Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards BA’s [upcoming] prepaid Mastercard

• ed_fly 201 posts

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the BA pre-paid Mastercard? Looks like it could of use for a big (non-Amex) purchase within the first 6 months, when card is free. 1 Avios per £2, no forex fees, bonus Avios with selected partners. £2.99 per month after first 6 months. 1,500 bonus Avios after a £500 spend in 90 days. I’m wondering if it would work with tax free childcare?

ed_fly 201 posts
    BlueHorizonUK 37 posts

Cant see a signup link anywhere in the app?

ed_fly 201 posts

Cant see a signup link anywhere in the app?

Neither can I!

alig4th 322 posts

Is this a new card? I’ve never heard or seen mention of it before?

FFoxSake 217 posts

Looks like a new product… see this linked-in for the product owner (who has now left for a new job, but it’s a recent project)
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/stuart-leach-68122188

IAG Loyalty
    Squad Leader & Product Owner – B2C Platforms
    Jan 2021 – Sep 2021 9 months
    London, England, United Kingdom
    In my current role I lead three product teams and am responsible for the IAG Loyalty mobile reward app platform (mobile apps for BA, Aer Lingus, Vueling and soon Iberia), the technical development and delivery of the new BA prepaid MasterCard, and the onboard digital portal product offering for BA, Iberia and Vueling aircraft.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Lady London 2,020 posts

Doesn’t look that interesting. Perhaps to the low paid who wouldn’t have access to better offerings who get ripped off for poor value services.

Earning 1 avios per unit of 2 whether pds, dollar, euro. 1500 bonus if you load and spend £500 in 6 months. Or 5. Be careful as on 1st day of 6th months within which your card was active even 1 day in a month, it’s cost is £3 per month from 6th month. But could be only 5 rather than 6, before they take £3 monthly.

Haven’t found yet whether there is a load fee or a weighted exchange rate. But as it’s a Mastercard you are already getting an exchange rate of 0.5% less than bank.

I don’t think they’d really want us as customers because the logical way to interact with this is obvious….

alig4th 322 posts

Doesn’t look that interesting….

I don’t think they’d really want us as customers because the logical way to interact with this is obvious….

I’m not so sure. 0.5 Avios/£ on a £36 a year non-Amex card is pretty good. And with 1,500 sign-up bonus.

Plus, as you suggest, if you don’t partake in the fee-paying periods, then all the better.

Lady London 2,020 posts

The monthly limits (final section) could make this interesting for a short while. But it’s not clear that you’d have all the versatility of uses you might want especially on the outward leg.

It says inward is only from your debit card linked to a bank account. Ahem. Bendy?

alig4th 322 posts

The monthly limits (final section) could make this interesting for a short while…

It says inward is only from your debit card linked to a bank account. Ahem. Bendy?

Yeah, as long as the monthly limits are high enough (thinking this could work for nursery fees once a month).

I suppose the “linked to a bank account” is specifically to stop MS via Bendy. Which can only be a good thing?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

OK, let me tell you about this.

It has been in an internal staff trial at IAG since last Autumn. It is NOT available for the public to get, and may never be. IAG isn’t yet fully happy with it.

That said, I am expecting it to roll out when some tweaks have been made but it won’t be for a few months.

BlueHorizonUK 37 posts

Thanks Rob, strange its advertised on a publicly available webpage.

alig4th 322 posts

Yes, thanks for this info.

Speculating one of the tweaks may end up being a reduced Avios earning rate (0.5/£ seems generous).

memesweeper 1,242 posts

The list of earning excluded transactions include all the most potentially lucrative ones — HMRC, a range of other government functions, and financial institutions. Given I have Curve metal + a decent non-Amex already I can’t see the appeal for me. It might appeal to those people who have missed the boat on a decent non-Amex for daily use, or can’t get/don’t want another credit line, or just don’t want a credit check.

Super Secret Stuff 364 posts

Looks like a new product… see this linked-in for the product owner (who has now left for a new job, but it’s a recent project)
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/stuart-leach-68122188

IAG Loyalty
    Squad Leader & Product Owner – B2C Platforms
    Jan 2021 – Sep 2021 9 months
    London, England, United Kingdom
    In my current role I lead three product teams and am responsible for the IAG Loyalty mobile reward app platform (mobile apps for BA, Aer Lingus, Vueling and soon Iberia), the technical development and delivery of the new BA prepaid MasterCard, and the onboard digital portal product offering for BA, Iberia and Vueling aircraft.

Who on earth has “squad leader” in there job title 🤣

Aston100 1,385 posts

I currently do not have a decent non Amex card.
    This might be an option.

youneedtobeyourself 16 posts

Who on earth has “squad leader” in there job title

I’m hoping they put it in there to filter the correct candidate out “I’d like the job but can you not call me squad leader please”

ChrisBCN 233 posts

It’s really common for modern tech product teams, where you work in dedicated ‘squads’

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    CarpalTravel 362 posts

You’ve obviously not worked much within the Agile arena then. 😉

Lady London 2,020 posts

Yawn. More business bull$hit.

Who on earth has “squad leader” in there job title

I’m hoping they put it in there to filter the correct candidate out “I’d like the job but can you not call me squad leader please”

As a product owner he seems fine but one does question if BA had the sense to put a Project Manager in there.

It’s really common for modern tech product teams, where you work in dedicated ‘squads’

You’ve obviously not worked much within the Agile arena then. 😉

It is literally part of my job and I’m fairly good at it. “squad leader” is not a common term and just makes me think of Subway… There are clearly defined roles in Agile, stick to them. In SCRUM a team is self organizing so having a designated “squad leader” is breaking the system and illogical. Please just NO

flyboy 2 posts

I have the card, although BA’s IT systems are causing problems from what I understand. There have been issues with registering for the card as well as activating it. As such, I’m still unable to actually use the card…
    It’s very pretty though 🙂
    BA prepaid Mastercard

Youllnever 182 posts

I have the card, although BA’s IT systems are causing problems from what I understand. There have been issues with registering for the card as well as activating it. As such, I’m still unable to actually use the card…
    BA prepaid Mastercard

Looks pretty good, although I think it’d look better with a black background instead of white.

BA prepaid Mastercard

Looks pretty good, although I think it’d look better with a black background instead of white.

If it had a black background surely Amex would have a meltdown about intellectual property theft?

FFoxSake 217 posts

BA’s IT systems are causing problems from what I understand

Wow, we’ve never heard that phrase before… 😉

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.