoyalty says:

Not everyone has access to them but it may well be that they show retailers this drives business their way and they pick up more exclusive offers ala Amex…

There are some short sighted people on here today

• Harrier25 says:

This is Curve who have been a business that has been acting short sighted for the past few years.

• Rob says:

Odder that they are doing it on a Bank Holiday, haven’t told cardholders and haven’t updated their website …

• YC says:

On the Selfridges offers (curve/LBG/etc), do these get triggered when shopping at the luxury brands?

• YC says:

The stand alone boutiques (LV, Chanel, jewellery). Seems like an underestimated benefit for many if so!

• Krys says:

does anyone know if £10 are triggered if you buy a Hello Fresh gift card ?