Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes 10,000 United miles – what to do with them?

• Carlos 758 posts

As one of the participants of the not so organised united airlines marketing session

No intention of visiting the USA and their prices are not exactly cheap

Is there any best way to use up 10k united miles?
    TIA

YC 229 posts

Definitely losing some value this way but u can convert 1-1 into marriott points. Alternatively, hold the miles and wait to use it for short haul hop on star alliance in the future. United miles don’t expire

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

8k should get you a short haul UK to Europe.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,096 posts

5.5K on Aer Lingus

Carlos 758 posts

Definitely losing some value this way but u can convert 1-1 into Marriott points. Alternatively, hold the miles and wait to use it for short haul hop on star alliance in the future. United miles don’t expire

never used star alliance or redeemed miles, is it straightforward? i.e. linking united with Marriott / Star Alliance?

Gavin454 160 posts

If you go to Japan at some point when it reopens, you can book most domestic routes for 5,500 (no additional taxes or fees to pay)

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

You need to be Marriott Platinum or higher to transfer across, I think.

Star Alliance flights can be booked on the United website, it is quite good in that regard.

United is actually the only Star carrier with sensibly priced short haul redemptions.

davefl 1,222 posts

Just as an example, a one way flight on Swiss booked on United.com – £242 cash or 8.8k UTD +£30 which will get you 2.3p/mile.

I keep a large stash of Utd miles primarily earned via Kaligo for when there’s no LCC available for european hops.

jollygoodfella 4 posts

Just booked London to Chicago flights. The flight to Chicago is a direct flight in booking class K. The flight back has a stopover via Boston but both of those flights are in booking class T.

My original plan was to assign them to Aer Lingus and then move to Avios but it looks like booking class T has 0% rate for Aer Lingus so doesnt feel right.

I think I am left with these options:
    a) assign c3500 to United – I have the 10k from the event
    b) assign c4000 to Aegean – I have 6k from a previous sign-up bonus
    c) assign c5000 to Turkish – dont have an account with them but can see using Turkish airlines in future

I guess I am still new to the game so happy to do something long-term in mind but really not sure if any of these options are good or bad in terms of how they can be used.

Carlos 758 posts

With the Emirates partnership how does the 10k free points work. I still have them unused. Can I combine it with a stash of Skywards to book a UK to USA flight?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.