Accor Live Limitless, the loyalty scheme for Ibis, Novotel, Mercure, Sofitel, Raffles, Fairmont, Pullman etc, has launched a promotion with Club Eurostar.
The Accor and Club Eurostar partnership works in both directions:
- you can earn Club Eurostar points instead of Accor Live Limitless points for your Accor stays, or convert your existing Accor balance
- you can convert Club Eurostar points into Accor Live Limitless points
Neither of these options offer great value as this HfP article explains. You are better off using your Accor points for free hotel nights and your Eurostar points for free train travel.
During this new special offer period, however, you can earn triple Club Eurostar points on every Accor stay. This IS a decent deal, especially compared to taking Avios, although it isn’t much use if you’re not an existing Club Eurostar points collector.
That said, you can top up your Club Eurostar account via American Express Membership Rewards at 15:1, so even if you have no Club Eurostar points you might to be able to get close to a free train ticket via this offer and top up with Amex points later.
If you want to look at the numbers:
- 2,000 Accor points = €40 of free Accor hotel room, so 1.7p per Accor point
- 2,000 Accor points = 2,000 Avios if you convert to Iberia Plus (but only 1,000 Avios in BA Executive Club) which I’d value at 1p per Accor point
- 2,000 Accor points = 175 Club Eurostar points which I’d value at £21 (ie 12p per Club Eurostar point as per our valuation here) so 1.05p per Accor point, tripled under this offer to 3.15p
The bottom line is that this is a pretty decent deal if you collect Club Eurostar points, and better value than using the Accor points for hotel stays or Avios.
You must book your Accor hotel between 15th July and 31st August and stay by 15th September. You MUST have your Accor accounts set to automatically convert your points to Club Eurostar.
Warning – if you activate automatic conversion, all of your existing Accor points will be transferred over to Club Eurostar without a bonus. Do not register for this offer unless you are happy with that.
You can find out more about the offer on the Accor site here.
Note that only Accor hotels in selected European countries, including the UK, are participating – check the small print. You can only earn the bonus once during the promotional period.
How to get Club Eurostar points and lounge access from UK credit cards (August 2022)
Club Eurostar does not have a UK credit card. However, you can earn Club Eurostar points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.
Cards earning Membership Rewards points include:
- American Express Preferred Rewards Gold (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 20,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 1,333 Club Eurostar points. This card is FREE for your first year and also comes with two free airport lounge passes.
- The Platinum Card from American Express (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 30,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 2,000 Club Eurostar points. Card benefits include Eurostar lounge access.
- American Express Rewards credit card (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 5,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 333 Club Eurostar points. This card is FREE for life.
EDIT: Until 25th October 2022, there is an exceptionally generous sign-up bonus on The Platinum Card. You will receive 60,000 Membership Rewards points – double the usual amount – and £200 to spend at Amex Travel. You need to spend £6,000 within six months to earn the bonus.
Membership Rewards points convert at 15:1 into Club Eurostar points which is an attractive rate. The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, so you will get the equivalent of 1 Club Eurostar point for every £15 you spend.
American Express Platinum comes with a great Eurostar benefit – Eurostar lounge access!
You can enter any Eurostar lounge, irrespective of your ticket type, simply by showing The Platinum Card at the desk. No guests are allowed but you can get entry for your partner by issuing them with a free supplementary Amex Platinum card on your account.