Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Apologies for application issues with Barclaycard Avios Mastercard

Yesterday we ran three articles on the brand new, and very exciting, Barclaycard Avios Mastercard credit cards.

As soon as we’d published them, the Barclaycard application website collapsed. At the time of writing (10pm) it is still not fully functioning. It may or may not be working when you read this.

I’m sorry for the inconvenience. We are in close contact with Barclaycard and as soon as everything is good to go we will let you know.

HFP-Barclaycard-Avios-Plus-Card

Are you an existing Barclaycard holder?

In our article yesterday we said that existing Barclaycard holders would need to cancel their card and wait six months if they wanted the sign-up bonus on the new card.

It turns out that Barclaycard has a Plan B for existing cardholders which will go live in a few days. We should be able to share full details soon, but basically there will be a route which will allow you to get the Avios cards and receive a bonus. It will be a smaller bonus than the one given to new customers, but it will be better than nothing. We will run an article on this as soon as the process is live.

For everyone else …. we’ll let you know as soon as applications are open.

If you want to try again now, in case it got fixed overnight, you can apply for the free Barclaycard Avios credit card (5,000 Avios bonus) here. You can apply for the Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card (25,000 Avios bonus) here.

If you missed our content yesterday, the first of our three articles on the Barclaycard Avios Mastercards is here.

Comments (294)

• A says:

Being the first MasterCard Barclaycards, do they support Apple Pay?

• namster says:

any update on how existing barclaycard owners will be able to join the barclaycard plus ?

• hugo r says:

With regards to the paid avios barclaycard , if you hit a 10k spend say in 3 months do you have to wait a further 9 months for the upgrade voucher or do you get it straight away

• nt says:

Hiya – quick question if that’s ok just to clarify voucher usage.

If I open a Mastercard for my wife and get a voucher to her avios account which is part of our household, can I use her voucher with the household points to upgrade a return flight for me?

Thanks!

• Rob says:

Yes, as long as you log in as her to make the booking for yourself.

• Stephen says:

@Rob are you allowed to say anything on latest expectations from Barclays on the existing cardholder offer being fully deployed? Are they still working through the application deluge from earlier in week?

• nwmgc says:

They really are in aright old pickle. I’ve just been told that, for existing customers, only those who have received an offer can swap. I’m not eligible as a result, apparently.

• Neil says:

I’m in that unusual 2016 year where they allowed two cards – so I have the HH plus some other card that I should have binned ages ago but didn’t. The upshot is that they just aren’t going to allow me to swap to the Avios card – which is a real shame as I do rather like it.

• J says:

I’m self employed. Will I be asked for proof of income? Or does that depend on something else?

• Chas says:

Sample of 1, but I’m self employed and I was. It took me many, many attempts to upload the proof of income they needed (seemed to be impacted by similar IT issues too), but finally succeeded yesterday morning. Then last night I had a reminder that I still needed to submit my proof, and that if I didn’t within 43 days my account would be closed….

• Kate says:

Have I missed the ” How does the Barclaycard Avios cabin upgrade voucher work?’ Email?

• Chas says:

No – all the follow up e-mails were delayed after the launch fiasco