American Express has confirmed that it is bringing back its ‘Shop Small’ promotion in June. Regular readers will know that we had this news as an exclusive story last month.
‘Shop Small’ is an established Amex offer which incentivises you to shop at small independent retailers. In turn, of course, it encourages small independent retailers to accept American Express in order to participate.
It typically runs in November but American Express has been running more restrictive versions in Summer in recent years.
It will return for Summer 2021, but with a tweak. Look at the logo:
The Winter version of ‘Shop Small’ gives you £5 back for every £10 purchase you make at a participating independent retailer.
You are limited to one £5 payment per retailer per American Express card you register and for Christmas 2020 there was a £50 cap per card.
As you can see above, the Summer 2021 version of ‘Shop Small’ will give you £5 back on a £15 transaction.
How will Shop Small Summer 2021 work?
- The promotion is now confirmed to run from 5th to 25th June
- You must register in advance via the ‘Offers’ section of the American Express app or website. Each card, and each supplementary card, must be registered separately. Registration opens on Monday 17th May.
- You will be restricted to £25 cashback per American Express card you register
- The standard rule of one payment per retailer per card will remain
Now is a good time to add a supplementary card
One thing worth remembering about Shop Small is that you can register supplementary cards separately. This allows you to earn cashback at the same store on both your main card and your supplementary cards.
Do note, however, that American Express takes a dim view of people who ‘abuse’ Shop Small. It has closed down accounts of HfP readers in the past. ‘Abuse’ would include splitting a large transaction into chunks of £15, using a different card each time.
If you had been thinking about adding a supplementary card to your American Express account, you may want to make sure it is in place by 5th June.
Special bonuses are currently available for adding supplementary cards
Remember that American Express is currently offering special bonuses if you add a supplementary card to your Marriott Bonvoy, American Express Rewards, Harrods or Nectar American Express card. There are usually no incentives for adding supplementary cards on these products.
Until 31st July, you will receive:
- 3,000 Marriott Bonvoy points when you add your first supplementary card to your Marriott Bonvoy American Express
- 3,000 Nectar points when you add your first supplementary card to your Nectar American Express
- 2,000 Membership Rewards points when you add your first supplementary card to your American Express Rewards Card or Amex Green card
- 1,000 Harrods Rewards points when you add your first supplementary card to your Harrods American Express card
These are valuable incentives, given that the supplementary card is free:
- 3,000 Marriott Bonvoy points are worth £15 using HfP valuations
- 3,000 Nectar points are worth 1,875 Avios, which are worth £18.75 using HfP valuations (or use them for £15 of Sainsbury’s shopping)
- 2,000 Membership Rewards points are worth 2,000 Avios (£20 on our valuations) if you choose to use them for that
- 1,000 Harrods Rewards points are worth £10
This HfP article has more details about the special Amex supplementary card bonuses.
Don’t forget to register for Shop Small Summer 2021 from next Monday.
For clarity, American Express funds 100% of the cashback. Your local shops are not paying to participate.
Want to earn more points from credit cards? – September 2021 update
If you are looking to apply for a new credit or charge card, here are our September 2021 recommendations based on the current sign-up bonus.
The following offers will expire on 2nd November 2021:
- 10,000 Avios on British Airways American Express
- 40,000 Avios on British Airways American Express Premium Plus
- 60,000 points on The Platinum Card from American Express
Here are the top current deals:
British Airways American Express
10,000 Avios for signing up, no annual fee and an Economy 241 voucher for spending ….. Read our full review
British Airways American Express Premium Plus
40,000 Avios and the UK’s most valuable credit card perk – the 2-4-1 companion voucher Read our full review
American Express Preferred Rewards Gold
Your best beginner’s card – 30,000 points, FREE for a year & two airport lounge passes Read our full review
The Platinum Card from American Express
60,000 points and an unbeatable set of travel benefits – for a fee Read our full review
Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Mastercard
30,000 points bonus and the most generous non-Amex for day to day spending Read our full review
Earning miles and points from small business cards
If you are a sole trader or run a small company, you may also want to check out these offers.
American Express Business Gold
20,000 points sign-up bonus and free for a year Read our full review
American Express Business Platinum
40,000 points sign-up bonus and a long list of travel benefits Read our full review
British Airways Accelerating Business American Express
60,000 Avios sign-up bonus – plus annual bonuses of up to 30,000 Avios Read our full review
Capital On Tap Business Rewards Visa
The most generous Avios Visa or Mastercard for a limited company Read our full review
For a non-American Express option, we also recommend the Barclaycard Select Cashback card for sole traders and small businesses. It is FREE and you receive 1% cashback on your spending: