Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Gold retention offers

• HFPCar 56 posts

Hi 👋 what retention offers have folk got my gold is up for renewal
    Many thanks

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Froggee 896 posts

I got 10,000 points and a very long sales pitch on how I should use my deliveroo credit. She was so fluent I didn’t want to cut her off.

Aston100 1,383 posts

10k a few months ago.
    Nothing when I actually cancelled very recently (they checked for retention offers but unable to provide any due to the previous 10k).

HFPCar 56 posts

10k not really that much especially as i still have to pay £140…. shame

Froggee 896 posts

Remember you can take the 10,000 points and cancel a month or two later and they’ll refund you the bulk of that £140.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

I cancelled last week and was offered nothing to retain a personal Gold.

My business Gold is now on its second year free following a threat to quit.

HFPCar 56 posts

Remember you can take the 10,000 points and cancel a month or two later and they’ll refund you the bulk of that £140.

Thanks decided to stick with it, got offered 10K retention plus i will get another 10k 60 days after the anniversary bonus, also looks like i will get another 10k if i spend 10k by end of next year.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Anyone sticking with gold after receiving retention bonus?
    The Deliveroo credits are useful for us, but worth sacrificing the 2 year wait?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

Went to cancel Mrs T’s Gold last month via chat and got a 10k points retention offer fairly quickly.
    However, we are looking to wind down our Amex activity now and enter the 2 year fallow period so I cancelled it last week.
    Overall, received a £120 refund so cost £20 (£140 annual fee less £120 refund) for 10,000 points, which seems a good return to me.

secretsquirrel 29 posts

Wow, you managed to get a retention offer via live chat! I always get asked to call in if I mention cancel or retention bonus.

opcacioppo 6 posts

Is anyone on two points per £ ie Legacy status? Gold business card.

pbcold 348 posts

I hardly use my Gold Card, I simply have it for the 90,000 points from referrals, but was just given 5,000 points to spend £1,000 in three months.

Tony1 4 posts

Data Point : Business Platinum – no retention offers ( tried 4 times in 4 years )

jumpfrog 23 posts

Anyone with any recent retention offers? I am thinking of having a stab although I’ve only been holding it since AUG21

David D 35 posts

Tried today via chat and got no retention offer – I did get a long sales pitch and when I said I was struggling to justify the annual fee etc, got told to consider some of the free cards that would be better suit my needs..

pointyhead 12 posts

My gold anniversary was yesterday. I went on live chat today, said I’m aware of all the benefits but I just can’t justify the fee and I’m considering cancelling. I asked if there was any extra that could be offered that would make it more worthwhile to keep the card. I was transferred over to another chat agent who after briefly telling me the benefits, to which I replied I was aware of but still can’t justify it, offered me 10,000 points.
    I’ve been an Amex holder for 5 years in total.

jumpfrog 23 posts

With a couple of months to go until my first anniversary I thought I might try online chat for a retention bonus. They offered 7000 points which I accepted.

MikeP 5 posts

Just called up. A few minutes on hold, after which the call dropped.

Called up again, complained about being put on hold and then got through to someone in the UK. Offered and accepted 10k points. Have held the card since 2019 and this is the first time I tried for a retention offer.

rikachu 6 posts

Hmm, interesting to see these offers!

I’ve still got an Amex Gold Charge Card… just got an offer of 20,000 MR points if I upgrade to Platinum.

Not sure if I should bite because the annual cost is so much higher 😩

Or just bin the card and stick with my BA Premium Plus

TokyoFan 16 posts

Immediate 10k MR points this morning via live chat. Just said I had a new barclaycard and the BAPP and so don’t feel the need for it or the value of the fee.
    No indication that I need keep the card any longer than it takes me to transfer the points back out.
    Expecting to pay this month’s balance on the due date and close it then. Guessing they won’t take back the points once they’re out (or close my BAPP?!)

Rui N. 831 posts

They don’t take the points after you’re out. What they’ll do to your BAPP no one can answer.

KP 27 posts

Was charged £140 annual fee so wanted to cancel. Via live chat, the agent offered my wife 7k points. I then contacted the agent via live chat and I was offered 20k point. Needless to say, we both accepted. We will use the deliveroo benefits next month and cancel.

JDB 4,378 posts

Was charged £140 annual fee so wanted to cancel. Via live chat, the agent offered my wife 7k points. I then contacted the agent via live chat and I was offered 20k point. Needless to say, we both accepted. We will use the deliveroo benefits next month and cancel.

Well done! I was surprised to see someone above accept 10k as that has been (per this thread) the norm for a while but they inevitably needed to up the ante after this week’s changes. 20k is the floor now.

TokyoFan 16 posts

Well done! I was surprised to see someone above accept 10k as that has been (per this thread) the norm for a while but they inevitably needed to up the ante after this week’s changes. 20k is the floor now.

I wanted quick and easy!

danstravel 31 posts

20k retention offer offered via live chat and gladly accepted

Will re-assess in October the long term ‘hold-ability’ of the gold card then…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.