Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Barclaycard Avios Plus holder – the ‘signing up for Barclays Premier’ thread

• Reney 768 posts

Can someone tell me where on earth in the Barclays app (I believe the instructions is Barclays app not the Barclaycard app) is the bit to sign on to the current account?

bakayaro 6 posts

Can someone tell me where on earth in the Barclays app (I believe the instructions is Barclays app not the Barclaycard app) is the bit to sign on to the current account?

In the Barclays app click on I’m new to Barclays, then select apply for personal account and then swipe for Premier Banking.

Luca M 391 posts

Just caught up on this thread, and I was really surprised many were really not familiar with the concept of “donor” account and instead went straight into thinking they need to switch their main HSBC Premier account for this offer..

I have had Barclays Premier for years, automatically upgraded when my salary hit the eligibility criteria. I also have around 8 other bank accounts, and with some banks, multiple accounts just for the purpose of switch incentives (this is where reading financial minded forums rather than only travel rewards ones helps). So when HSBC launched the World Elite Cc and I wanted to get it, I simply set up two direct debits on one of my extra donor account, and initiated the switch from this account to HSBC Premier. I had to then book an appointment in branch to show proof of earning, from which I walked away with an open HSBC Premier account with free Travel Insurance and the approved World Elite Credit Card application. I did moved my salary payment to HSBC, but i since Spend less then 5 minutes a month, from the comfort of my sofa, and all via mobile apps, transferring my entire salary between all my main bank accounts, so that I keep the eligibility criteria with the various rewards and perks of the other bank accounts, including Barclays Premier (You can obviously do the way around and use Barclays as main account but keeping HSBC on the background, obviously having to then move manually then bulk of DD etc, but if not, just “circling” your salary moved to Barclays back to HSBC and keep your banking with them.

You really do not need to close your HSBC Premier account to switch one to Barclays Premier!

I have also opened and switched away from Monzo in the past, as I would never want to apply again to it. Lloyds, TSB, RBS/NatWest are amongst the easier Bank to open multiple current accounts with.

ekposh 190 posts

So, have I got this right? I don’t really want to do a full switch, mainly because I like what I have.

But I want the 25k. Are we saying I can set up a single DD say on a Monzo account and do a full switch of that? And nobody questions it?

Also do they then close the Monzo account? (don’t want that)

And finally, I assume they will expect my salary paying in to Barclays? Or do I just not worry about it for 12 months?

VerdantBacon 141 posts

So, have I got this right? I don’t really want to do a full switch, mainly because I like what I have.

But I want the 25k. Are we saying I can set up a single DD say on a Monzo account and do a full switch of that? And nobody questions it?

And finally, I assume they will expect my salary paying in to Barclays? Or do I just not worry about it for 12 months?

Switch the Monzo, old account gets closed when using the switching service. You don’t need your salary to be paid in, you just need £3,300 per month to land in the bank account. Easiest would be to just set up a standing order

ekposh 190 posts

Thanks. Very useful.

Luca M 391 posts

I believe that to qualify for the bonus Avios you need to use the CASS switch (which involve moving all paying in as well as regular payments out automatically to the new account and then close the old one).

I do not find Monzo particularly attractive, I see a lot of kids with it, Chase has many of the same things and it is better for USA travellers (which I often do). So for me opening an account with them was purely for using it later as a “donor” account for a switch incentive. If you have an account with any of the main retail banks, it should be fairly easy to open a second current account for the sole purpose of switching.. I have not familiarise myself fully with the Barclays Avios offer and t&c around switches but previous Barclays switching offers required for the account being switched via CASS, to have at least two DD, which I always manage to do by moving two of my CC DD from another account, prior to the switch.

Travel Strong 258 posts

I got through the ID checks eventually a couple of weeks ago.

I’m now stuck in a loop as no matter what I do regarding the FSCS agreement (agree / download then agree) the app crashes and I’ve got to do it all again.

Hopefully finally have time to call them tomorrow.

@dirtyneedlebluesky
    I have the same issue this morning, did you reach resolution?

10 Login with Pin
    20 Step 3) Account Opening
    30 Agree FSCS terms
    40 PRINT Barclays logo
    50 RETURN 10

Travel Strong 258 posts

Well I tried reinstalling the app and now I have no references to start from and only option would be to start over… no doubt creating a duplicate profile and further problems. What a frustrating ‘offer’.

Pete 4 posts

Same issue here. Have tried a reinstall of the app and restarted the application process and get the same behaviour again. App crashes after the FSCS page

I got through the ID checks eventually a couple of weeks ago.

I’m now stuck in a loop as no matter what I do regarding the FSCS agreement (agree / download then agree) the app crashes and I’ve got to do it all again.

Hopefully finally have time to call them tomorrow.

@dirtyneedlebluesky
    I have the same issue this morning, did you reach resolution?

10 Login with Pin
    20 Step 3) Account Opening
    30 Agree FSCS terms
    40 PRINT Barclays logo
    50 RETURN 10

cmcp 36 posts

^ Same

Finally got to apply over the app, now stuck in some weird login loop at the FSCS final stage.

cmcp 36 posts

Just off the phone to Barclays Premier, at first they tried to get me to do the usual “user error” type stuff (do you have enough memory on your phone etc etc), then she said I could try applying over web. When I explained I had already submitted my drivers license on a live application and I didn’t want to risk multiple applications, she finally said “TBH, we sometimes do work on the systems over the weekend so the best I could suggest with everything you’ve said is to hold off til tomorrow, try again, then call back if it still doesn’t work.”

She was fairly friendly, if a bit uninformed. Wait time just over 5 mins.

iaink 17 posts

Just off the phone to Barclays Premier, at first they tried to get me to do the usual “user error” type stuff (do you have enough memory on your phone etc etc), then she said I could try applying over web. When I explained I had already submitted my drivers license on a live application and I didn’t want to risk multiple applications, she finally said “TBH, we sometimes do work on the systems over the weekend so the best I could suggest with everything you’ve said is to hold off til tomorrow, try again, then call back if it still doesn’t work.”

Maybe something in the water this weekend as I am getting the same issue. Will try again tomorrow and then check in here to see if anyone else has had any joy!

Travel Strong 258 posts

It was over a week ago that this problem was first posted on the thread, so I am not hopeful on this being a weekend special.

duggie1982 263 posts

Im going to switch with my Lloyds account i just opened and used already for their account opening £150 offer (from a Santander basic account i opened the week prior) Barclays dont mention anything about direct debits having to move over (nearer did Lloyds) so i am not setting any up prior to transferring via CASS

iaink 17 posts

Maybe something in the water this weekend as I am getting the same issue. Will try again tomorrow and then check in here to see if anyone else has had any joy!

Success! there’s an update to the app dated 9th Nov. Updated to that and got past the crash and account is approved

squawk7700 83 posts

I’m logged in to Barclays as a mortgage customer and can’t find any option to sign up for Premier. I’ve tried the online form and that eventually leads to an error code.

Any ideas?!

Their customer “journey” is atrocious.

cmcp 36 posts

Success! there’s an update to the app dated 9th Nov. Updated to that and got past the crash and account is approved

Awesome! This worked! Barclays contact centre were useless. Called up earlier this evening and they said to call back tomorrow. Thank you Squawk7700!

iaink 17 posts

Having now got my account approved, and was able to pay some money into it last night, this morning the app just crashes every time I try to log in! Also I have not received a single email from them, not even to confirm my email address, or acknowledge my account is open, is that normal?

jj 520 posts

Unbelievably, it’s already too late to apply for this.

I tried online last week. New current accounts need a branch visit to prove identity, a process that takes an hour or more. My branch has no appointments free until December, and they have confirmed that will mean I miss the deadline for the offer.

I can apparently take my chances by trying to turn up at the branch at a quiet time. But I will probably have to wait at least an hour in addition to the hour for the interview, and may be turned away. I don’t have two hours free during the working day until December myself, so I will stay with my current bank.

Barclays closed my local branch about 6 months ago. It seems their capacity planning isn’t up to much. I’m not sure I actually want to switch to a bank with such poor customer service, in any case – regardless of the offer of 125,000 Avios

JDB 4,379 posts

@jj I and many others have applied for the Premier account without needing to visit a branch. It’s not quite instant – took about 3-4 minutes for the online opening with A/C No and sort code, all immediately usable. That is the default. They only require a branch visit if for some reason they can’t verify all your details electronically. This is sometimes because the applicant has put a blocker so Barclays can’t access your electoral register data, address or ID etc.

jj 520 posts

Was that a joint account, @JDB? I’ve never failed electronic ID before, but I seem to recall seeing a message during the application process that joint accounts couldn’t be processed online. The assistant I spoke to in the branch seemed to think that was the reason, too.

Dave1234 26 posts

Yawn

I applied for the premier account yesterday. Suspected something was up as it didn’t appear in the Barclaycard app.

I’ve been told today that I’ve got 2 profiles because the names are different. The only difference is an initial for my second middle name example:

‘Dave Lee Travis’ on the barclaycard vs ‘Dave Lee M Travis’ on the premier account. Weirdly when i took out the barclaycard they had my second middle name but at some point they’ve removed this from their systems.

Customer services have told me there is no alternative but to go to the branch with my ID to resolve this. Its not possible for me to get there by 30/11.

As it stands i’ve got a bank account and credit card i didn’t want without the bonus. I’ll be closing both down now as I cannot be bothered wasting my time on this any longer.

Be careful about what name you put on the application i guess. I perhaps foolishly thought, putting the name as it appears on my ID, as suggested, was the right thing to do.

JDB 4,379 posts

Was that a joint account, @JDB? I’ve never failed electronic ID before, but I seem to recall seeing a message during the application process that joint accounts couldn’t be processed online. The assistant I spoke to in the branch seemed to think that was the reason, too.

No, it was for a sole account, but I am fairly sure others have also reported opening joint accounts entirely online. The number of people being required to go to branches seems relatively low but unfortunately as they have closed so many branches and those that exist are understaffed it is problematic.

VerdantBacon 141 posts

Having now got my account approved, and was able to pay some money into it last night, this morning the app just crashes every time I try to log in! Also I have not received a single email from them, not even to confirm my email address, or acknowledge my account is open, is that normal?

I was approved last week and still have not received an email from them about anything!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.