Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Gold retention offers

• Harry T 96 posts

Received 20k as a retention offer the other day, via retention team on chat.

HJ 37 posts

I received a 20k retention offer via chat today. Held the gold card since 2016 if that helps – the chat agent certainly made it seem like that was the only reason I was given this ‘exclusive offer’ 😅

Is it cheeky to use the Plat upgrade offer shortly after they post?

goldengirl22 45 posts

Has anyone managed to get the fee waived instead for the 2nd year?

Andrew J 769 posts

Not legally possible for Amex to do that – cards need to be offered on equal terms to everyone.

JDB 4,380 posts

Not legally possible for Amex to do that – cards need to be offered on equal terms to everyone.

@Andrew
    J you are right of course, yet it is a very thin line between offering money off and offering exceptionally large sums of quasi money, usually on an unconditional basis. Even non regulated firms make retention offers conditional on some sort of lock in. I have written also about how it offers the BAPP voucher at different prices to different people so they already don’t treat customers equally.

Amex seems to think it is a law unto itself; I would love them to explain to their policy of repeatedly rewarding disloyalty.

samgwaters11 20 posts

Mine is up for renewal in November. I messaged live chat and was offered 7000 points, but then phoned up and got offered 6000 on top of that, so 13000 total. I was told they couldn’t offer any more than that, i’m pretty happy with what I’ve got though.

Traveljunkie 15 posts

Mine is up for renewal in November. I messaged live chat and was offered 7000 points, but then phoned up and got offered 6000 on top of that, so 13000 total. I was told they couldn’t offer any more than that, i’m pretty happy with what I’ve got though.

Did you accept the chat offer of 7,000 points and then called up to confirm you are cancelling? What were the timelines?

Traveljunkie 15 posts

Been offered 20K via chat. Once this is posted can I still cancel and get a pro rata refund?

Harrier25 852 posts

Been offered 20K via chat. Once this is posted can I still cancel and get a pro rata refund?

Yes.

samgwaters11 20 posts

Did you accept the chat offer of 7,000 points and then called up to confirm you are cancelling? What were the timelines?

After being offered 7000 I told live chat that I would consider it and get back to them, then a day later phoned Amex and the person on the phone said 7000 again but I said I wasn’t sure i could justify it and he then offered 6000 on-top. I think if I’d have waited until the card renews they would’ve offered 20000, but I wasn’t sure whether they would or not and I’m happy with 13000.

duggie1982 263 posts

Tried via chat (in my first year) no offer and they closed it there and then

Aston100 1,383 posts

20k offered on chat, within moments.
    Inside first year.

SamG 1,644 posts

10k today. I don’t use it much not sure if that makes a difference

Ash 621 posts

Gold Business Card – one year opening, used heavily,…retention offer….1 extra MR per pound spent for 6 months. No thank you. Cancelled.

Harrier25 852 posts

Gold Business Card – one year opening, used heavily,…retention offer….1 extra MR per pound spent for 6 months. No thank you. Cancelled.

If used heavily then that could be an attractive retention offer!

Ash 621 posts

I have the BAPP and Platinum, alternatives spending routes available

scholar wong 46 posts

Just got offered 20k MR via chat. Happy days.

ringingup 178 posts

Only offered 10K on my partner’s card via chat.

Carlos 758 posts

From the platinum data points looks like the phone line CS agents give more points

mzb 64 posts

10k offered on Sunday via Chat for my wife’s Amex Gold. Surprised it was so low, as we spent a reasonable amount on the card during the first year. Annual Fee had just posted.

aq.1988 454 posts

Just got offered 10k MR via chat. A little disappointed not to get offered the 20k people earlier in the thread were being offered (although 10k seems more common recently).

I have the free rewards card for MR, and the Avios Plus BC for non-Amex payments, so not desperate to keep the card. I’ve had £25 back in Deliveroo credits, and last time I tried to use PP in Luton, the lounge was full.

I’ve referred like 6 people for cards this year, and put a lot on the card, so thought they might offer the higher amount.

I didn’t confirm cancellation yet, thinking of calling tomorrow instead. Has anyone had success of getting a better offer by calling vs chat?

Vit 158 posts

Similar to most here — got offered 10k MR points via chat. Nothing to excited as we spent reasonably high amount on the card to make the most of double MR point on FX. Will still cancel it first thing next year.

davidm377 2 posts

Just did this after reading through this thread. Asked to be put through to the retention team after the benefits of staying were explained to me. Checked my account and an immediate offer of 20k points.

VinZ 142 posts

Did the whole thing, said I wanted to cancel the card, got put through the retention offer team, said I knew the benefits of the card and I was offered a… downgrade!

This is what I was told

We highly appreciate your long term association with us. Please be informed that retention offers are based upon solicitation and are account specific, so they will show on the account only when they are available for your card account. And there is no such specific period for the offer to show up under the account.
    And, at this moment the account is showing downgrade offer. You can check with us in coming days and the new offers may appear as they keep changing.

I wouldn’t even know where these offers appear. I’ve had the card since 30th Aug 22.

aq.1988 454 posts

Did the whole thing, said I wanted to cancel the card, got put through the retention offer team, said I knew the benefits of the card and I was offered a… downgrade!

This is what I was told

We highly appreciate your long term association with us. Please be informed that retention offers are based upon solicitation and are account specific, so they will show on the account only when they are available for your card account. And there is no such specific period for the offer to show up under the account.
    And, at this moment the account is showing downgrade offer. You can check with us in coming days and the new offers may appear as they keep changing.

I wouldn’t even know where these offers appear. I’ve had the card since 30th Aug 22.

You probably didn’t get offered anything because you’re still in your free first year. Wait until the annual fee posts, and then see if they offer anything. I wouldn’t expect an offer on a free card.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.