Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Cancelling BAPP

• pbcold 348 posts

I just called Brighton to cancel my BAPP and the agent said categorically that I would lose my companion voucher if I didn`t use my current card to pay for it. Is this correct?

Froggee 897 posts

It is not correct. You will keep it.

You will not be able to use it if you tell BA you have cancelled your BAPP when you book your companion seat.

So I wouldn’t tell BA if I were you.

pbcold 348 posts

Excellent advice! Many thanks for replying Froggee.

Luca M 391 posts

What it is true is that you need to use an Amex card (any, even if a friend or family) to pay any cash element of the booking (normally the taxes) to use the voucher.

JDB 4,384 posts

It is not correct. You will keep it.

You will not be able to use it if you tell BA you have cancelled your BAPP when you book your companion seat.

So I wouldn’t tell BA if I were you.

The information given is not incorrect, it is rather that, in practice, effective cancellation of the voucher is not applied. The provision that payment needs to be made with the card, and holding it at the time of travel was retained in the new terms WEF Sep 2021. One shouldn’t be too definitive that the current practice will never change.

circusflyer 17 posts

Were you offered any incentive to keep your card when you called up to cancel? I’m thinking of cancelling mine as the annual fee hits the at same time as my Amex Plat, but could be persuaded to keep the BAPP if there was a generous retention bonus!

Reney 768 posts

Were you offered any incentive to keep your card when you called up to cancel? I’m thinking of cancelling mine as the annual fee hits the at same time as my Amex Plat, but could be persuaded to keep the BAPP if there was a generous retention bonus!

there is a thread for that, seems usually spend £3k get 10k avios.

circusflyer 17 posts

Good to know! Thanks

VinZ 142 posts

Yes I can confirm that. Pathetic offer. I downgraded mine today.

mkcol 55 posts

So I need to spend £150 to get my companion voucher by 3rd August – which I guess must be the start of my new membership year.

If I hit that spend today does the companion voucher get triggered & applied to my Exec Club account immediately? Just trying to time it to reduce any unnecessary fee as I plan to canx my BAPP.

SteveJ 979 posts

So I need to spend £150 to get my companion voucher by 3rd August – which I guess must be the start of my new membership year.

If I hit that spend today does the companion voucher get triggered & applied to my Exec Club account immediately? Just trying to time it to reduce any unnecessary fee as I plan to canx my BAPP.

Within a few working days, yes.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.