Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: Amex Gold changes rules on £5 Deliveroo credits, join Marriott at a London restaurant

News in brief:

American Express changes the rules over your £5 Deliveroo credits

In May, American Express added a new benefit for Preferred Rewards Gold cardholders, worth a potential £120 per year.

Preferred Rewards Gold cardholders will receive 2 x £5 Deliveroo statement credits per calendar month.

You need to register for this benefit, but only once. After your initial registration, you will receive the 2 x £5 monthly Deliveroo credits without any further registration required. The deal is guaranteed to run until at least mid 2023.

You can opt in to this new benefit via the ‘Offers’ tab of your online Amex statement page or in the American Express app.

There is minimal small print – the credit won’t roll over from month to month if unused, and the offer only applies to primary cards, not supplementaries.

What has changed?

Without any notice, American Express has changed the rules of the promotion. There is now a £5 minimum spend required to trigger the cashback.

You may think this makes no difference, given Deliveroo’s pricing, but it does. Many HfP readers were using the credit to pay their £3.49 subscription to Deliveroo Plus. This was triggering the £5 cashback, so you made a small monthly profit as well as getting free delivery on orders of £25+.

If you signed up for Deliveroo Plus purely to use up one of your £5 credits, you should cancel.

The good news is that Deliveroo is offering 12 months of Deliveroo Plus absolutely free to Amazon Prime members. You can sign up via the Deliveroo app – I was offered the deal as soon as I cancelled my paid membership – or by clicking here.

Darjeeling Express biryani

Join Marriott Bonvoy for a meal at Darjeeling Express

Marriott Bonvoy Moments is hosting an event at Darjeeling Express, the critically acclaimed Indian restaurant on Garrick Street in London’s West End.

The event, held between 1pm and 4pm on Sunday 5th December, will be in three parts:

• A champagne reception
  • Chef Asma Khan will do a cooking demonstration for all guests
  • A ‘Biryani Supper Club’ meal will follow, served ‘dawaat’ style with wine pairings

The menu you will receive is here.

The current Michelin Guide review is:

“Darjeeling Express is the definition of honest, traditional Indian food. Conjuring the ambience of a home-cooked dinner enjoyed with your nearest and dearest, the all-women kitchen team at Darjeeling Express lovingly create a multitude of flavours and textures served on sharing platters, with recipes drawing influence from the length and breadth of India.”

Marriott Bonvoy is auctioning eight pairs of tickets, with starting bids of 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points for two people.

These ‘Supper Club’ events typically cost £95 per person with drinks and service on top. You are looking at around £300 of value, plus whatever extra benefit you put on the champagne reception and cooking demonstration.

Because all attendees will be Bonvoy members, it will also be a different atmosphere compared to booking yourself in at random for one of these ‘shared table’ events.

You can bid for tickets here. Attendees must be at least 21 years old.

Comments (41)

• Mouse says:

Thanks for the Deliveroo heads-up Rob, would have taken me months to notice the credits for the subscription had stopped!

• Robert says:

Cancelled. Thanks for the warning!

• Andrew says:

Why would the atmosphere be different? Anyone can become a Bonvoy member – it’s hardly an elite club.

• Rob says:

Because you’re not sitting with 14 random people with random interests who are spending real money. You’re sitting with 14 people who are there for a freebie group event and who have a shared interest.

• Ken says:

It’s not free though is it.
        Those points are a hotel stay or miles.

And even at the minimum of 50k points doesn’t strike me as great value.

Good at least that moments this side of the Atlantic starting to come back to life.

• TGLoyalty says:

exactly 50 points are worth minimum £250 and I’d rather spend them on a night @ Langley/St Pancreas/Edition etc

Will pay Darjeeling Express 1 day as I have heard its worth it

• Dr Tom says:

I know it’s getting dark earlier, but Marriott are pushing things to call 1pm to 4pm an evening event.

• Idrive says:

You can get Deliveroo+ for free with with Amazon Prime

• Dominic says:

Not sure any Indian restaurant can justify those prices normally tbh.

Maybe not for atmosphere’ but the best Indian restaurants in London are not the pricey ones.

• Ken says:

You just associate Indian restaurants with cheap.

But then Oysters were once the food of the poor & clydeside shipbuilding apprentices once went on strike in protest at being continually being served salmon.

• Nick says:

Atul Kochaar justifies every penny of his ridiculously expensive restaurants.

• mutley says:

Met Atol Kuchar at the Tom Kerridge food festival in St Albans, sat down and spoke for 20 minutes, ate all three of the generous sample dishes at £6 a pop and got a selfie. That’s the way to enjoy it!

• BuildBackBetter says:

I find most Indian restaurants in uk serve a western or tourist version of Indian food.
      I once asked for more spice and they added a spoonful of chilli powder in the curry!

• Qrfan says:

Because asking for “more spice” is an incredibly western thing to do when eating an Indian meal?? What you got was an eye roll in culinary form.

• Anuj says:

Unfortunately even the high end indian restaurants like the one in this article are likely to be inauthentic. I’ve only once had food in an indian restaurant in the UK that was anywhere close to authentic and that was in a small restaurant on brick lane.

• TGLoyalty says:

You go out for Authentic Indian food?

I make it at home therefore I’m not really looking for “authentic”

• Anuj says:

Not really because I’m Indian, but sometimes when I go for a meal with friends they pick Indian so I’m not going to be awkward and say no.

• TGLoyalty says:

I guess my point is Indian restaurants are very rarely authentic, they do exist though, but that’s OK because I’m not looking for something I can make extremely well at home.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Much like visiting an Italian restaurant in the USA, it’s effectively its own separate culinary form now; and I suppose we should prepare your expectations for exactly that.

• Frances Morris says:

great – I didn’t sign up for deliveroo offer as they didn’t deliver in my area. now I have moved and it no longer appears on my offers! got the prime link though. Thanks for that

• Dave says:

The Amex cashback used to also work on £1 (+1p delivery) ‘orders’ to Full life fundraising charity, effectively giving you £7.98 per month.