Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Gold retention offers

• pelicanicecoffeeolaf 64 posts

I just accept 12k points for 1k spend in 3 months, but it looks like the 12k points have already come through anyway! Anyone else had this?

JDB 4,386 posts

I just accept 12k points for 1k spend in 3 months, but it looks like the 12k points have already come through anyway! Anyone else had this?

Yes, it’s been reported before that the conditions don’t even need to be met, so it’s a straight fee discount. They most commonly offer 20k MR without conditions, so 12k with a spend target seems quite measly.

Nachmon9 17 posts

You can earn 25,000 Membership Rewards® points if you spend £1,000 within the following 3 months from enrolment. This is on top of the points you already earn. You don’t need to take any action, if you accept this offer I will enrol you now

Just got this, had the card for 9 month now

JDB 4,386 posts

You can earn 25,000 Membership Rewards® points if you spend £1,000 within the following 3 months from enrolment. This is on top of the points you already earn. You don’t need to take any action, if you accept this offer I will enrol you now

Interesting – that’s the highest retention offer reported here in over two years. The most recent ones have been 7k, 10k or 20k but not usually conditional on spend. At least they are upping the retention ante as well as the annual fee.

Super Secret Stuff 357 posts

You can earn 25,000 Membership Rewards® points if you spend £1,000 within the following 3 months from enrolment. This is on top of the points you already earn. You don’t need to take any action, if you accept this offer I will enrol you now

I had a conditional spend offered the other day for 12k points for 1k spend. But am focusing on VA + now so cancelled anyway

Between the priority pass price increases for additional visits, bad cashback offers, fee increases and upcoming pro rata fee changes I’ve jumped over to virgin, who offer me as a (usually) solo traveler better flexibility with their upgrade voucher

That’s before I even mention customer service…

Kraut 11 posts

Did it yesterday, 12k points for £1k/3 month spend

Tim416283 4 posts

Just had an offer for 12k points for £1k spend over 3 months, due to renew in a couple of weeks

Justin 41 posts

Just got offered 25k MR for £1k spend within 3 months. Yearly spend is above £50k on it.

NZAvios 1 post

Just got the same offer: 25k MR for £1k spend within 3 months, with yearly spend on it of c£30k.

Tried to cancel as just got the BA platinum to focus on Avios. Will still cancel after I convert that extra 25k into Avios, unless they offer again….. hmm.

Will787 16 posts

Only got 7k MR for £1k spend in 3 months (possibly as I only spent £4k on the card last year as most spend is on BAPP).

MikeP 5 posts

Just got offered 12k MR for £1k spend in 3 months.

I downgraded to the free card. Most of my spending now is on Barclays collecting Avios – only real reason for keeping it was I had a number of MR points still.

I might revisit this later, but given I’ve got HSBC Premier to earn Kris Flyer points also, I was struggling to justify £160/annum.

chigu 2 posts

Just got the same 25k MR offer, for a £1k spend within 3 months. Yearly spend ~£25k. I asked to be put through to the retention team via online chat.

Harrods 120 posts

In first free year and barely spend on the card and got offered 7k MR points for GBP 1k spend…

points_worrier 295 posts

Month 10 of year 1 fee-free year. Spent between £5-10k. Offered 12,000 points if I spend £1000.

Maples 195 posts

Got offered 12K MR points for £1K spent in the next 3 months. Have had the Gold card since 2022 and this is the first time I asked if there was a retention offer. Renewal is in April, and spendings this past year has been just over £20K.

ee 48 posts

Annual fee just charged, and offered 7k points for £1k spend over 3 months. Annual spend is about £10k on the card.

Harrods 120 posts

Record low of 5k points for £1k spend lol, first year of the gold card with minimal spend (I’m currently on month 10/11). Probably 2-3k spend so far.

JDB 4,386 posts

Record low of 5k points for £1k spend lol, first year of the gold card with minimal spend (I’m currently on month 10/11). Probably 2-3k spend so far.

Oh dear! Either there’s a problem with your chat up lines or they have spunked the whole retention budget on the posh Platinum folk. You should be getting at least 12k and really the current ante is 20k.

ee 48 posts

Annual fee just charged, and offered 7k points for £1k spend over 3 months. Annual spend is about £10k on the card.

Maybe worth adding here that this is my partners card, and her income is just below the new £20k minimum. Amex know this but still happy to offer some retention.

redethernet1 89 posts

12k points for spending £1k in 3 months

Skellig 6 posts

Another data point for 25,000 points. I’ve had the gold card for almost one year. I was offered 25,000 points for 1k spend over the next three months. I’ve had various different Amex cards over 25+ years- not sure if that makes any difference.

JDB 4,386 posts

Another data point for 25,000 points. I’ve had the gold card for almost one year. I was offered 25,000 points for 1k spend over the next three months. I’ve had various different Amex cards over 25+ years- not sure if that makes any difference.

At last, well done for not putting up with the measly 12k or even 7k some are accepting.

dmm27 55 posts

Just asked about retention offer and offered 7K points for £3k spend. Declined as already in the 2nd year and used up all the lounge passes last week!

Interestingly, the chat offer included “And this offer is applicable if you agree to keep your current card active and use it because it’s a retention offer.” So they might be getting more strict about keeping it for the full 3 months

Vit 158 posts

Approaching the end of (free) 1st year after downgrading from Plat.
    1st retention (Sep 2023) — 20k (unconditional)
    2nd retention (Feb 2024) — 25k (for 1k spend)

Undecided re-approach going forward as totally agreed with @JDB that this is the best AMEX card to hold on to (in my personal opinion) especially with FX & airfare spending.

Cranzle 272 posts

Approaching the end of (free) 1st year after downgrading from Plat.
    1st retention (Sep 2023) — 20k (unconditional)
    2nd retention (Feb 2024) — 25k (for 1k spend)

Undecided re-approach going forward as totally agreed with @JDB that this is the best AMEX card to hold on to (in my personal opinion) especially with FX & airfare spending.

What’s so attractive about the FX on the Gold card?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.