Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice The mobile data / international roaming thread Reply To: The mobile data / international roaming thread

QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

Heads up for anyone using dual SIMs when roaming on the latest version of Android. Maybe even worth checking on other versions and Apple devices. Roaming last week using my second SIM (Spanish Vodafone SIM, which allows data roaming in Turkey at no extra cost) with second SIM selected in settings for data.

I was surprised to receive a text warning after a few days from (Three first and home SIM) that I had hit my credit limit. I spent a long time before figuring out why.

The reason is that deep in Android settings is an option to use other SIM if selected SIM is not available. I guess at certain times, the Three Turkish default network was available when Vodafone Turkey was not. Bracing myself for a big bill!

Check and check again.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.