Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express BAPP fee if upgraded part way through year

• tadpolefarm 7 posts

I’m nearing £10k spend on the BA Blue card and want to upgrade to the BAPP before I reach the threshold to earn an enhanced companion voucher.

Will I get charged a full £250 annual card fee for this Cardmembership year? My card year ends in October so I’d assume it wouldn’t be the full amount.

sloth 315 posts

Will be £250

AndyW 10 posts

Yes £250, you are essentially opening a new card so your year starts when you do, you are not paying 250 for the period until October.

AJA 1,071 posts

Yes £250, you are essentially opening a new card so your year starts when you do, you are not paying 250 for the period until October.

I could be wrong, but I thought that your earning year is still the same as it was when you had the free card. It’s just that the £250 fee will be charged out of sync with the earning year.

The only way to align the fee and the earning year is to upgrade very early in the year or cancel entirely and apply fresh for the BAPP.

Luca M 391 posts

I could be wrong, but I thought that your earning year is still the same as it was when you had the free card. It’s just that the £250 fee will be charged out of sync with the earning year.

The only way to align the fee and the earning year is to upgrade very early in the year or cancel entirely and apply fresh for the BAPP.

You are right, the voucher earning year stays the same but the fee paying year is set from the time of the upgrade. Myself I have the fee paying year coming in September, but the voucher earning year resetting at the end of February, the date the Blu card was opened over 20 years ago…

tadpolefarm 7 posts

Thanks Luca M that answers my question perfectly.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.