Get 10% off Eurostar bookings this week – and 10% back via Uber after that
Links on Head for Points may pay us an affiliate commission. A list of partners is here.
Eurostar has launched a discount promotion for Earth Day.
You can save 10% on bookings in Standard and Standard Premier using code EARTH2023.
(EDIT: the code has stopped working – it is not clear why.)
The small print is minimal:
- you must book by 26th April
- you must travel between 6th June and 22nd August
- you must book a return trip starting in London
- there are some blackout dates but these are not published
This is a genuine saving. I had been planning to make a Eurostar booking all week – in fact, I tried and failed yesterday due to a connection issue – and the price was the same when I finally booked today with the code.
You will earn Club Eurostar points and status points as usual. Here is our full review of Club Eurostar and here is our last article on what Club Eurostar points are worth.
Remember that Club Eurostar is an American Express Membership Rewards transfer partner (good value at present) and an Accor Live Limitless transfer partner (poor value).
You can still save 10% after 26th April via Uber
The Earth Day 10% discount is only valid for bookings made by 26th April, and for travel on specific dates.
There is another option for saving 10% on Eurostar tickets with no date restrictions – Uber.
Uber has been letting you book train and coach tickets via its app for a while now. To launch the service, there is an interesting carrot – you will receive 10% of your booking back in the form of Uber Credit.
Earning Uber Credit on National Rail tickets isn’t hugely interesting for Amex cardholders as there is often a 10%-12% cashback deal for LNER available via Amex Offers. This gives you a return immediately, in cash, rather than forcing you to wait until after the date of travel to receive Uber Credit.
It is more interesting for Eurostar, however.
You can’t book Eurostar tickets via the LNER website so there is no opportunity to benefit from any American Express statement credits.
You can book it via Uber and earn a 10% credit.
How does the Uber train and coach offer work?
It’s simple enough – at least, as simple as booking an international train ticket via a mobile phone can be.
You’re looking for this box on the Uber home screen:
…. which takes you to a booking page which will confirm the 10% credits deal:
Based on my testing, pricing is identical to the Eurostar website.
There isn’t much in the way of small print:
- you must book your Eurostar, National Rail or coach ticket by 30th June
- you receive 10% of your order value back in Uber Credits
- Uber Credits will be paid within 10 days of the completion of the last leg of your journey
- Uber Credits will expire after 180 days
- Uber Credits can only be used in the UK (you can’t use them for a ride or food order whilst abroad)
Whilst it isn’t mentioned in the rules, Uber Credits can be used for either a ride or an Uber Eats food order. This means that even if you never use Uber for transport you can still benefit from a free or discounted takeaway.
How to get Club Eurostar points and lounge access from UK credit cards (June 2023)
Club Eurostar does not have a UK credit card. However, you can earn Club Eurostar points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.
Cards earning Membership Rewards points include:
- American Express Preferred Rewards Gold (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 20,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 1,333 Club Eurostar points. This card is FREE for your first year and also comes with four free airport lounge passes.
- The Platinum Card from American Express (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 30,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 2,000 Club Eurostar points. Card benefits include Eurostar lounge access.
- American Express Rewards credit card (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 666 Club Eurostar points. This card is FREE for life.
SPECIAL OFFER: Until 13th June, the sign-up bonus on The Platinum Card is doubled to 60,000 Membership Rewards points (worth 4,000 Club Eurostar points) – and you get £200 to spend at Amex Travel too! Apply here.
Membership Rewards points convert at 15:1 into Club Eurostar points which is an attractive rate. The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, so you will get the equivalent of 1 Club Eurostar point for every £15 you spend.
American Express Platinum comes with a great Eurostar benefit – Eurostar lounge access!
You can enter any Eurostar lounge, irrespective of your ticket type, simply by showing The Platinum Card at the desk. No guests are allowed but you can get entry for your partner by issuing them with a free supplementary Amex Platinum card on your account.