Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Barclaycard Avios Plus holder – the ‘signing up for Barclays Premier’ thread

• jj 520 posts

Unbelievably, it’s already too late to apply for this.

I tried online last week. New current accounts need a branch visit to prove identity, a process that takes an hour or more. My branch has no appointments free until December, and they have confirmed that will mean I miss the deadline for the offer.

Update: A call to the Premier phone line was a different experience from turning up in the branch, and an appointment has miraculously appeared next week. I’ll see how I get on.

Carlos 758 posts

How long does the pin letter take to come? I have everything else ready but cannot register in the app yet..

Travel Strong 258 posts

@jj I and many others have applied for the Premier account without needing to visit a branch. It’s not quite instant – took about 3-4 minutes for the online opening with A/C No and sort code, all immediately usable. That is the default. They only require a branch visit if for some reason they can’t verify all your details electronically. This is sometimes because the applicant has put a blocker so Barclays can’t access your electoral register data, address or ID etc.

Or because the app is trash and got stuck in a FCSC loop, and/or you then you got a duplicate profile when trying to resolve it.

Branch appointments near me being offered mid-december to resolve (when my ID was already verified). Will try premier line and turning up in the branch. It is shoddy.

ClubSmed 174 posts

Has anyone had any experience where they have successfully opened the Premier account but have not been able to change the Barclaycard to Avios Plus?
    That is the situation I am currently in. I had a Barclaycard Platinum credit card already, and have not got over the hurdle of opening a Pemier Account (did it via video chat as no availability in branch). However the app is not showing Avios Plus as a option for me to change to from my Platinum, it is only showing the standard Avios credit card.
    I do not want to have gone through all this and still not get the incentive offered.
    If anyone has experienced the same and managed to solve it, I would love to hear how.

squawk7700 83 posts

Managed to sign up for new Premier Account and switched on Avios Rewards. But how do I link up my Avios Plus Credit Card (which I have the separate Barclaycard app for)…?

Or is the simple fact that I’m a new Premier customer and signed up to Avios rewards by itself enough to collect the 100K bonus?

The way I read the T&C’s suggests I only need to switch current accounts to gain the further 25K Avios, which I can’t be bothered for…

Stevie M 8 posts

How long does the pin letter take to come? I have everything else ready but cannot register in the app yet..

My PIN letter took almost two weeks to come, but I’d managed to get it off online banking a few days before. Assuming you’ve received the 5-digit online banking passcode in the post and managed to register for online banking, there’s a “View debit card PIN” option in the Manage accounts menu. I was half expecting a Catch-22 situation where they required you to verify your identity with PIN Sentry before showing you the PIN, but it just needed the CVV off the card and a texted code.

Carlos 758 posts

Sorry I mean the PIN for the Premier current account. I have the 5 digit telephone password but dont imagine that being much help

Stevie M 8 posts

@Carlos, your debit card PIN so you can use the PIN sentry device to register for the app? You can see that online by logging onto online banking (via barclays.co.uk through your desktop browser, which has different login procedures to the app).

You should have received a 5-digit online banking passcode, which is different to the 5-digit telephone banking passcode but in the same peel-off tab format. You’ll need the online passcode to register for online banking, and once logged in, you should hopefully be able to view your debit card PIN through the Manage accounts menu.

iaink 17 posts

@Carlos, your debit card PIN so you can use the PIN sentry device to register for the app? You can see that online by logging onto online banking (via barclays.co.uk through your desktop browser, which has different login procedures to the app).

You should have received a 5-digit online banking passcode, which is different to the 5-digit telephone banking passcode but in the same peel-off tab format. You’ll need the online passcode to register for online banking, and once logged in, you should hopefully be able to view your debit card PIN through the Manage accounts menu.

@stevie
    M when did the online banking code arrive? My debit card arrived today but you either need the online code or the card PIN to register, before you can get into either the app or online banking.

I think if Barclays invested in these promotions in order to get more customers it’s proving to be counter productive. I will never go near them again as soon as this is all sorted!

Travel Strong 258 posts

Took 1hr and a trip to town but got an appointment and successful account set-up by going to a branch.

Interestingly I had *3* profiles.
    – the failed App one (FCSC loop)
    – the browser one
    – *one for the barclaycard!*

I suspect the application may not generated duplicate profiles if I had instead:
    – only used the Barclays app and not the Barclaycard app
    – logged in to the Barclays app via my barclaycard
    – applied from within that profile

All fine now.
    … just need to get me name changed with starling before switching because Barclays can’t accept the number of characters in my actual name! 😂

Stevie M 8 posts

@iaink, I got it on the same day as the card, which was 3 or 4 working days from application, so hopefully yours will come tomorrow or Monday if the card just arrived today.

I have to agree about how offputting this whole process has been. It was my intention to use Barclays as my main account, but from the issues others have reported, I’ve decided to just switch in an old current account I no longer use and keep my main account elsewhere. They simply can’t rely so heavily on a branch network they’re continually gutting and expect to retain customers. Having to visit a branch to sort out issues with online banking is just ludicrous.

Reeferman 35 posts

Well I had my branch appointment for ID verification today:
    – Was kept waiting 20 mins. No apologies
    – Sat down and gave my reference number etc. Was then asked what I wanted – the person had no idea why I was there!
    – The bank’s system/lap-top crashed part-way thru the process. Had to start again
    – Completed the ID paperwork and reloaded the app – ID verification failed again!
    – Barclays Bank app would not work – had to be deleted, but ……
    – Bqrclaycard app did allow for the Barclays Bank accounts to be shown. Success!

Hopefully all now goes smoothly smoothly (particularly the account switch) and, in 4 months time, the 100,000 AVIOS (and the 25,000 AVIOS for the switch) all turn-up!

Carlos 758 posts

Is there a fix for the AV006 error?
    Trying to activate Avios Rewards but it says
    Sorry – this service isn’t available right now. Please try again later

I have been trying all day and CS live agent claims this is not even a valid error code!

Shocking

Grant 108 posts

I think I have now managed to complete the process of opening a Premier Account, initiating a switch from a donor account and signing up for Avios Rewards. The only thing I can’t seem to do is add my Avios plus card to the Barclays app, it is still managed through the separate Barclaycard app. Will this be a problem come bonus time?

Angelamc11 195 posts

I have been trying all day and CS live agent claims this is not even a valid error code!

Shocking

I had to get a branch appointment to sort this error. For me, it meant I had 2 profiles. The day after the appointment my account was locked instead of being fixed. This was followed by another branch visit, which rectified everything. £50 compensation given for the inconvenience.

Grant 108 posts

Shocking

Keep persisting, it will eventually work. I found I needed to wait a day or two after opening the account initially before all the steps were available / worked without errors

Wally1976 188 posts

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere but I already have a basic Barclays bank account and want to upgrade it to the Premier current account. Do I just go through the ‘Apply’ process in the app (there doesn’t seem to be an ‘upgrade’ option)?

TIA.

Luca M 391 posts

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere but I already have a basic Barclays bank account and want to upgrade it to the Premier current account. Do I just go through the ‘Apply’ process in the app (there doesn’t seem to be an ‘upgrade’ option)?

TIA.

Under product you should have a premier icon, in there your should find the route to upgrade/apply.

I have been a premier for years so I can only see apply for an account if I want to open an additional account

Wally1976 188 posts

Under product you should have a premier icon, in there your should find the route to upgrade/apply.

I have been a premier for years so I can only see apply for an account if I want to open an additional account

Ah yes, I can see that thank you :-).

I presume switching in another current account will not get me the additional 25k Avios as I’m already a Barclays current account customer? (Worth a try??)

Carlos 758 posts

Shocking

Keep persisting, it will eventually work. I found I needed to wait a day or two after opening the account initially before all the steps were available / worked without errors

Thanks trying on day two will let you know if it works by tomorrow

duggie1982 263 posts

Ah yes, I can see that thank you :-).

I presume switching in another current account will not get me the additional 25k Avios as I’m already a Barclays current account customer? (Worth a try??)

I think you will as the terms say if you upgrade the bank account to the avios rewards within 4 months of upgrading to premier account

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/content/dam/barclaycard/documents/personal/existing-customers/avios-100k-t-and-c.pdf

billyrayvalentine 25 posts

Does anyone know: if I already hold a Barclaycard platinum can I apply for the avios card?

Reluctant to lose it as I have a couple of thousands at 0% on it and had the card for over 20 years so helps with credit.

Luca M 391 posts

Does anyone know: if I already hold a Barclaycard platinum can I apply for the avios card?

Reluctant to lose it as I have a couple of thousands at 0% on it and had the card for over 20 years so helps with credit.

Sure! From the Barclays App, you tap on the “cards” blue round icon, scroll sideways until it shows your Barclaycard Platinum (assuming you have more then one Barclays product with related card), once it show the card in question, scroll down to “Change to a different card”, then follow the route and it should show you what options are available to you. My wife had to very old Platinum account and had the options to change to Rewards, Avios and Avios Plus.

However, some people are reporting that either e there is no option to change or that the options are limited or not including Avios Plus.

As a separate note, it has been possible to change product but retain the same account on Barclaycard for as long as I remember… I initially open what was then a standard Barclays as a university student with a part time job back in the late ‘90’s, I then changed to Gold when that came along and then Platinum again. Later on, when Barclaycard consolidated their cashback cards (from all previous acquisitions) into the Black Amex/visa duo, managed to swap to that. On my credit report, that account still show as opened in the late ‘90’s.

Edit to add: not sure how it works now with spending on a card that has also a balance transfer offer on it, as i generally do not like to mix the two, but if not possible (risk of paying interest on balance transferred) I would clear it as you can also get an additional 5000 Avios for spending £3k in the first 3 months once you do the product change.

qc 207 posts

I’m confused on whether we will get the 100k bonus Avios

This is our situation –

We both have the Barclays Premium Avios credit card
    We don’t earn £75k
    We do have £100k in savings

My questions are –
    1) do we have to put the £100k in a Barclays account which we don’t want to do as we’re getting a better rate elsewhere?
    2)can we both go for this offer if we pass the £100k test?

VerdantBacon 141 posts

I’m confused on whether we will get the 100k bonus Avios

This is our situation –

We both have the Barclays Premium Avios credit card
    We don’t earn £75k
    We do have £100k in savings

My questions are –
    1) do we have to put the £100k in a Barclays account which we don’t want to do as we’re getting a better rate elsewhere?
    2)can we both go for this offer if we pass the £100k test?

As mentioned in several articles and in the Premier banking requirements-

To join and remain eligible for Premier Banking you need to have an income of £75,000 or more paid into a Barclays current account or at least £100,000 invested with Barclays. T&Cs apply.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.