Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Algarve resort suggestions

• The Savage Squirrel 570 posts

Not my thing , so have no knowledge here, but after road trips and active breaks, Mrs Squirrel has insisted a family resort type holiday needs to be on the agenda for 2023, has even uttered the words “all inclusive” as a suggestion and has declared Portugal her preferred location. Protest was in vain so I have bowed to the inevitable. I know that Rhys has been to Pine Cliffs and that there is a Domes resort in Vilamoura that looks reasonable. Does anyone have feedback or any other advice or suggestions? Does not have to be points.

Richie 989 posts

The sea is too chilly for me.

Froggee 897 posts

You use the word family. Are there kittens in the Savage Squirrel household? If so and they are under 10 years old then I’m afraid to report that my spawn have never been as happy on holiday as at Martinhal in Sagres.

Once you accept the fact that there are kids everywhere and the service can sometimes be a bit slow/haphazard albeit friendly you can just switch off. It isn’t cheap but I like the fact that we can just get a taxi there and not leave until it’s time to come home and therefore I completely switch off.

It isn’t “luxury” despite claiming to be but it works for us given that you can get a proper house, eat in their restaurants, get takeout or cater for yourselves.

Amongst many downsides it’s 80 minutes transfer from FAO. We’re going back in October for the first time since Covid. I fully expect it to be awful but my kids will be happy and thus I will be totally relaxed. Don’t take teenagers there. The few I’ve seen looked traumatised.

The Savage Squirrel 570 posts

Thanks Froggee. Mini 🐿 no.1 is now old enough to classify as a moody almost-teen. She looks traumatised most of the time so not sure how we’d tell the difference 😆

Tariq 79 posts

I just came back from Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas. Really nice resort, not all-inclusive, but was a bargain on points compared to the cash price.

Complimentary transport from the hotel to the beach and the hotel has a beach bar down there too where you can charge back to room. Plenty of food options in the hotel itself, free parking, very modern and well maintained rooms (less than 10 years old I believe). Spa facilities onsite and a kids club where you can park the little ones for a half-day.

Any specific questions, just ask.

I just came back from Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas. Really nice resort, not all-inclusive, but was a bargain on points compared to the cash price.

Complimentary transport from the hotel to the beach and the hotel has a beach bar down there too where you can charge back to room. Plenty of food options in the hotel itself, free parking, very modern and well maintained rooms (less than 10 years old I believe). Spa facilities onsite and a kids club where you can park the little ones for a half-day.

Any specific questions, just ask.

Thanks Tariq. I do like a free breakfast for gold. Could be an option!

chelseafifi 53 posts

For an all inclusive resort I recommend Ikos but if you definitely want Algarve next year, new Algarve Ikos not due to open until 2024.

To dare is to do 131 posts

We’ve stayed here Tivoli Marina Vilamoura Algarve Resort has beach one side Marina the other. Close to lots of really nice restaurants so no taxis required. Nice spa for Mrs Squirrel or indeed yourself. Indoor pool as well.

We’re going on a cheapie to Pine Hills Vilamoura in October which is self catering but might be better a 2 bed apartment with a nearly teenager! Will report back. Prefer Vilamoura area to other areas.

Roberto 281 posts

PineCliffs is excellent if travelling with kids in tow , plenty to keep them occupied. It’s a great resort and one we have been to many times in the shoulder seasons. Super beach and for or five pools inc an indoor one which is full of kids. There are villas for larger families as well. Usual Marriott style and good albeit expensive food options, make sure you get the free breakfast option

The Conrad which is 20 mins away is also a beautiful resort too with almost eye-wateringly high prices that we stayed at in June and have booked for next June as a Hilton award. There is often a 443 or 544 promotion on which together with the excellent free gold/diamond breakfast can make it reasonably priced. I paid €39 for two rum and gingers at the bar there recently and still feel the pain… very classy and well worth exploring.

Much to do nearby each property, get a car and eat locally – both offer so much.

Graham-Walsh 61 posts

Funny enough, my fiancé mentioned Portugal this morning on where to go next year with my kids (they’ll be 12 and 10). Give them a pool and they’ll spend all day in it. Did half board this year in Ibiza which good at a Melia. Just so many places and options, it is so hard to find something, especially when looking to maximise points/status.

Thanks all. Some good suggestions to work through.

Much to do nearby each property, get a car and eat locally – both offer so much.

Couldn’t agree more. Exploring is essential and not even an all-inclusive deal would keep me shackled to in property options.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.