Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express From scratch: Starting again with Amex after 24 months off

• harrisjamieh 25 posts

Hi all. Coming up to the end of my two years away from Amex. So I need a strategy.

There’s various articles on HfP that skirt around the subject, but the only one I can find that’s still relevant relates to a couples strategy. Apols if I’ve missed the blindingly obvious.

I’m thinking:

Start with Preferred Rewards Gold, for 20k SUB in 3 months.

Then move onto the BAPP for 25k SUB in 3 months.

Obviously any SUB promo’s would skew this (if Platinum did the 100k SUB, for example…). But keen to hear if anyone has any thoughts / recco’s, or indeed if I’ve missed the obvious and there’s a straightforward, up to date article.

Thoughts and guidance both welcome and appreciated!

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,207 posts

Nothing has changed:

1 – Marriott or Nectar
    2 – BAPP or Platinum
    3 – BAPP or Platinum

This is the only combo that gets you 3 bonuses.

However, you have the issue that pro-rata fee refunds will end at some point after 29 Feb (not sure exactly when) so your potential willingness to pay the fees comes into play. However, as you’d get £600 of Platinum dining credit in Year 1 and £150 of Harvey Nichols credit, your £650 is covered regardless on Platinum.

harrisjamieh 25 posts

Nice one, thanks Rob! Re: fee’s, definitely a consideration (less so if there’s a huge SUB promo obviously). You could in theory substitute Platinum for Gold in the above to avoid fees? Or no?

Scott 240 posts

No, you couldn’t substitute Plat with Gold if you’d followed step 1 in Rob’s strategy – the criteria for a Gold SUB is that you mustn’t have held a personal Amex in the prior 24 mths.

You say there are various articles here that skirt around the issue, but this is all covered in detail if you read the articles properly. The info isn’t hard to find.

harrisjamieh 25 posts

Thanks Scott. I did have a good old look. I do love this site, swathes of great info from Rob & the team every day, and an amazing community of knowledgable people. Though it does never fail to amaze me how some take the time out of their day to comment and let others know of their unhappiness with said persons search skills or ability to seek out info :).

aq.1988 454 posts

Rob’s suggestion is best for absolutely maximising the number of SUB’s you are eligible for, but it’ll cost you £900 or £995 just in card fees alone.

Most people I know start with Gold (as it’s free in the first year), and then go BAPP.

aq.1988 454 posts

Nothing has changed:

1 – Marriott or Nectar
    2 – BAPP or Platinum
    3 – BAPP or Platinum

This is the only combo that gets you 3 bonuses.

However, you have the issue that pro-rata fee refunds will end at some point after 29 Feb (not sure exactly when) so your potential willingness to pay the fees comes into play. However, as you’d get £600 of Platinum dining credit in Year 1 and £150 of Harvey Nichols credit, your £650 is covered regardless on Platinum.

@Rob
    , does that mean that the HN and dining credits are guaranteed past 31/12/2024?

Rui N. 831 posts

Rob’s suggestion is best for absolutely maximising the number of SUB’s you are eligible for, but it’ll cost you £900 or £995 just in card fees alone.

Most people I know start with Gold (as it’s free in the first year), and then go BAPP.

That’s what I do. But no reason for not starting with Nectar first

harrisjamieh 25 posts

Thanks all!! Much appreciated!

Rui N. I’m not sure that’s poss- Scott reckons you can’t get the gold SUB after having ANY personal Amex products.

I’ve just looked it up and it seems that way – platinum says “only available if you have not held a personal Membership Rewards enrolled American Express Card”… gold misses out the ‘memberships rewards’ wording and just says ‘personal’.

So… holding nectar would stop a gold SUB. Think I’ll go with aq.1988’s suggestion unless anything wild comes along with promos.

Rui N. 831 posts

I believe you are correct

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.