Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Anyone used this with Curve, Ernie, Che, etc yet?

• BP 48 posts

That comes as no surprise to anyone.

h24821807 55 posts

Applied, took them 2+ weeks to post the card out.
    Called and complain about the fact that I am paying the £20 membership fee for nothing for 2+weeks.
    They credited £25 into my account at the end as a “goodwill gesture and apology”.

By the way, I managed to add my card to my Curve card. Used it, and no problem at all.
    Also, will that attract Avios if I use it via my Curve card?

Thanks,

tomtom135 9 posts

Applied, took them 2+ weeks to post the card out.
    Called and complain about the fact that I am paying the £20 membership fee for nothing for 2+weeks.
    They credited £25 into my account at the end as a “goodwill gesture and apology”.

By the way, I managed to add my card to my Curve card. Used it, and no problem at all.
    Also, will that attract Avios if I use it via my Curve card?

Thanks,

Had the same thing. Took 2 weeks to post the card and then got charged £20 on my first statement despite not being able to use it. Will give them a call too.

As for Curve – it should attract Avios although I can’t verify this personally. I’ve spent over the £3k mostly due to work expenses but some Curve too and haven’t had anything yet to confirm my welcome bonus.

tomtom135 9 posts

Had the same thing. Took 2 weeks to post the card and then got charged £20 on my first statement despite not being able to use it. Will give them a call too.

As for Curve – it should attract Avios although I can’t verify this personally. I’ve spent over the £3k mostly due to work expenses but some Curve too and haven’t had anything yet to confirm my welcome bonus.

BugAlugs 6 posts

Had it for feww weeks, curve fine and card use without error (other than openbanking feed not working) I can see the avios bonus has been triggered on the app when you look at “your rewards” > “view your avios”. I can also see progress along the voucher spend target.

Supergers49 225 posts

(I don’t know how to say zis in a French accent).

‘Allo ‘allo, I was just pissing by zis window!

secretsquirrel 29 posts

I’ve activated the card today online, made an online purchase – all went through fine.
    However, it will not load to curve or PayPal. How long do you wait after the first purchase made until it’s able to load on curve or PayPal?

stevenhp1987 331 posts

I’ve activated the card today online, made an online purchase – all went through fine.
    However, it will not load to curve or PayPal. How long do you wait after the first purchase made until it’s able to load on curve or PayPal?

It’s been mentioned it needs a Chip & Pin transaction first… although mine simply just worked!

Aston100 1,383 posts

I don’t know to the exact minute, but it was less than 2 hours between my first successful direct online transaction with the card alone, and my first transaction with the card behind Curve (there was a Curve authentication required for the Avios card – had to supply some characters from the Barclaycard pending transaction). It may be even quicker in practice as I wasn’t rushing things.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Aston100 1,383 posts

It’s been mentioned it needs a Chip & Pin transaction first… although mine simply just worked!

Yeah this is false, not sure who originally made this claim.
    I have yet to use the card outside of my house.
    But it is working fine for online transactions.

secretsquirrel 29 posts

Also, purchase at JL needing sms number for verification security and sms never turns up?
    Is this the same for anyone else?

Aston100 1,383 posts

Also, purchase at JL needing sms number for verification security and sms never turns up?

As I said on your post on the other thread, you should phone the number on the back of your card. I think the fraud team need to fix something. You can take the opportunity to raise a formal complaint for the £20 fee plus potentially a goodwill gesture to be provided.

dst87 264 posts

I haven’t tried SMS verification, but if you’re in a pinch you could try the app verification. That has worked for me, though iOS app doesn’t actually send a push notification so you have to open the app and tap the bell where you can approve.

secretsquirrel 29 posts

I haven’t tried SMS verification, but if you’re in a pinch you could try the app verification. That has worked for me, though iOS app doesn’t actually send a push notification so you have to open the app and tap the bell where you can approve.

I think it was literally 5 seconds before a red error message appeared stating I had not entered the code so wouldn’t have enough time to click out, open app and tap bell?

willie 22 posts

Anyone tried bending any seagulls with this, yet?

CatchFlightsNotFeelings 34 posts

Im heading away on Friday. New to both Curve and Barclaycard. Is it right if i spend using my Curve card linked to my Barlcaycard i wont have to pay the 2.99% fee that Barclaycard charges on foreign transactions? Do i need to change the currency or anything in the app to dollars or keep it as pounds. Thanks!

NorthernLass 7,571 posts

I don’t use Curve much these days but check whether you get charged extra for using it at weekends.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Im heading away on Friday. New to both Curve and Barclaycard. Is it right if i spend using my Curve card linked to my Barlcaycard i wont have to pay the 2.99% fee that Barclaycard charges on foreign transactions? Do i need to change the currency or anything in the app to dollars or keep it as pounds. Thanks!

You keep the currency as the natural currency of the card you are charging back to. Curve handle the transfer and don’t charge except… there’s a small charge at weekends. Much less than Barclaycard so don’t sweat it, just enjoy the trip.

Aston100 1,383 posts

You keep the currency as the natural currency of the card you are charging back to. Curve handle the transfer and don’t charge except… there’s a small charge at weekends. Much less than Barclaycard so don’t sweat it, just enjoy the trip.

Is the weekend regarded as the day the purchase was made, or the date the transaction was processed? I can imagine something purchased on Friday hitting the card on Saturday perhaps?

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Is the weekend regarded as the day the purchase was made, or the date the transaction was processed? I can imagine something purchased on Friday hitting the card on Saturday perhaps?

I’ve never had a processing delay with Curve. Even when things are slow to go through/show up they back date to the actual transaction date.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Curve converts instantly and charges the underlying card in card currency. You can check the rate immediately in the app. The underlying card might take a day or two settle, but that doesn’t matter.

Aston100 1,383 posts

Thanks Memesweeper and BBB.

AdamM 9 posts

I’ll reserve judgement till there’s more data!

That still doesn’t work for me. I’ve spend £2000 on the card, PIN and touch. It still doesn’t allow me to add it to my curve metal. Just says the card needs to be validated. Then the app crashes.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

Replacement card received this morning, added fine to Curve then target spend hit by using GBIT. Now on Amex chat, cancelling my BAPP.

AdamM 9 posts

As I said on your post on the other thread, you should phone the number on the back of your card. I think the fraud team need to fix something. You can take the opportunity to raise a formal complaint for the £20 fee plus potentially a goodwill gesture to be provided.

I raised a compliant and they told me they could do nothing. No money back for the first month, bearing in mind i got the card sent out on 02 March and only was able to use it on 21 March. Have also lost a month for getting up to the £3000 spend which for me isn’t an issue but it’s principle. Most of the staff you get through to can’t even access your details from the card number.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.