Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios 50,000 sign up bonus

• harrisjamieh 25 posts

This was up on TPG earlier today, but has since disappeared.

But looks like it’s live:

“Apply by 18 July 2022 to receive a double welcome bonus of 50,000 Avios (usually 25,000 Avios) when you spend £3,000 in your first three months. New customers only. T&Cs apply.”

And a 10k bonus for the free card.

After the positive change for BAPP companion voucher a week or so ago, nice to see a bit of healthy back and forth competition.

Comrade Chag 79 posts

Agree! Very much needed competition.

elguiri 216 posts

@Rob Any plans for an additional 5k HfP bonus on the 50k sign up?

can 506 posts

any suggestion whether the previously declined should reapply either for the free or the plus card?

Maples 182 posts

I just signed up and got the card last week 🤣

alig4th 322 posts

Ah, drat. Bit of a kick-in-the-teeth for all those that got offered the original introductory bonus. You’d have thought the “you signed up first” offer would have been the best they’d do, rather than a few months after launch… not a great way to get customer loyalty (although a very smart business model; get the initial rush and offer them an amount, then once they’re all on the hook and can’t take advantage of any sign-up-offer, offer a higher SUB for any stragglers. You’ll have to pay out less overall, probably).

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

We have been asked not to mention this until Barclays has it showing across all channels, which will be Tuesday.

This is a crazy deal, frankly – sign up all friends and relatives.

No higher bonus if you use our link, but it keeps us ticking over – https://www.headforpoints.com/hfp/barclaycard-avios-cards-joint-home/ – and you can consider your HfP annual sub paid! Thanks.

Colin MacKinnon 286 posts

Was just about to say I will wait until Rob publishes a link!

Just got my BC voucher and was about to cancel and get Player 2 to sign up – so perfect timing.

JDB 4,339 posts

Ah, drat. Bit of a kick-in-the-teeth for all those that got offered the original introductory bonus. You’d have thought the “you signed up first” offer would have been the best they’d do, rather than a few months after launch… not a great way to get customer loyalty (although a very smart business model; get the initial rush and offer them an amount, then once they’re all on the hook and can’t take advantage of any sign-up-offer, offer a higher SUB for any stragglers. You’ll have to pay out less overall, probably).

This comment sort of defies belief. To suggest this decision by BC is “not a great way to get customer loyalty” when you and many others have reported that you have grabbed the 25k Avios and immediately downgraded tells us where the ‘loyalty’ lies. Rather, your comment implies annoyance that they have been quite smart and lured the SUB tarts early. Live by the sword, die by the sword (Matthew 26)

JDB 4,339 posts

Just got my BC voucher and was about to cancel and get Player 2 to sign up – so perfect timing.

Yes, my wife and son anticipated this so they waited and we just got one card initially, now we can average up the SUB.

alig4th 322 posts

This comment sort of defies belief. To suggest this decision by BC is “not a great way to get customer loyalty” when you and many others have reported that you have grabbed the 25k Avios and immediately downgraded tells us where the ‘loyalty’ lies. Rather, your comment implies annoyance that they have been quite smart and lured the SUB tarts early. Live by the sword, die by the sword (Matthew 26)

You’re 100% right. I am annoyed that I didn’t get the better bonus. Would a 50k SUB have made me stick around for longer (making the £20/month more bearable for the extra 0.5 Avios/£), maybe it would.

And I’m saying just that. Barclaycard were quite clever in doing it this way round. 25k for those that rush in, nab the bonus and downgrade (but are now excluded from the 50k) and, 50k for, presumably, those less likely to have just been in it for the SUB-and-downgrade route, but now may be a bit more loyal.

Those in-between, who didn’t rush in to churn it but were hooked by the advertising all over the place over the last couple of months, now see others getting 50k. If that were me, I’d be annoyed and would probably now rush to leave Barclays and wait for the next increased SUB if/when one is offered.

Maples 182 posts

I’m fairly new to the points game with credit cards but aren’t these boosted points for new sign-ups a regular occurance?

The points will go back down to 25K and then some time in the future, they’ll increase it for a window again, surely? Or are you guys annoyed that the bonus came a bit too early?

But yeah, it’s sad when we get the short end of the stick.

trader363 109 posts

If I signed up a friend and he was willing to “give” me the avios – what’s the best way to transfer it to me? I’m guessing transferring his nectar points to my nectar account? I’m sure there must be a limit though

masaccio 717 posts

Excellent. OH applied. Annoyingly not auto-accepted for some reason. Time to wait for the slow Barclays machine

MattB 259 posts

Great deal but awful timing for us, as just sold the house and looking around to buy, but may need a mortgage so not worth the risk.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Reney 755 posts

Any data points on retiree having luck with applying for this card? One of my players is a retire who has yet to come to her full pension rights. I believe the application doesn’t count household income or assets?

masaccio 717 posts

I believe the application doesn’t count household income or assets?

Just done one and was only asked for personal income (net and gross) and number of dependants.

masaccio 717 posts

If I signed up a friend and he was willing to “give” me the avios – what’s the best way to transfer it to me? I’m guessing transferring his nectar points to my nectar account? I’m sure there must be a limit though

Isn’t that potentially a way of saying “Dear BA, could you please close my BAEC account and cancel all my Avios and Tier Points?”

NorthernLass 7,472 posts

I don’t think you can transfer Nectar points. The only legitimate way I can think of that you could use his avios is if he booked you a flight from his BAEC account. This is allowed under the rules as long as you’re not letting him use your garden as a quid pro quo 😂

shub 86 posts

Has anyone applied for the card within 6 months of having another Barclaycard credit card? I had the Barclaycard Platinum travel credit card which I closed in Feb end. If I just answer “Do you have a Barclaycard, or have you had one in the last six months?” as No, any chances the application might still go through?
    Thanks

alig4th 322 posts

I don’t think you can transfer Nectar points. The only legitimate way I can think of that you could use his avios is if he booked you a flight from his BAEC account. This is allowed under the rules as long as you’re not letting him use your garden as a quid pro quo 😂

You could add them to your household account?

robkeane 78 posts

JDB “your comment implies annoyance that they have been quite smart and lured the SUB tarts early”

Are you saying that’s what HFP did, acted as a lure for the SUB tarts given they were the major launch partner at a lower bonus level ?

can 506 posts

This is just textbook confirmation bias.

Yes, my wife and son anticipated this so they waited and we just got one card initially, now we can average up the SUB.

Gary 293 posts

In life, you win some you lose some.

JDB 4,339 posts

JDB “your comment implies annoyance that they have been quite smart and lured the SUB tarts early”

Are you saying that’s what HFP did, acted as a lure for the SUB tarts given they were the major launch partner at a lower bonus level ?

No. ‘They’ clearly refers to Barclaycard which has played people at their own game.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.