Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Eight hour overnight layover – will I have to collect my bags?

• Annetteewan 24 posts

Hoping someone here can help. We’re flying JFK to LAX on AA and land at 12.53am. Our connecting flight (booked on the same ticket) isn’t until 9am so I’m wondering what will happen with our luggage. I was hoping we wouldn’t have to collect them and they’d be checked through to the morning flight. The plan was to sit it out until the Admirals Lounge opens at 4.30am, but if we have to collect our bags and go landside, we’ll be stuck there until check-in opens the next morning. Is eight hours short enough for them to keep our bags? I’m loathe to spend over £100 on an airport hotel when we’ll only be there for a few hours. Do any of you regular travellers have any tips or advice?

NorthernLass 7,589 posts

Where is the layover? As long as the bags are checked through, you normally wouldn’t have to collect them until you reach your final destination, but it’s not clear what your exact itinerary is.

Annetteewan 24 posts

Sorry about that, I wasn’t clear. It’s JFK to SJD (with the layover in LAX). Land in LAX at about 1am and take off for SJD at 9am.

NorthernLass 7,589 posts

If it’s all on one booking it shouldn’t be an issue.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,083 posts

The AA limit for a trip like yours is a layover over 12 hours means bags won’t be through checked.

So you’ll be fine

Annetteewan 24 posts

Superb – thanks

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.