Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Going to be in USA for 6 weeks – best SIM so can use phone out there?

• 23maverick 3 posts

I have a virgin mobile sim but the roaming is shocking. Whats the best UK provider for USA ? I just need data for google maps and being out and about

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Not Long Now... 94 posts

I use Tmobile unlimited talk, text and data prepaid sim from amazon. £30 for 3 weeks, so need 2 (other time spans available), which must be activated before you go, then just insert when you arrive and away you go. Never had any problems, coverage seems good…

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    190 posts

There are a few different virtual mobile networks that might do a cheapish short term deal. Cricket is one of the bigger ones I believe.

davefl 1,221 posts

If you can wait until you land, pop into any T-Mobile store and pick up a tourist sim/Ultra Mobile is the brand.Only snag is they’re valid for 21 days, so you could just buy 2 and activate the 2nd when the 1st runs out.

You can do similar in AT&T stores with their tourist plan.

I’ve always found the staff very helpful in store and they will set everything up for you if you want.

I’ve done the ebay/amazon seller before departure before, but since you cant activate the sim until you get there it’s a risk I dont generally want to take any more.

cinereus 161 posts

The OP is asking for a UK SIM but, as others suggest, I would get a local SIM. And I would go for an MVNO over an MNO.

If you really need a UK SIM then the obvious choice for the US is Three.

Tariq 79 posts

Airalo might be worth a look if your phone supports eSIM.

davefl 1,221 posts

The OP is asking for a UK SIM but, as others suggest, I would get a local SIM. And I would go for an MVNO over an MNO.

If you really need a UK SIM then the obvious choice for the US is Three.

Yeah but there is no best UK provider. Three’s data roaming over in the US is abysmal you can barely get 2G speeds and they’re bringing it to an end next year. The others are excruciatingly expensive.

Charles Martel 124 posts

I have a virgin mobile sim but the roaming is shocking. Whats the best UK provider for USA ? I just need data for google maps and being out and about

Three PAYG with a Data Pack has free roaming in the US for up to 2 months (up to 12gb). My experience a few years ago was that it was highly throttled however.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.