Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Anyone used this with Curve, Ernie, Che, etc yet?

• points_worrier 295 posts

This is of course all wild speculation!

Wild enough that because NS&I was copied in, I have said email and further full correspondence through FOI. Wording involved makes it clear they had read forums (although admittedly not necessarily this one). They threatened to “send the full dossier to HM Treasury (in respect of NS&I) the FCA and the BBC, at least one of whom I am sure will spur you into action if you elect to ignore me.”

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:828f2c83-b3de-3db7-a660-3bb1c8c8e441

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Lady London 2,051 posts

I would warn against publishing this on this website, even with codes.
    The Creation issues were all started by a forum reader emailing the companies involved, and threatening to go to the press/treasury select committee/FCA if the companies did not take action.

No, someone bragged on here about all the MS they’d done one night with details of some of their huge balances about 21.30, I think. JDB said a contact at Creation, probably someone he’s known outside of Creation for a long time, emailed him referring to the particular bragging post (not by a regular poster) on here and saying it was “the straw that broke the camel’s back”. i.e. That post was what made Creation finally decide they’d had enough (I don’t know how to say zis in a French accent).

points_worrier 295 posts

No, someone bragged on here about all the MS they’d done one night with details of some of their huge balances about 21.30, I think. JDB said a contact at Creation, probably someone he’s known outside of Creation for a long time, emailed him referring to the particular bragging post (not by a regular poster) on here and saying it was “the straw that broke the camel’s back”. i.e. That post was what made Creation finally decide they’d had enough (I don’t know how to say zis in a French accent).

This was mentioned in above linked emails:

“All this is clearly already known to each of the organisations on this email and is widely discussed in
    completely public blogs many of which even carry your advertising. I read yesterday of one person recently
    having done this to the tune of £150k in a single month, much to the annoyance of another who had only
    dared to go as far as £70k in a month! Another boasted of a resulting five night stay at the Six Senses Douro
    Valley (an IHG hotel), one of the top hotels in Europe, all funded by [REDACTED] and fintech
    company shareholders. I hope this wonderful perk will soon be provided to ordinary customers, rather than
    just those who are systematically misusing your products and gaming the system.”

Aston100 1,383 posts

Wasn’t it Paul the Destroyer and his tales of millions of pounds worth of MS per annum that proved to be the straw that broke the camels back?

Anyway, we really shouldn’t be talking about this stuff anymore, but there will always be a numpty or two who will keep asking and some other numpty will provide full details, while a bunch of other numpties will continue to say that it doesn’t matter whether its openly discussed or not.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

What on earth could HM Treasury, the FCA or the BBC do about it? Creation not being a UK company was clearly fooled into thinking there was some legal weight behind this threat which was made by someone who needs to get a life!

Rui N. 831 posts

They could stop people with lots of points staying at the same hotel as this person! Can you imagine the horror of doing that, people with points crossing your path?

This has to be one of the more ridiculous people I have had the displeasure of ever hearing about. That these organisations needed such a stupid email to act on this should actually be a reason to complain to the FCA. Either this wasn’t a problem and they should tell this person to bugger off, or if this was such a big deal they needed to have the processes in place to catch it earlier.

Daiboy1980 45 posts

This was mentioned in above linked emails:

“All this is clearly already known to each of the organisations on this email and is widely discussed in
    completely public blogs many of which even carry your advertising. I read yesterday of one person recently
    having done this to the tune of £150k in a single month, much to the annoyance of another who had only
    dared to go as far as £70k in a month! Another boasted of a resulting five night stay at the Six Senses Douro
    Valley (an IHG hotel), one of the top hotels in Europe, all funded by [REDACTED] and fintech
    company shareholders. I hope this wonderful perk will soon be provided to ordinary customers, rather than
    just those who are systematically misusing your products and gaming the system.”

Wouldn’t the card holder require a £225k credit card limit to receive £150k of points?

Rui N. 831 posts

No, you could pay it off mid-cycle as many times as you want (as long as you didn’t put your account into credit).

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

So let me get this right – this person was complaining about something which didn’t affect them, or cause them any personal loss or disadvantage, that was lawful and that Creation was allowing to happen whether or not it was technically against their Ts and Cs? Petty and bitter don’t even begin …

slidey 287 posts

Imagine being such a sad, bitter, pathetic individual that youd go to the hassle of contacting banks to complain about ppl getting free points.

I do have a happy warm feeling knowing how fuming they mustve got about the free SSDV trips tho 😀

However, if this thread is gonna remain, how about the title is changed?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

Suggestion?

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Suggestion?

REDACTED

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

That Of Which We Shall Not Speak

Aston100 1,383 posts

Suggestion?

RIP: Sandy Bendy Bondies for Interconty Pointies?

Steven 80 posts

We don’t talk about Bruno.

Suggestion?

SteveJ 978 posts

Wording involved makes it clear they had read forums (although admittedly not necessarily this one)

Yes it was this emboldened part which I was commenting as wild speculation!

George K 292 posts

Suggestion?

Bendy Besties Bellyache

(all in good spirits!)

Harrier25 852 posts

Have you noticed that since the forum launched the idiots haven’t followed…except me, of course! 😂

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Suggestion?

First rule of fight club…

Lady London 2,051 posts

Suggestion?

First rule of fight club…

Let’s have a category called Room 101. All such threads, or any threads which get hijacked into too many comments of the Fight Club sort, get dropped into Room 101.

Comments in threads in Room 101 can individually be looked at beyond the thread title, or not, but each one is definitely closed to new comments.

Anyone can use Room 101 as a threat if getting oo much, or too much uncoded, on any thread – ie it will be requested to be dropped into Room 101 if this exuberance continues.

SteveJ 978 posts

Wild enough that because NS&I was copied in, I have said email and further full correspondence through FOI. Wording involved makes it clear they had read forums (although admittedly not necessarily this one). They threatened to “send the full dossier to HM Treasury (in respect of NS&I) the FCA and the BBC, at least one of whom I am sure will spur you into action if you elect to ignore me.”

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:828f2c83-b3de-3db7-a660-3bb1c8c8e441

Finally got around to reading all of this. Mr X just comes across as a bully and a bit of a twit, regardless of how moral he may perceive his highground to be. Must be great fun at a party.

Lady London 2,051 posts

Imagine being such a sad, bitter, pathetic individual that youd go to the hassle of contacting banks to complain about ppl getting free points.

I do have a happy warm feeling knowing how fuming they mustve got about the free SSDV trips tho 😀

However, if this thread is gonna remain, how about the title is changed?

Whoever it was should have gone for broke and really upset them by boasting about the wonderful spa treatments they had in SSDV as well.

jek 118 posts

FYI: Revolut top-up is a cash transaction and incurs fees on this card.

Tried it and the fees just came through.

Aston100 1,383 posts

FYI: Revolut top-up is a cash transaction and incurs fees on this card.

Tried it and the fees just came through.

Indeed. At 2.99% by the looks of it.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

I absolutely LOVE this document. No matter how bad a day I have been having, how hollow I might be feeling, how much of my time I feel I may have wasted on a pointless activity, I can read this and get great warmth from knowing that I am not as sad, lonely, bitter and angry as the person who wrote those emails clearly is. Makes me realise I don’t squander my very limited time on this planet so poorly as some do.

Just reading some of this…

“I anticipate reading or hearing complaints from the miscreants within days or otherwise your confirmation that definitive steps have been taken, not just being considered. Failing this, I shall, on Wednesday 1 September send the full dossier to HM Treasury (in respect of NS&I) the FCA and the BBC, at least one of whom I am sure will spur you into action if you elect to ignore me.”

and

I refer to my email of 15 August copied below to which I do not appear to have received the courtesy of an acknowledgement.

You reported on 23 March that you were working with 3rd party suppliers to address the issue. Have you actually done so, or was this just a brush off?

Having not partaken in any of those goings on, the topic never impacted me and continues not to do so. Clearly though, it causes them great upset, even to the people who is spamming. Upset that the “email avenger” be ignored, how dare they?!

I’m off to find the “old man yells at cloud” gif.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.