Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards BA’s [upcoming] prepaid Mastercard

• ankomonkey 48 posts

BA’s IT systems are causing problems from what I understand

Wow, we’ve never heard that phrase before… 😉

Have the Squadron Leaders been informed?

Andrew. 482 posts

I have the card, although BA’s IT systems are causing problems from what I understand. There have been issues with registering for the card as well as activating it. As such, I’m still unable to actually use the card…
    It’s very pretty though 🙂
    BA prepaid Mastercard

Looks pretty good, although I think it’d look better with a black background instead of white.

If it had a black background surely Amex would have a meltdown about intellectual property theft?

My First Direct card has been black for 30+ years.

Super Secret Stuff 357 posts

I have the card, although BA’s IT systems are causing problems from what I understand. There have been issues with registering for the card as well as activating it. As such, I’m still unable to actually use the card…
    It’s very pretty though 🙂
    BA prepaid Mastercard

Looks pretty good, although I think it’d look better with a black background instead of white.

If it had a black background surely Amex would have a meltdown about intellectual property theft?

My First Direct card has been black for 30+ years.

I think you’ve taken that a tad too literal, compare the designs. Very similar. E.g. the very distinctive loop and basically offer the same but different BA card. A great opportunity for some lawyers to make money though 🤣

List 26 posts

On updating to the latest iOS Executive club app they have added a button at the bottom for the Mastercard. Is this launching soon Rob?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

On updating to the latest iOS Executive club app they have added a button at the bottom for the Mastercard. Is this launching soon Rob?

Yes. However we’ve been asked not to cover it until mid May whilst any bugs are ironed out.

Youllnever 182 posts

Interesting – for some reason when I click on it, it says “Your card has been cancelled” when I haven’t even got one. 😀

pjrea 10 posts

I’ve signed up to it successfully. Going to Istanbul in May so will have an opportunity to try it out. Will be good while free to use for Avios collection abroad, as there aren’t any non-foreign transaction fee Avios cards in the UK at present? Will have my Chase and Clarity cards as backup.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

It’s a debit card.

You can use it in the UK without restrictions (ie you won’t be closed down) and without any pushback from the issuers (Avios has confirmed this to me). There is a list of places where it can’t be used, eg topping up bank accounts, but that is never comprehensive ….

It’s even a decent option for those who got refused for the Barclaycard. OK, the earn rate on this is worse – and you have a £3 per month fee after six months – but it will work for some.

roger 232 posts

This is availble to apply via BAEC Rewards App.

DrPositiveOne 9 posts

I just applied for the British Airways prepaid MasterCard but just letting your readers know it’s only available for android at the moment thru the British Airways Rewards App. Apply at bottom of app thru Mastercard tap.

Once you’ve applied successfully thru the android app you can just log on your iPhone to use your card as well.

DrPositiveOne 9 posts

I just applied for the British Airways prepaid MasterCard but just letting your readers know it’s only available for android at the moment thru the British Airways Rewards App. Apply at bottom of app thru Mastercard tap.

Once you’ve applied successfully thru the android app you can just log on your iPhone to use your card as well.

Also at the moment you can only activate the card through the android British Airways Reward App.

Froggee 896 posts

I’m surprised Rob hasn’t deleted this thread if it isn’t iOS compatible as it surely lowers the tone of the site and isn’t in keeping with HFP’s core demographic.

DrPositiveOne 9 posts

I just applied for the British Airways prepaid MasterCard but just letting your readers know it’s only available for android at the moment thru the British Airways Rewards App. Apply at bottom of app thru Mastercard

It only works and be activated by android users at moment.

Aston100 1,383 posts

I’m surprised Rob hasn’t deleted this thread if it isn’t iOS compatible as it surely lowers the tone of the site and isn’t in keeping with HFP’s core demographic.

Funny!
    Surprised ‘Android’ hasn’t been added to the naughty words list.

BlueHorizonUK 39 posts

Available on iOS

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

On applying, maximum monthly income bracket is ‘Over £3,000’… definitely not a card pitched at the London investment banking demographic! 😎🚀

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

Also not sure therefore that this card will facilitate anything @MingtheMerciless or @PaultheDestroyer would be interested in 😂

G 32 posts

Barclaycard already facilitates ‘interesting’ routes so why bother with this for 1/3 of the return.
    I guess people have learnt their lesson with the miscreant Mr X, and will keep a lid on it this time

The Urbanite 118 posts

Barclaycard already facilitates ‘interesting’ routes so why bother with this for 1/3 of the return.
    I guess people have learnt their lesson with the miscreant Mr X, and will keep a lid on it this time

Not everybody has, or can get the Barclaycard card, this may be useful in places the Barclaycard isn’t, is it really only a 1/3rd of the return etc…a few reasons.

The low hanging fruit is always going to be broadcasted until it all gets picked, but many methods which never make it into the public domain keep on going.

DrPositiveOne 9 posts

Just letting readers know that you can now apply for the British Airways prepaid Mastercard with the British Airways rewards iOS and Android App respectively. Just hit the MasterCard tab at the bottom of British Airways Rewards App tab in iOS or android.

George K 292 posts

Good to see a 0% forex rewards card, but the monthly fee – albeit small – is a dealbreaker. Barclaycard with Curve works well enough. And how exactly does the ‘prepaid’ element work? Do you have to load it like Revolut?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

I wouldn’t bother applying now without a sign-up bonus unless you’re off travelling in the next week or so ….

danstravel 31 posts

@Rob – so there is a sign up offer coming for this card ?

Would applying for this card incur a credit check?

DrPositiveOne 9 posts

Dan There is no credit check as it’s a prepaid card. I just got mine. There is a sign up bonus of 1500 Avios points within the first three months of preloading and spending £500 on the card.

abrack 12 posts

Wondering if this could be used to pay off Avios Plus Barclaycard…? Either with or without Curve..?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.