Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

LAST DAY: Get up to 70% extra when you buy Virgin Points

Today (14th) is the last day for Virgin Flying Club’s biggest ever deal for buying Virgin Points – see here.

The maximum bonus is 70%. The landing page says 60% but, when you log in, many people see 70%.

To put this in perspective, before 2020 Virgin Atlantic had never even run a 50% bonus. 15% to 30% was the best you could expect. 50% was big but the current 70% is huge.

As this scale, you should think about the offer even if Virgin Points are not usually your thing.

Get a 70% bonus buying Virgin Points

The link to buy points is here.

The closing date for the bonus is tonight, 14th August.  The bonus is staggered and those who are targetted for 70% will see:

• 20% bonus when you buy 5,000 – 24,000 points
  • 30% bonus when you buy 25,000 – 69,000 points
  • 50% bonus when you buy 70,000 – 99,000 points
  • 70% bonus when you buy 100,000 – 150,000 points

At the top end, 150,000 Virgin Points, which comes to 255,000 points with the bonus, will cost you £2,250.  This works out at 0.88p each.

0.88p is exceptionally cheap for a direct miles purchase. Most Virgin Atlantic commercial partners will be paying the airline more than 0.88p for their miles.

What sort of deals can you get with 0.88p miles?

The issue with Virgin Points is that there are virtually no short haul opportunities to spend them. The best deals are long haul Business Class flights across the Virgin Atlantic network, and of course the route network is limited.

You can see the Virgin Atlantic reward chart on this page of their website.

Unsurprisingly, the numbers are not dissimilar to the Avios chart and you will find that taxes and charges are also very similar.

There is no point paying 0.88p per point unless you want premium cabin flights.

The Virgin Red app (download here) has a huge number of interesting redemptions but they are almost all based on giving you 0.5p per point. Similarly, using your Virgin Points to part-pay for a cash Virgin Atlantic flight or a Virgin Holiday will get you around 0.55p as we show here. This isn’t any good if you paid 0.88p for them.

Get up to 70% extra when you buy Virgin Points

There are great deals with partners

Here is the upside:

• The fact that you can now book Air France and KLM flights with Virgin Points is HUGE. Suddenly, parts of the world which were not available to you because of the limited Virgin Atlantic network are bookable. Our in-depth look at redeeming Virgin Points on Air France and KLM is here. It is a shame that this launched one month before covid wrecked the airline industry – I still don’t know anyone who has flown a long-haul Air France or KLM flight using Virgin Points.

Don’t forget the 2-4-1 voucher with the Virgin Atlantic credit cards

If you do choose to buy points, remember that you receive 15,000 Virgin Points with the £160 Virgin Atlantic Reward+ credit card.  You may prefer to do this than buying another 15,000 points.

Our full review of the Virgin Atlantic Reward+ credit card is here. This article also gives you an overview of how the 2-4-1 voucher issued by the Virgin credit cards works, and I will cover it separately in an article over the weekend. Buying points for 0.88p and redeeming them with a Virgin Atlantic 2-4-1 voucher would offer excellent value.

You can also convert American Express Membership Rewards points into Virgin Points from:

The link to buy Virgin Points is here.

Comments (17)

• Olu says:

Hi Rob,

How much do you think BA and Virgin are able to raise during these promos? I imagine BA does a little better but always been curious

• Rob says:

We know the 75% Avios one last year made so much money that IAG mentioned it as a cash raising initiative in the 2020 accounts.

I am guessing that one did at least £10m.

• JohnT says:

Can I confirm if you need to keep the CC once voucher posted? Due the annual fee soon.

• Roger W says:

Likewise received an email telling me would get the companion voucher and soon be charged for CC. Virgin Atlantic WhatsApp tell me the voucher not registered them. Will I loose it if cancel thee CC. I will not manage £10000 next year without using Curve for Premium Bonds which seems to have stopped.

• Mark says:

My experience is that you don’t lose the voucher. I had 3 vouchers from having applied for and eventually cancelling the paid-for card twice, which I never thought I’d use until the rule changes last year. They were attached to my Flying Club account even though I no longer had the credit cards. Once the rules changes kicked in I used them for PE to UC upgrades.

• Pid says:

I still have mine and cancelled the card a year ago. Just not managed to use them yet.

• Colin MacKinnon says:

It’s tempting – looking at Hawaiian Airlines to Tahiti for next summer.

But are these Virgin Airlines points or Virgin Red points? Do other airlines have their deal with Virgin Airlines or is it now with Virgin Red?

Covid has made me super-cautious with where I “invest” my cash!

• Catalan says:

Virgin Flying Club points are now called, and marketed as, Virgin Red points.

• Catalan says:

*Virgin Points

• Rob says:

They are the same thing. It’s not like Avios was with BA and Avios.com.

• Doug M says:

If you’re really super-cautious, then does an airline, and particularly Virgin, qualify as a place to deposit cash?

• Mark says:

Whilst 0.88p is tempting, it’s a no from me at the moment. In the current situation, sitting on a load of Virgin points cannot be risk free. Part of that consideration is that they are relatively hard to redeem. Great if you want to go to the major US cities and are allowed in or India now that it’s no longer on the red list, but Caribbean UC redemptions were non-existent for a long period and then very restricted. Still I hope they do get in some much needed cash and do come out if this in a strong position to take advantage of rising travel demand when the US does eventually reopen.

• Doug M says:

I don’t see .88p as tempting at all. You have the issue of availability, which isn’t great on Virgin. Say Miami, 110K points and about £600. At buying for .88p that’s £1568. I think you do that in a sale, and earn back nearly 18K points. There’s the option of departing Dublin which typically will reduce that price further. So it becomes a decision about flex of a redemption/limited availability versus cost/limited flex of a cash fare. Obviously the numbers for other places will be different, but unless you have a specific example in mind (and it remains available while you buy the points) buying is a very high risk game, especially, as you point out, Virgin availability.

• Mark says:

To be fair there is real value to be had if you can get it, e.g. a standard redemption of £520 taxes and fees, 35K points and a CC upgrade voucher could get you UC return to the Caribbean. Availability though is the problem, and additional points in the system from anyone who does jump in won’t help. VS really needs to guarantee minimum availability as BA does for Avios.

• Doug M says:

Agreed that’s a nice deal. The voucher requires £10K I think, so that should be 15K Virgin from that spend. But buying 20K Virgin would be much more expensive, if you’re buying enough to get the .88p you’re back to buying a lot of them speculatively. No doubt this may work for some, but I bet the circumstance is quite niche. Sure there are things that’ll work, but the big risk remains availability.

• Doug M says:

I notice with Virgin that whilst the balance between Red app and VS login is consistent, the activity differs.

• Rose says:

I’m about to book a flight on miles. Can the virgin upgrade voucher be redeemed only for the cardholder or for someone else travelling without the cardholder too?