Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other London life Decent afternoon tea

• Tracy 315 posts

Hi, looking for some recommendations for a decent afternoon tea in London that won’t break the bank. I have previously done The Ritz and Claridges and want something more causual (and cheaper) this time lol.

Michael C 667 posts

We really enjoyed Brown’s Mayfair (Albemarle St), but partly due to the freeflow food ;o)

Tracy 315 posts

Thanks Michael C but still a pricey afternoon tea…

JDB 4,384 posts

The Haymarket Hotel (and the other Firmdale Hotels) does good afternoon tea and is less formal, but has superb decor (esp. wallpaper in loos!), staff and food. They occasionally have Amex offers, but I don’t have one currently.

John 1,000 posts

Harrods? Only been once, when I first moved to London/the UK 15 years ago… I clearly remember paying with a single £20 note, and also seeing someone tip the toilet cleaner a fiver. I wore a t-shirt and jeans and didn’t feel out of place.

Tracy 315 posts

Thanks JDB and John, will have a look.

LST 19 posts

Can recommend Fortnum’s and The Athenaeum

George K 292 posts

Funnily enough, I’d recommend the afternoon tea at the Sheraton Grand, among others. Perfect Art Deco decor in their version of the Palm Court and good offerings.

Wanderlust 25 posts

I loved the afternoon teas at the Lanesborough and the Rosewood… but both are still fairly pricey.

As a budget option I went to Dalloway Terrace with some friends and it far exceeded my expectations. The food quality was really good, but would say the service was very variable depending on which waiter came to the table.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

Flemmings in Mayfair used to be good, pre pandemic.

Amy C 372 posts

Theatre Royal Drury lane is a different venue and meant to be very good. It’s in their Grand Salon.

Richie 992 posts

Paul in Covent Garden has a tea room.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    JenT 152 posts

Hilton Park Lane is usually very good – the winners of professional Bake Off were from there a few years ago.

Lady London 2,053 posts

If you’re cheap like me you could give the Maids of Honour tea room in Kew a try.

It was my local for many many years and popular with many and for some reason enduringly popular with Japanese.

Some years ago it changed hands but the recipes and staff at that time were sold with it. Last time I visited there were some additional not very refined items but much of it was still there. Cramped tables, swirly carpet and a small fireplace. Tiny outside terrace in summer. Meat pie slices and scones excellent, I used to buy occasionally for takeaway also. Walking distance from Kew Gardens tube or take bus 65 from Richmond.

Good for lunch as well if you like a simple trad English hot lunch, they might still be doing steamed puddings.

AJA 1,071 posts

I recommend Dean Street Townhouse in Soho for its afternoon tea which is £25 per person or £36 with a glass of Collet Brut NV Champagne. Served Mon – Sat 2pm to 5pm

Alternatively you could try the Clermont Hotel (formerly the Amba) above Charing Cross station. Afternoon Tea is served in The Terrace, which has views out across The Strand to St. Martin in the Fields church at Trafalgar Square. Cost about £30 per person I think. I think it is served daily from 1pm to 5pm.

Tracy 315 posts

Lady London, I am definitely cheap too lol. Don’t mind paying for something as long as it’s value for money…
    Will have a look at all the suggestions above, thanks guys

SteveJ 979 posts

Patisserie Valerie often pop up on buyagift as a lower cost option. As have Cafe Rouge.

Tracy 315 posts

Thanks Steve J, I have 3 patisserie Valerie vouchers to use from when there was a code for £15 off so paid £10 for afternoon tea for 2 🙂
    Was hoping for something a bit nicer….
    Have noticed there is a gin afternoon tea at Harrods for 2 people for £89…think I’ll probably choose this one…

Tracy 315 posts

Also should say TCB of 20% also just posted for the Harrods afternoon tea – paid £35.60 each which I’m quite happy with 🙂

can 506 posts

While we are at this: i was planning to take my mom to hilton park lane for tea this spring.
    Can I collect Hilton points with this, just patroning the restaurant without staying?

SP14 7 posts

Tracy – is that Harrods afternoon tea offer still available do you know?

Lady London 2,053 posts

IIRC Groupon used to do offers.
    And Expedia might as well.

Tracy 315 posts

It is still available. I bought it from Red Letter Days via TCB…
    I then emailed Harrods Tea Rooms with the voucher details and made the reservation.

SP14 7 posts

It is still available. I bought it from Red Letter Days via TCB…
    I then emailed Harrods Tea Rooms with the voucher details and made the reservation.

Thank you so much – that is excellent.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.