Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Gold retention offers

• dahokolomoki 103 posts

On the Business Gold card – went through live chat to cancel. Was offered double points on all spending for the next 6 months. Was not offered any reduced annual fee amount.

scholar wong 46 posts

Just received 7k MR, which hit the account instantly.

1967stuart2 15 posts

Received 10,000 miles for retaining the card. Was happy with that and accepted it.

Bloxorus 12 posts

Was offered 20k via chat today to keep the card. Almost exactly 1 year ago since I received my last 20k retention offer.

David D 35 posts

What team do you ask to speak to on live chat? I tried and the agent kept wanting to refer me to the cancellations team about cancelling my gold card.. and also kept asking me if I wanted to go ahead and close the card. I did ask to speak to a retentions team. No luck as yet

Crafty 150 posts

Closed mine last week straight after going into year 2 – no retention offer.

Josh 19 posts

Went to the chat today to cancel/try for an offer.

Immediately asked whether to review benefits of gold card or continue to cancellation.

I asked upright is there any retention offers, apparently none available on my account.

FWIW – this is going into year 3 of gold. My spend since May has drastically fell off as my partner got a BA amex so we have been hitting that for the companion voucher. I was hoping for a retention so I can move back spending to gold but now might just cancel and go full avios for a while.

Maybe I can try again? Dunno.

user1 5 posts

Business gold, week after yearly payment taken out, just been offered £80 or double points for 6 months. Reasonably heavy spender, not sure what to do as I said I’ll think about it. Got £125 credit last July. Anyone had a better offer on their gold business card? Cheers

rams 223 posts

Player 2 got 7k points in March. And 10k just now. Decent. I got 10k in June, will wait till Nov and ask again

Strilen 9 posts

I got offered 10k when I cancelled yesterday, doesn’t cover the cost/value for us so I declined.

leeloy88 2 posts

20k offer last week.

paulm 12 posts

10K or downgrade to green offered today – took the 10K

Harrier25 852 posts

I got offered 10k when I cancelled yesterday, doesn’t cover the cost/value for us so I declined.

Total madness. Why didn’t you accept the 10,000 points and then cancel when points had landed in your account?

JDB 4,384 posts

Total madness. Why didn’t you accept the 10,000 points and then cancel when points had landed in your account?

I don’t know if you are just trolling or genuinely don’t realise that what the OP and others in the past have reported is how most people behave; it’s basic common decency. Fortunately we live in a society where, even in 2023, most people simply aren’t expedient, mercenary and greedy.

Harrier25 852 posts

🙄 Try having a day off, JDB.

Bill_B 87 posts

Maybe because they don’t want to risk their relationship with Amex for a token amount of points?

Rui N. 831 posts

If they didn’t want to risk their relationship they wouldn’t have cancelled the card…

Bill_B 87 posts

If they didn’t want to risk their relationship they wouldn’t have cancelled the card…

Well from what I have seen people churn Amex cards all the time without any issue. But I haven’t seen any data points for people accepting goodwill retention offers and then cancelling immediately afterwards.

Harrier25 852 posts

You clearly haven’t been reading posts on this site for very long then @Bill_B.

ChrisBCN 237 posts

*Not the UK card

Just had a retention offer on the Spanish Gold, maybe somebody might find it interesting as a point of comparison. The card is €192 (pretty similar to the UK fee). They first offered €50 to spend in restaurants (cumulative, no minimum spend), then informed me of the new €100 amex travel spend (one year only, not cumulative, no minimum spend but obviously need to spend the 100 to get full value).

They then upped the ante and halved the fee to €96.

I thought that was a good deal (€150 of ‘free’ spend, plus the usual lounge passes, avios, the €60-70 I usually get out of shop small) for my €96 so I’m quite happy.

Harrier25 852 posts

Gracias por ser cliente de American Express.

Strilen 9 posts

No madness here, my comfort level of opportunism is just less than yours.

namster 70 posts

accepted 10k to keep gold after my first year fee was due. Only really use the monthly deliveroo credit from the gold rewards 🙂

dpr 1 post

After some advice please before I call to cancel next month and see what they offer. I have a gold rewards card and coming to end of my first year. I have 70000 MR points. If they don’t offer anything good can I downgrade to the fee free rewards card?
    Or can I open a fee free one first and transfer points. Many thanks

Rui N. 831 posts

They might or might not let you downgrade.
    You can apply for the free card, but they might reject you.
    I’d first apply and see if they give it to you.
    If you get the free MR card, you can ask for the MR points from both cards to be pooled together.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.