Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Gold retention offers

• Maples 194 posts

What’s so attractive about the FX on the Gold card?

You get 2 MR points per £1 spend abroad, so the 3% fee hurts less. I was using the card abroad and had no issues with this, and I’d rather get 2 points rather than 0.5% cashback from my NatWest Reward Black.

JDB 4,384 posts

@Cranzle – on the gold card you get 2x MR on FX spend and 3x on airline tickets in foreign currencies. You also get the extra 0.5 MR at each £5k threshold so this offsets a lot of the FX fee while giving you s75 protection something I consider valuable for hotel deposits and airline bookings in particular. My personal experience is also that with Amex, particularly in weirder currencies, I get a better exchange rate so the net net works out better than FX free cards.

1967stuart2 15 posts

Had the Amex Gold card for 18 months.

Received 25k retention offer at the start of the second year so was happy to keep the card (even taking into account the annual fee). Just received a further 25k retention offer for spending £1k in 3 months which I am happy with.

Will then see what they offer me at the end of my 2nd year

TGLoyalty 536 posts

Just received a further 25k retention offer for spending £1k in 3 months which I am happy with.

Same here. Pretty Happy with that.

Beats all the churning malarky

CJD 34 posts

How are people getting these offers? Are you calling or doing it through web chat?

TGLoyalty 536 posts

Yeah via chat I said I was looking at my options to reduce the fees I pay for Amex cards and cancelling gold was an option so was there anything that could offer to help add some value.

Mainline421 5 posts

Offered 12,000 points for £1k spending in 3 months via live chat. Not as high as I’d hoped

Bob Smith 4 posts

Have been offered 25k MR for £1k spending in 3 months. Thinking of taking it. Deliveroo non existent in my area. Any thoughts?

degsy 152 posts

Have been offered 25k MR for £1k spending in 3 months. Thinking of taking it. Deliveroo non existent in my area. Any thoughts?

I think that’s about as good as it gets on gold. Personally I’d snap it up. An easy 25k with no commitment on your side. No major risk for you on fees, given pro-rata refunds are still in place

JDB 4,384 posts

On the basis that Amex is offering you more than the annual fee in points for a very modest outlay which you might be able to enhance with an offer, it seems like a no brainer. Re Deliveroo, can you offer it to anyone else? We also don’t have Deliveroo anywhere near us, but my son uses it in London and there was previously something on here that enabled one to give it to charity.

Bob Smith 4 posts

Thanks; just signed up

bungalow 179 posts

12,000 for £1k over 3 months, asked them for more but was told it’s account specific. Better than nothing, renewal is up in 3 months anyway, appreciate the heads up.

* how often can you get these offers?

JonathanC 103 posts

Does anyone have any experience of backlash on Amex’s part if you accept a retention offer, do the spend and then close the account as soon as you’ve been given the bonus points at all ?

I’ve been offered 12k points for £1k in three months, but I should be able to do it within a month, then cancel the card as soon as the points credit, I’ve got VS+ card for until around February at the earliest when I might get rid of it, and I’m not redeeming my MR points immediately as I’ve also got the free MR card (ARCC)

Maples 194 posts

I think people do that but you’re risking it, I guess.

I got the retention offer, then ended up buying a GPU and hit the requirement within a few days, then fancied the Platinum, so upgraded and have also got the 40K upgrade bonus. Hopefully I’m in the clear, as I was going to cancel (if there wasn’t a retention offer on the Gold) and then get the BAPP.

TGLoyalty 536 posts

You could be loyal for 25 years and get cancelled anyway so make hay while the sun shines.

FYI hit the £1k spend already and 25k point duly posted a day later.

CJD 34 posts

Got offered fuck all when I cancelled today.

Not too bothered as I genuinely wanted to cancel – I’m considering applying for the Barclaycard so I’ve got an Avios earning MasterCard so don’t want 3 cards I’m paying for and the perks aren’t worth the money to me, but I was a bit surprised not to be offered anything.

Harrier25 852 posts

😯 Language Timothy.

LittleNick 129 posts

My gold just coming up for renewal mid next month. Put through about £25k as I had maxed all the rewards as you go bonus, got offered 25k MR points if I spend £1k in next 3 months so accepted and will keep the card.

mrd 20 posts

I was offered 10k points if I spent £1k in 3 months. Oddly enough the 10k points are now in my account.

Does that mean I don’t even need to spend the £1k anymore? I would have thought they’d credit my the points once I had become eligible.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.