Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

NEW: Curve Card launches cashback rewards

If you have a Curve Card sitting in a drawer, you may want to dig it out again.

Curve has launched a new cashback rewards programme. This allows you to earn cashback, credited to the ‘Curve Cash’ part of your Curve account, when you spend at qualifying retailers.

I don’t know:

• if this is currently targeted to specific people or card types
  • if this replaces the previous Curve Rewards programme

You must opt-in to each individual retailer offer. There is no ‘add all’ option and, in a bad bit of design, you need to open each offer individually before you can save it to your account. It also isn’t made clear that you do need to opt-in.

Curve Card launches cashback rewards

What is Curve Card?

Here is a quick reminder for new readers about how Curve works. To learn more, read our introductory article to Curve Card here.

Curve Card is an intriguing payment product which has something offer to miles and points collectors.  The key thing to remember is that Curve Card is free – in fact, they pay you £5 for trying it – so you have nothing at risk.

Curve is NOT a bank accountCurve is simply an intermediary card, a Mastercard to which you can link all of your existing Visa and Mastercard payment cards.

Via the Curve app you can select which linked card you want to use at any particular time.  Curve transactions are automatically recharged onto that card.  Even if a shop does not accept credit cards at all, only debit cards, you can still pay with your Curve Mastercard, which is a debit card, and earn miles on the underlying Visa or Mastercard.

You will even earn miles and points on ATM cash withdrawals up to certain limits.

You can find out more about Curve in this article. You can sign-up here via my refer-a-friend page, which gets you £5 for joining.

How do I find Curve cashback rewards?

Open the Curve app and click on ‘Rewards’ at the bottom. If you get a blank screen, try fully closing the Curve app and reopening it.

You will see a screen like this:

Curve Card launches cashback rewards

I don’t know if the offers list is personalised or not. This is what I see:

• 5% at fanatics.co.uk or kitbag.com
  • 5% at Five Guys
  • 5% at Coach
  • 5% at Kate Spade
  • 5% at Selfridges (£30 cap, note)
  • 5% at Hawes & Curtis
  • 5% at Quiz
  • 5% at FatFace
  • 5% at Harvey Nichols (online only)
  • 5% at Kidly
  • 5% at Amazon Fresh
  • 5% at Mountain Warehouse
  • £10 at HelloFresh

Some of these offers are doing the rounds on other cashback schemes, and are often more valuable. My MBNA credit card, for example, is offering 7% at FatFace, 10% at Harvey Nichols online, 10% at Coach, 10% at Kate Spade and 15% at Hawes & Curtis.

Is Curve simply negotiating poorer deals because of its smaller size, or is it pocketing the difference between what MBNA is giving out and its own cashback? That said, I haven’t seen a Selfridges offer anywhere else.

Does cashback replace Curve Rewards?

I don’t know if this replaces the old Curve Rewards programme. The Curve website still talks about Curve Rewards and does not mention the new cashback programme.

Curve Rewards was primarily a time-limited scheme for most people:

• free Curve Card holders got 1% cashback at three retailers, chosen from a list, for three months
  • £50 Curve Black holders got 1% cashback at three retailers, chosen from a list, permanently
  • £150 Curve Metal holders got 1% cashback at six retailers, chosen from a list, permanently

This new scheme offers higher rewards and the list of participating retailers will change on a regular basis.

There is no downside – except that so many credit and debit card issuers are now offering cashback rewards, it is increasingly hard to keep up with them, and their impact will inevitably drop.

Comments (140)

• Jimmy says:

So I have a metal card – not sure what original card it came from but would have been the free one on launch.
    I used to get rewards on places like Nero etc. Now I have one retailer showing as: Argos. How can I choose my others.
    Goes without saying that I dont really want to draw attention to my transaction history

• Matt says:

Looks like the “choose your own retailers” option has just died. I’ve just made a purchase at one of my chosen retailers (with metal) – no curve cash added.

• Matty says:

Purchases that I made on Friday have posted this morning. Still waiting for the ones made over the weekend and yesterday to post.

• Tarmohamed says:

Curve Killer Feature for me would be to automatically set a default card for each spend category or code.

Travel- Barclays
    Grocery- NatWest
    Entertainment- Virgin

• cinereus says:

Why not use gbit?

• Jonathan says:

Agreed, I use my curve for both business and pleasure so tagging all my business merchants to use a specific (business CoT) card would be useful whilst all other spend could be directed to the default (avoid duo or can) card

• BuildBackBetter says:

What’s the point of allocating the transactions? Curve only passes on MCC, not merchant name, so you won’t get any bonuses from underlying cards.

• HighGrade says:

BuildBackBetter, are you sure they don’t pass on the name? It always appears on my statement as CRV ‘retailer name’. How would underlying card know the retailer if it’s not passed on? I left my IHG card at home last time I stayed in an IHG hotel. I paid using curve with IHG as selected card and I got the bonus points from creation for the stay!

• TGLoyalty says:

The bonus is paid on all hotels they don’t use the name to determine it’s an iHG hotel …

• Colin JE says:

Wow. That’s an amazing fact! So charging ANY hotel to the IHG Creation card gets bonus points?

• Genghis says:

It’s been in the comments a few times. I’ve certainly mentioned it.

• TGLoyalty says:

They are looking at implementing this.

• Vin says:

Odd – After logging in and out a couple of times, on my rewards page it initially stated ‘spend 3 times on Curve to unlock your rewards’ , now that has gone and back to ‘No offers available – your offers are being prepared, check back soon’

• Jonathan says:

I may be blind but I cannot see ‘ Rewards’ at the bottom. All I have is Account/Timeline/Wallet/Send/My Money any pointers using iOS and the latest available app v3.6.15 from the appstore?

• Paul says:

No Rewards tab is even showing in my App….

• TJ says:

Has anyone managed to successfully trigger one of these new cashback offers? I made a purchase yesterday using one of the offers but have not received any CB as yet.

• James says:

When did Curve start limiting the foreign spend on Blue? That makes it a lot less useful than it was?

• Rui N. says:

At least since 3 years ago, which was when I first got it.

• Doug M says:

But do they. 1st rule of Curve is do they enforce any of the limits? It seems to be don’t take the piss, but a lot of limits are not hard ones.

• Gavin says:

I thought this was the case, but was charged when I last made a foreign transaction that pushed me over the published limit

• Andrew Mc says:

They did not, but do. As long as each individual foreign transaction was less than £500 there was no FX fee. That changed many months back now to accurately reflect their stated terms for Blue.

• Slartibartfast says:

Is it possible that those Rewards are only for UK Card Holders? I have a Metal Card (registered in Germany) but there is no Rewards option. Also not after re-install.

• Rob says:

Yes, UK only I think. I doubt Curve has the critical mass in Germany at the moment to make it worthwhile.

• Jimmy says:

Rob – I have curve metal – any idea why my curve cash has been reduced to one (Argos!?)

• Rob says:

Nope …

• KBuffett says:

Rob – Any idea why companies like this can’t be arsed to give a decent service or communicate with their customers properly? I’m sure it couldn’t really cost that much, it may even cost less or make money!