I receive occasional emails from readers asking ‘How can I stop my Radisson Rewards points from expiring?’ or ‘When do my Radisson Rewards points expire?’. This series, which we are updating this week, looks at the major hotel loyalty programmes and shows you how to keep your valuable points intact.
If you need to refer to this article in the future, there is a link to it on our ‘Hotel Offers’ page in the Radisson Rewards section. This also includes details of current Radisson Rewards promotions.
Here is the full list of articles in this series:
- When do your Accor Live Limitless points expire?
- When do your Hilton Honors points expire?
- When do your IHG One Rewards points expire?
- When do your Marriott Bonvoy points expire?
- When do your World of Hyatt points expire?
About Radisson Rewards
Inside North America, the Radisson brands are now owned by Choice Hotels.
When do Radisson Rewards points expire?
According to the Radisson Rewards terms and conditions here under 5e:
If there is no points activity in your Radisson Rewards or Radisson Rewards for Bookers and Planners account for any 24-month period, we may, at any time and in our sole discretion and without notice or liability to you, void and cancel any or all of your points.
What do they mean by ‘activity’?
The key point is that you do not need to stay at a hotel to keep your points alive. You simply need to have some activity go through your account.
There are various ways of achieving this:
Earning Radisson Rewards points:
- Transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your account – the minimum transfer is just 3 points
- Go shopping at Bicester Village – you will earn 10 points per £1 spent
It does not appear that you can earn points via food and drink spend in a Radisson Rewards hotel if you are not a registered guest.
Spending Radisson Rewards points:
Any movement on your account should cause your expiry date to reset.
- Use points to part-pay your next Radisson Rewards booking – you can use as few as 10 points. If you book a flexible room and then cancel it, this should count as activity, in my opinion, but of course you try this at your own risk
- Transfer points into an airline loyalty scheme. The minimum transfer is 2,000 points and Avios is one of three options, alongside Flying Blue and SAS EuroBonus.
- Radisson Rewards has a number of charity partners on their website who accept donations of points. The minimum donation is 3,000 points.
There is no excuse at all for letting Radisson Rewards points expire. The easiest option is to transfer the minimum three American Express Membership Rewards points over to your Radisson Rewards account.
How to be notified of upcoming miles and points expiry dates
If you want to track the expiry dates of all of your miles and points, I recommend signing up to AwardWallet for free. It keeps all of your points balances, including non-travel loyalty schemes, in one place and updates them automatically.
If you pay for the premium version ($30 per year) it also tracks your all expiry dates and emails you when points are about to expire. On the free plan, you can track the expiry date for three loyalty schemes of your choice.
How to earn Radisson Rewards points and status from UK credit cards (December 2023)
Radisson Rewards does not have a dedicated UK credit card. However, you can earn Radisson Rewards points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.
These cards earn Membership Rewards points:
- American Express Preferred Rewards Gold (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 20,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 60,000 Radisson Rewards points. This card is FREE for your first year and also comes with four free airport lounge passes.
- The Platinum Card from American Express (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 30,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 90,000 Radisson Rewards points
- American Express Rewards credit card (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 30,000 Radisson Rewards points. This card is FREE for life.
SPECIAL OFFER: Until 9th January 2024, you will receive 30,000 Membership Rewards points (convertible to 30,000 Avios) with American Express Preferred Rewards Gold. You receive 25,000 points if you spend £3,000 in three months and a further 5,000 points if you hold the card for 15 months. You can apply here.
SPECIAL OFFER: Until 9th January 2024, you will receive a huge 100,000 Membership Rewards points (convertible to 100,000 Avios) with The Platinum Card. You receive 75,000 points if you spend £10,000 in six months and a further 25,000 points if you hold the card for 15 months. You can apply here.
Membership Rewards points convert at 1:3 into Radisson Rewards points which is a very attractive rate. The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 3 Radisson Rewards points.
Even better, holders of The Platinum Card receive free Radisson Rewards Premium status for as long as they hold the card. It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold and MeliaRewards Gold status. We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.
(Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)