Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Barclaycard Avios Plus holder – the ‘signing up for Barclays Premier’ thread

• Scottpat78 245 posts

I’m still waiting too. I go back into the app and it still says identity verification in progress or something like that.

Whisper2 44 posts

Player 2 applied 2 weeks ago. Failed ID check in app and eventually got it done in the branch after 3 visits. What told she would be contacted when to proceed.
    She got a letter at the weekend to say

“We have considered your application carefully and it does not meet the banks needs.”

AFKAE 145 posts

I got the Barclaycard Avios plus and that all worked OK. Then I tried for the Premier banking (although I don’t meet the income standard and didn’t want to transfer £100K to Barclays-kinda hoping I could get away with paying £12/month until the bonus hit).

Failed the in app ID checks and took that as sufficient incentive not to bother with branch checks!

RonnieB 288 posts

How come the main forums for the 100000 avios are closed to comments, I’d have hoped they’d stay open until end of November as people seem to be having great difficulty with this offer. Personally I’m not going to apply until I know it works so it would be good to keep hearing of peoples’ experiences in one place

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

I signed up for the premier account, enrolled in avios rewards and initiated switching of an old account.
    So far I received the debit card and app works fine, but no email or notification for avios rewards or the switch. I don’t see money deducted for the avios rewards. How many days does it take for an update?

iaink 17 posts

Do joint Barclays Premier accounts count?

Has anyone answered this or know the answer? If Barclaycard is in one person’s name, then you open a joint Premier account, does that count?

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

but no email or notification for avios rewards or the switch.

I’ll take back my comments. All documents were available on the mobile app.

paul68 2 posts

– I was already an Avios plus credit card holder
    – I managed to sign up for Barclays premier eventually (had to use the browser link as per Rob’s post as the barclaycard App didn’t show the current account product)
    – The Barclaycard App refused to display the Premier current account, so I de-registered and swapped to the Barclays App
    – I’ve switched to paperless comms via the Barclays App
    – I’ve initiated the full switch of current account

I’m now stuck trying to enrol for Avios rewards via the Barclays App. There is an option for both Avios rewards and Blue rewards…but when you click Avios Rewards the App consistently fails with “AV006 this service isn’t available…”
    I’ve registered the Barclays app, and downloaded/reinstated it but still same error.

I need to do this for the Avios 100k offer, but it seems that there is no way to successfully achieve this for me !
    Any ideas anyone ?

Angelamc11 195 posts

– I managed to sign up for Barclays premier eventually (had to use the browser link as per Rob’s post as the barclaycard App didn’t show the current account product)
    – The Barclaycard App refused to display the Premier current account, so I de-registered and swapped to the Barclays App

I’m now stuck trying to enrol for Avios rewards via the Barclays App. There is an option for both Avios rewards and Blue rewards…but when you click Avios Rewards the App consistently fails with “AV006 this service isn’t available…”
    I’ve registered the Barclays app, and downloaded/reinstated it but still same error.

I need to do this for the Avios 100k offer, but it seems that there is no way to successfully achieve this for me !
    Any ideas anyone ?

I had the same issue and code. I made an appointment to go in branch and sort it out. It transpired I had two account numbers which they merged and then everything worked fine and I registered for avios rewards.

duggie1982 261 posts

Any ideas anyone ?

I had the same issue and code. I made an appointment to go in branch and sort it out. It transpired I had two account numbers which they merged and then everything worked fine and I registered for avios rewards.

Had the same issue (if its the link that has a picture of a visa card above)and could not get the link to work so i went the long way and go to products>collect avios> then scroll down to Barclays Avios rewards, then lets me go from there. Btw, can do it on both apps but it did take about a week from opening the bank account for all of the app to ‘open up’ for me, saved me a call or a visit but was very frustrating having to wait at the time

Hope this helps

Scottpat78 245 posts

My update:
    Finally got the app to progress my application and it progressed to an identity check and gave me a ref number.

I booked an appointment at my closest branch for today but this was ‘Barclays Local’ and they called me today to say they couldn’t progress an identity check as they weren’t setup for it. They advised me to walk in to another branch so I headed down to Sheffield and was seen in 10 mins and sorted in 10.

As I had an Avios Plus card, they actually didn’t do an identity check – they linked my Premier account customer profile to my existing Avios Plus customer profile and that sorted it.

I’m now fully open with a Premier account, and I had to set back up the BarclayCard app for the short term. Apparently my BarclayCard will appear in my Barclays app in 4 days! I’ve lost my Corporate BarclayCard in my BarclayCard app but apparently that should reappear ‘in a few days’.

I’m open, and going to do the switch in a bit from my Monzo account shortly. Hopefully the apps sort themselves out in the next few days. Going to look at the rewards stuff shortly too to sort out.

HughM 70 posts

I’ve been using the free Barclay Avios card without an app since it opened (also running the free Virgin Atlantic card on paper since website closed).
    I’ll do many things for 125,000 free Avios, but am not looking to pile on the apps (just got rid of
    Curve, but still run 6 bank accounts via my mobile phone – confusing enough).

From past switches, I have found high street banks are still geared to new account holder(s) popping in for a half-hour appointment. Can I not upgrade my card and arrange the account switch to Barclays premier, all in the branch?

martint66 1 post

I feel like I am being extremely stupid here. I have the Barclaycard Avios Plus, but when I open the Barclays app (not the Barclaycard app) I see no option to apply Barclays Premier. The only Products it highlights to me are Loans, Insurance and Barclaycard.

Hopefully there is something obvious someone can point me to.

Scottpat78 245 posts

App now fully setup and I have my Premier account, BC Avios Plus and my Corporate card all operational again.

I’m trying to do a switch within the app to switch my Monzo account to Barclays. Every time I select this, then click in the sort code or account number fields I get a ‘Sorry we encountered a problem’ error message even before I type anything. Takes me back to the start of the process.

Anyone else seen this and had a solution? Tried the usual force quitting etc. Been like this for 3 days now.

duggie1982 261 posts

I feel like I am being extremely stupid here. I have the Barclaycard Avios Plus, but when I open the Barclays app (not the Barclaycard app) I see no option to apply Barclays Premier. The only Products it highlights to me are Loans, Insurance and Barclaycard.

Hopefully there is something obvious someone can point me to.

I had an issue like that took me ages to find the work around, i had find it online saying i wanted to apply for the account with no mobile number then it takes you to a page online to do the application (with a mobile number of course). Would not show on my app to be able to apply even though they direct you there. Hope that helps as it took me days lol

duggie1982 261 posts

App now fully setup and I have my Premier account, BC Avios Plus and my Corporate card all operational again.

I’m trying to do a switch within the app to switch my Monzo account to Barclays. Every time I select this, then click in the sort code or account number fields I get a ‘Sorry we encountered a problem’ error message even before I type anything. Takes me back to the start of the process.

Anyone else seen this and had a solution? Tried the usual force quitting etc. Been like this for 3 days now.

I have had loads of probs with barclays recently, changing to from safari to chrome or edge helped with those type of hiccups

dirtyneedlebluesky 3 posts

I got through the ID checks eventually a couple of weeks ago.

I’m now stuck in a loop as no matter what I do regarding the FSCS agreement (agree / download then agree) the app crashes and I’ve got to do it all again.

Hopefully finally have time to call them tomorrow.

paul68 2 posts

Any ideas anyone ?

Had the same issue (if its the link that has a picture of a visa card above)and could not get the link to work so i went the long way and go to products>collect avios> then scroll down to Barclays Avios rewards, then lets me go from there. Btw, can do it on both apps but it did take about a week from opening the bank account for all of the app to ‘open up’ for me, saved me a call or a visit but was very frustrating having to wait at the time

Hope this helps

thanks for the tip….It worked when went via Products !

kebl2555 29 posts

@Rob, there were a few questions and scenarios which you were going to clarify with Barclays. Just wanted to check when those answers might be posted? I don’t want to take any action until then.

notenoughmiles 30 posts

@Rob, there were a few questions and scenarios which you were going to clarify with Barclays. Just wanted to check when those answers might be posted? I don’t want to take any action until then.

Exactly the same situation. I’m not in a position to move my salary into the Premier account and the Bank transfers in/out will also be a pain to do at the moment so mainly waiting for clarification if I can just keep the Premier account without meeting the income deposit requirement (happy to pay the monthly ‘penalty’).

duggie1982 261 posts

Exactly the same situation. I’m not in a position to move my salary into the Premier account and the Bank transfers in/out will also be a pain to do at the moment so mainly waiting for clarification if I can just keep the Premier account without meeting the income deposit requirement (happy to pay the monthly ‘penalty’).

For new accounts you get it free for 12 months, after that they look at the income to account and then apply a fee each month going forward if you do not meet the monthly deposit requirement

dunmol 7 posts

I have the exact same problem, Barclays told me to go to a branch, i can’t be bothered. I’m just going to transfer in 4K a month from my old account , take the 100K and forget the extra 25k for switching.

kaconym 22 posts

I have the exact same problem, Barclays told me to go to a branch, i can’t be bothered. I’m just going to transfer in 4K a month from my old account , take the 100K and forget the extra 25k for switching.

I had the same issue, after ages I managed to work it out, you have to be very careful to tap right at the start of each field. Where the cursor would appear to start typing, if you clixk slightly outside the field or further along the field (e.g the middle of the field) you’ll get the error.

I failed about 25 times before it finally worked once, so maybe just luck but that’s what finally did it for me. Either way been very unimpressed with Barclays tech during the application process and the small amount of time I’ve been using their app.

JDB 4,341 posts

Barclays IT isn’t too impressive but it’s probably no better or worse than other legacy banks. Like legacy airlines they suffer from ancient systems, different systems in sprawling organisations that once each had their own systems and integrating acquisitions etc. None dare a big bang rebuild after the TSB fiasco. There’s a new company called 10x founded by a smart ex Barclays guy that’s trying to resolve this issue in banking and other sectors with a novel approach. If it works it would be a serious result.

squawk7700 83 posts

Wondering if anyone else is in my specific boat.

I have the Barclaycard Avios Plus, but no current account. I’d like to sign up for Premier for the 100K Avios (if I understand correcntly, I can probably take the 100K Avios just by keeping the account open for 4 months, I don’t actually need to complete the switch).

Anyhow, I am also a Barclays mortgage customer. And so every time I try to apply for Premier, it re-directs me to online banking or the app (as I’m already a customer) and once logged in I have zero option to open a new current account.

Has anyone else that tried also happened to be a Barclays mortgage customer? I just tried setting up a telephone callback but even there the IT failed on me and said “feature unavailable”. Running out of ideas!

Wondering whether to just tick the “new customer” boxes and open an account fresh, but worried that’ll also cause me a headache down the line.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.