Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Best card arrangement for HMRC

• vetjames 66 posts

What is the best credit card setup to pay business taxes to HMRC and earn Avios? My business pays ~£80,000 per year. Am I best getting a Curve Metal card and them directing payments to a Capital on Tap or AMEX? What should I do?

Harrier25 852 posts

You can’t use Amex with Curve.

vetjames 66 posts

OK – super helpful, no Amex.

Peter K 553 posts

You can use billhop to pay HMRC but there is a 2.95% fee for doing so. The advantage is that you can use Amex, so it can help you hit a spend target.

Check with your accountant, but the 2.95% fee could be considered an expense for tax purposes.

Cranzle 272 posts

What is the best credit card setup to pay business taxes to HMRC and earn Avios? My business pays ~£80,000 per year. Am I best getting a Curve Metal card and them directing payments to a Capital on Tap or AMEX? What should I do?

Best route, unless you have an existing credit card that rewards well. Curve Metal is the only

kavin_jay 11 posts

Good question. HSBC used to award points when used via Curve but no longer does for (personal) HMRC payments. Also by comments it seems that Virgin has started to add surcharges for HMRC payments when used via Curve. Not sure what other cards are out there… Barclaycard via Curve?

MingTheMerciless 27 posts

I use barclaycard with Curve to the limit, then tesco pay+ for the ballance

OS2142 6 posts

Anyone got any more recommendations? Ideally looking to get Amex points!

NorthernLass 7,591 posts

Billhop (with the fee) is your only option really. HMRC clearly don’t want anyone getting any peripheral benefit from paying them!

Chas 139 posts

Anyone got any more recommendations? Ideally looking to get Amex points!

As has been mentioned above, you can’t get Amex points, as Amex doesn’t work with Curve…

nw8727 22 posts

So to check, Barclaycard x Curve doesn’t incur any additional costs if using with fronted on?

ClubSmed 174 posts

Why do you use Curve Metal rather than the standard Curve? Is there a max transaction rate with the standard that I can’t see on the compare plans page of Curve?

mzb 64 posts

Why do you use Curve Metal rather than the standard Curve? Is there a max transaction rate with the standard that I can’t see on the compare plans page of Curve?

I believe that payments to HMRC via a free Curve will add a 1.5% charge. (I use Curve Metal to avoid that, up to £10k/month)

QwertyKnowsBest 301 posts

So to check, Barclaycard x Curve doesn’t incur any additional costs if using with fronted on?

No additional charge.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.