Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: Apple Pay available on Barclaycard Avios cards, save 30% buying World of Hyatt points

News in brief:

Apple Pay is now functioning on the Barclaycard Avios cards

As our article on Tuesday explained, an astonishing bonus of 50,000 Avios is currently available if you apply for the Barclaycard Avios Plus credit card. You can apply here.

The benefits are very impressive. The Barclaycard Avios Mastercards are, easily, the most rewarding non-Amex travel credit cards on the market. They are arguably the most valuable Visa or Mastercard credit cards in the UK of any sort.

There were, however, delays in setting up the cards to work with Apple Pay. This was especially frustrating because the pre-printed brochure that arrived with the cards said that it was functioning.

The good news is that Apple Pay functionality is now here. It has actually been in beta for the last few weeks, but Barclaycard is now happy to publicly announce it. Below is a screenshot to prove it.

If you had been putting off getting one of the cards due to the lack of Apple Pay support, you can now jump in.

The 50,000 Avios sign-up bonus on Avios Plus runs to 18th July. You can also pick up a 10,000 Avios bonus on the free Avios Mastercard – but as long as you can spend £3,000 in three months it makes more sense to get Avios Plus and reconsider later.

Apple Pay Barclaycard Avios

Get a 30% discount when you buy World of Hyatt points

Hyatt is offering (yet another) 30% bonus when you buy 5,000+ World of Hyatt points via this link. The offer runs to 1st August.

This is obviously worth a look if you need to top up your account.  It may also be worthwhile if you are considering a stay in a top tier Park Hyatt such as Paris, where buying the points may be cheaper than paying cash – here’s my recent Park Hyatt New York review where I did just that.

This clearly won’t work at all Hyatt properties.  However, if you are visiting an expensive city at peak season it is definitely worth doing the maths.

We value Hyatt points at 1.1p. At the top end you are paying $1,320 for 71,500 points, which is 1.5p each. You won’t get a steal on this basis but you should still come out on top at a good hotel on an expensive night.

(This article, for example, shows how you can massively cut the cost of 7Pines in Ibiza if you buy points.)

The chain has some excellent hotels, and I genuinely find Park Hyatt to be the best luxury chain which is run by one of the multi-brand groups.  It doesn’t beat Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental etc but I’d take one over a Ritz-Carlton, Waldorf Astoria or St Regis any day.

Hyatt has started letting you book suites online for points and there are some bargains to be had. Here is how I used that feature in Paris last year. Looking at suite upgrades, you are paying 6,000 points per night – or 9,000 for a premium suite – which would be (x 1.5p) £90 per night. This is good value, especially if the suite automatically gets you lounge access too.

The Hyatt ‘buy points’ site is here.

Comments (60)

• Bob Hedges says:

Slightly OT albeit Hyatt related Rob/Rhys, any new on when the ‘new’ Hyatt at Blackfriars will be opening?

• Maples says:

Will this show live transactions on Apple Pay even when Apple Pay wasn’t used, like how it does for Amex?

I don’t get any notifications for the Barclaycard and it’d be nice to be able to get some notification through Apple Pay. Amex transactions show a history even when I didn’t use Apple Pay, like when I use it online.

• M says:

London hotel using IHG free night voucher – IC PL or L’oscar? IC wasn’t available when I booked but availability has now opened up. I’m diamond so should get free breakfast at IC too. Any reports on free brek at IC PL? I’m going for a weekend away with a West end show and a concert at RAH booked. Thanks for advice.

• Leo says:

OT: Does anyone know if it’s possible to use Amex Points to book through FHR for someone else to stay – that individual holds a supp card if that makes any difference? TIA

• lumma says:

One thing I will never get my head round is the obsession with mobile phone payments. Other than allowing contactless over £100, which is less of a thing now contactless is £100, I really don’t see the point.

It’s hard to indicate in a restaurant that you’re ready to pay, if your battery dies you miss out on the daily and weekly caps on TFL, it’s a solution to a problem that didn’t exist

• JK says:

Because a lot of people (especially younger ones) don’t want to carry a wallet full of cards. Mobile pay is also more secure than card contactless because you need to authenticate every transaction. It is much more convenient. Also if you have an iPhone, express travel on TfL still works even with a flat battery.

• PeteM says:

I could say the exact same about the obsession with using physical cards 🙂 I can’t remember the last time I did not pay for something with my phone, certainly in the UK. I rarely carry my wallet around – my pockets are way lighter too!

• Navara says:

Must be a very light phone.

• RussellH says:

My wallet – with 21 cards in – plus 3 bank notes and some of those funny round things called coins weighs far less than my partner’s pocket Samsung thing.

I accept that I do not need all the cards at any one time, but I know I would forget them when I actually needed them otherwise.

• Panda Mick says:

Things that can (and do) happen with credit cards…..

Skimming….

Things that don’t happen with mobile phones

Skimming….

• RussellH says:

Credit cards are much more likely to work after being dropped in a swimming pool.
        Phones do not seem to be as resilient.

• Brian says:

Don’t drop your phone in a swimming pool then 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Chas says:

The latest phones are water resistant….?! But seriously – I can’t remember the last time that my phone ran out of battery, and it’s so much more secure to use Apple Pay than it is a card.

• Track says:

You will be surprised how hard it is for young people to keep track of things.

Cards gets constantly misplaced.

The memory buffer is not that trained.