Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Gold retention offers

• zapato1060 637 posts

Should I wait til after first year anniversary or just before?

Carlos 758 posts

Should I wait til after first year anniversary or just before?

After as its computer generated

andrewlrogers 2 posts

Just tried to cancel Gold via live chat, I was pushing for cancelation and didn’t ask if they could offer me anything. They then offered me 20k to stay which I accepted, I read above I can still cancel in a couple of months is that correct?

Maples 194 posts

I’ve seen many posts of people cancelling after a while of getting their retention offer – seems scummy but it’s been done before by others.

Also, 20K is nice, thought it was mostly 10K being offered.

gtellez 162 posts

I just got 10k points via chat (no additional spending needed). Not bad, mainly considering that I got the 10k for spending 15K few days ago. My father in law got 5K after spending 1k.

Thrillington 40 posts

Just offered 20,000 points.

I asked explicitly outright, but still had to go round the houses a bit to get there (first agent took a long time ‘looking at my account’ before transferring me to the retention department) and then that person kept wanting to talk about the benefits. Told them I’m familiar with the benefits, but since my wife now had a Gold card too I wasn’t sure it was worth both of us having one.

Suddenly offered the 20k ‘in recognition of your loyalty.’

Like many, I think I’ll hold on until the benefits change in October and re-assess ahead of my next fee in Jan. Considering moving to the BAPP for a couple of years (or sticking with the Avios Barclaycard) before returning to Gold or Plat.

travelwell 56 posts

20k offered. Just make sure you get transferred to
    The retention team.

JDB 4,384 posts

This increase in retention bonus on PRG from 10k to 20k would appear to be the best part of the recently announced ‘enhancements’.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Rui N. 831 posts

Also got offered 20k today. Even complained about a recent experience with a dispute charge* but was offered the “standard”.

*Basically, I was able to enter a PP lounge in the UK (news in itself, I know) and they decided to charge me 3 entries, including one for a 1-year old baby (which is supposed to be free). I mentioned at entrance that the baby was under 2 and got a verbal “confirmation” (“hum hum”), but clearly the baby was charged as I got a £20 in my Gold card (I wasn’t asked to sign the machine at entry, so couldn’t see what it was inputted into the system).
    I tried to contact PP, on the phone they were useless and never got back to me by email or via website contact form. I tried to do a dispute charge with Amex, none of the options offered were relevant, so I tried via chat. Oh boy, what incompetence. First couple of guys claimed that I couldn’t dispute a charge from an Amex partner (LOL) and told me to contact PP (I refused, said I already tried enought times with the merchant). Eventually one of them said that they he had contacted PP himself and that if I called there will be already a note with them to refund me the money. I called PP, and of course nothing was there.
    I tried again on the chat, and finally got one person to admit that the team that answers the chat can’t raise dispute charges. I asked for someone that could, and they finally found me someone that raised the dispute. I now had a “normal” dispute charge ongoing, was asked to submit supporting documentation (uploaded infant boarding pass) and got the £20 after PP didn’t reply the dispute within the deadline… (they are such good “partners” that PP didn’t even bothered to reply!)
    I’ll make an official complaint one of these days 🙂

Carlos 758 posts

What are people responding when speaking to retentions team?

I’m sorry to know that you would like to cancel your card…
    May I ask what attracted you to this card when you originally signed up?

Thrillington 40 posts

What are people responding when speaking to retentions team?

I’m sorry to know that you would like to cancel your card…
    May I ask what attracted you to this card when you originally signed up?

I don’t think it really matters – they just want to figure out which other benefits to mention to you to persuade you to stay. They’ll follow up whatever you say with asking ‘may I explain the benefits you may be missing’ or some such. Just be explicit in asking for a retention offer.

SimonD 10 posts

Just spoke to an agent on the live chat and expressed my disappointment over the recent changes to the Gold Card terms. I pointed out that I would actually like to apply for a Platinum card by the offer of 0 points and £0 Amex travel credit for existing members (as expressed on the phones), was a blocker. Sadly there was nothing he could do about that, but did offer 20k MR for me keep the Gold, which was nice.

Laura 11 posts

20k for me today on live chat.

Said that I wasn’t getting value on the card anymore and I hadn’t been able to use my priority pass the last two times I flew as the lounge was full.

Laura 11 posts

20k for me today on live chat.

Said that I wasn’t getting value on the card anymore and I hadn’t been able to use my priority pass the last two times I flew as the lounge was full.

Traveljunkie 15 posts

What does 20K points equate to? I’m up for renewal in October but thinking of cancelling given the feee and signing up to the BA Amex fee card.

Rui N. 831 posts

You have the card and don’t know what 20k points brings you? Maybe that’s the first thing to learn before making any decisions 🙂

memesweeper 1,256 posts

My *business* Gold cancellation was abandoned when I was offered most of my annual fee back as a statement credit. I’ve had 100% back in previous years, but with a big MR balance I’d prefer not to be moving out right now, this was sufficient to make me stay with Amex for another year.

cacolborn 6 posts

Just offered 20,000 via chat.

“Hello, my annual fee is due and I do not feel I am getting the value out of the card. The fee is increasing and MR structure changing e.g. spending £15,000 used to reward you with 10,000 MR points, now it is only 7,500. Also my fiance has a card so it seems silly us both having them. I also have had situations where the Priority pass has not been useful as lounges have been full so I can’t enter. Unless there were a retention offer I could just cancel.”

TJ 91 posts

Just received 20k points from the retention team (no spend target). Halfway through my membership year and just received my 10k bonus for spending £15k. Fairly happy with result and will now look at an upgrade path to Platinum in a few months if there’s a good bonus attached to it.

Wenby 10 posts

Not sure if people would be comfortable sharing as I have been curious about some of the retention offers which seem quite high.
    For example are people getting offered retention 5-10k but they don’t hit the annual spend bonus so Amex are cannibalizing the potential points from that?

My wife and don’t do any dodgy MS or churning of cards and put tens of thousands through my gold card.
    I didn’t get offered a retention offer last time I tried with the usual spiel.

Carlos 758 posts

Just received 20k points from the retention team (no spend target). Halfway through my membership year and just received my 10k bonus for spending £15k. Fairly happy with result and will now look at an upgrade path to Platinum in a few months if there’s a good bonus attached to it.

Doesnt the 10k come after the anniversary after hitting £15k?

Aston100 1,383 posts

“Hello, my annual fee is due and I do not feel I am getting the value out of the card. The fee is increasing and MR structure changing e.g. spending £15,000 used to reward you with 10,000 MR points, now it is only 7,500. Also my fiance has a card so it seems silly us both having them. I also have had situations where the Priority pass has not been useful as lounges have been full so I can’t enter. Unless there were a retention offer I could just cancel.”

Nice however I believe you have to have a retention offer created by the system and not via the whims of the CS agent.
    Have you claimed a retention bonus in the past, how long have you had your account? There should be a template to submit to make use of data points to be more useful.

Sorry, accidentally hit the report button (again).
    I think you are right. It can’t be up to the discretion of a CS agent to decide whether you get a retention offer (or the size of it).

TJ 91 posts

Doesnt the 10k come after the anniversary after hitting £15k?

All changed on 12 Oct. You now receive your bonus after hitting a tier threshold. See HfP article: https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/10/13/american-express-gold-changes-launch-today/

Ladyshopper 110 posts

Only 10k for me. Just done via live chat. I apparently had to have my chat connected to the retentions team, whereas before, it’s always been dealt with by the first person I’ve been chatting to.

Anyway, better than nothing.

Carlos 758 posts

Only 10k for me. Just done via live chat. I apparently had to have my chat connected to the retentions team, whereas before, it’s always been dealt with by the first person I’ve been chatting to.

Anyway, better than nothing.

Depends sometimes the CS agent works in the retention team, however it is computer generated so it doesnt matter who you get or what time of day it is

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.