Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Barclaycard closing my account – anyone else?

• charles 15 posts

I have just received a letter from Barclaycard saying that they want to close my partner’s Avios Plus Card.

It says “Your Barclaycard account will close on 30th May 2022

We’re getting in touch because we’re going to close your account on 30th May 2022. This letter gives you 60 days’ notice that we’re going to do it”

Has anyone else received this?

I have just spent around £3.3k on the card so far and the SUB has already been posted to BAEC.

Steven 80 posts

Possibly failed to provide proof of income within requested timeframe? Hopefully not anything related to Curve.

NorthernLass 7,481 posts

Didn’t someone get the same letter for their HH card recently? Sounds very odd and random.

PeteM 714 posts

If it was linked to using Curve that would really take the… Given that the only way for me to use this card online is via Curve (as the 2FA still doesn’t work directly)!

charles 15 posts

Possibly failed to provide proof of income within requested timeframe? Hopefully not anything related to Curve.

I did not receive any email/letter asking for the proof of income though.

I did have 2 transactions through bendy but I have also used it many times directly in supermarkets, restaurants, hotels and petrol stations.

Youllnever 182 posts

Has anything changed on your credit report?

Steven 80 posts

The transactions through Curve all above board?

I did not receive any email/letter asking for the proof of income though.

I did have 2 transactions through bendy but I have also used it many times directly in supermarkets, restaurants, hotels and petrol stations.

Gary_Dexter 130 posts

They (and any other lender for that matter) can close your accounts without reason/explanation and also no notice.

NorthernLass 7,481 posts

Of course they have to give notice if it’s in their Ts and Cs (and I’m sure consumer law requires it anyway) – even Creation did that!

Steven 80 posts

Yes, but very odd to do so for an account that has just newly been opened.

Gary_Dexter 130 posts

Of course they have to give notice if it’s in their Ts and Cs (and I’m sure consumer law requires it anyway) – even Creation did that!

Not if there suspected fraudulent activity. It can be immediately closed.

NorthernLass 7,481 posts

There’s not been any mention of fraudulent activity. OP’s partner has been given 60 days’ notice – not sure what your point is?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

Very weird. Not seen any other reports on this and Curve has happily worked with the Hilton card.

Ryanfozzie 26 posts

Using my with Curve for everyday spend as well as Curve Fronted transactions. No letter received yet, so not sure it is Curve related? I assume when questioned they could not provide any info as to why?

Sounds like the income verification checks were not submitted?

Steven 80 posts

Using my with Curve for everyday spend as well as Curve Fronted transactions. No letter received yet, so not sure it is Curve related? I assume when questioned they could not provide any info as to why?

Sounds like the income verification checks were not submitted?

It did say when I got my income verification request that my account would be closed within 45 days if not provided, which is why I asked the first question about income verification.

If OP is self employed and hasn’t uploaded any income evidence, then this may be the issue.

Gary_Dexter 130 posts

There’s not been any mention of fraudulent activity. OP’s partner has been given 60 days’ notice – not sure what your point is?

My point is (again) is that they don’t have to give a reason why or any notice period.

Move on and get another account elsewhere would be the best advice.

NorthernLass 7,481 posts

But they do have to give notice – unless they suspect fraud. And the fact that 60 days’ notice was given as per the Ts and Cs, suggests that this isn’t the case. But what I can’t understand is why the OP’s partner didn’t get straight on to Barclay’s to find out the reason!

JDB 4,345 posts

But they do have to give notice – unless they suspect fraud. And the fact that 60 days’ notice was given as per the Ts and Cs, suggests that this isn’t the case. But what I can’t understand is why the OP’s partner didn’t get straight on to Barclay’s to find out the reason!

It is not limited to suspected fraud – a serious or regular breach of the terms (as reasonably determined by BC) which could be something like business use would allow immediate closure. The OP probably didn’t call Barclays because they are almost certain not to tell you the reason nor reverse the decision.

Tom2 113 posts

You weren’t one of the people who got declined and then applied again changing some details – different bank account for instance?

The Urbanite 117 posts

I got a 60 day closure letter too and I’m not the only one. I have not linked it to Curve.

Was approved after a manual review with a £14k limit!

I’ll try not to lose too much sleep, HSBC still good for Avios and I’m collecting the bonus goodies before.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    NorthernLass 7,481 posts

Very odd, @Urbanite. OH also has £14k limit and we hit both targets last week so I’ll watch the post! Perhaps Mr X is on the loose again?

Steven 80 posts

I got a 60 day closure letter too and I’m not the only one. I have not linked it to Curve.

I’ll try not to lose too much sleep, HSBC still good for Avios and I’m collecting the bonus goodies before.

Self employed by any chance? Did you get a request to unload docs?

The Urbanite 117 posts

Self employed by any chance? Did you get a request to unload docs?

Nope, nothing like that. Sometimes lenders just change their minds – been through enough cards not to worry about it anymore and I’m in the camp of not calling to find out why.

The Urbanite 117 posts

Very odd, @Urbanite. OH also has £14k limit and we hit both targets last week so I’ll watch the post! Perhaps Mr X is on the loose again?

I’m sure you’ll be fine 😃

NorthernLass 7,481 posts

Should be ok as SUB and voucher target were both hit last week – unless BC tries to do a Creation!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.