Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• dwjpaypal 7 posts

Hi all,

I’m hoping someone will be able to help. I’ve read so much that I think I’m just confusing myself now.

Basically I’ve managed to save around 440,000 Amex Gold points. It’s my 40th this year, and me and my partner wanted to go to Thailand. The only date we can do is 25th July, returning 4th August, or a couple of days either side, ideally travelling premium/business/upper, with a max of £1000 cash to add.

Please could someone help and give me the best option? I’m utterly lost!

Thank you in advance

Richie 993 posts
    dwjpaypal 7 posts

Sorry bud, already have a gold card, I’m asking about the best option for travelling to Bangkok.

Richie 993 posts

Which airline frequent flyer schemes are you already members of?

BBbetter 649 posts

https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=London&t=Bangkok&o=0&c=j&s=1&p=1

Gives you the routes. For availability, check on the individual program websites. Or a service like point.me

The real Swiss Tony 662 posts

Right at the start of the school holidays – not going to be easy.

There are two award seats available on the new Singapore airlines flight LGW-SIN connecting on to BKK on 25/7 in business class.

Coming back, so far I can see two seats in Qatar on 4th August from Bangkok to Doha in First, connecting to Edinburgh in Business. Can’t see anything for London or Birmingham.

I reckon that’s doable under your budget. Your only slight challenge is making sure the availability doesn’t disappear between transferring the miles and making the booking.

dwjpaypal 7 posts

Which airline frequent flyer schemes are you already members of?

I’ve joined most of them today, some of the websites are terrible, but I’m persisted and have accounts with most now…

danimal 85 posts

I’d suggest you register with Seatspy and look for BA flights to Singapore. Then it’s a pretty quick and cheap connection to Bangkok or Phuket.

You could book WTP as there seems to be OK availability then if and when CW comes up call and upgrade.

(I’m currently lurking on Seatspy looking to do a similar thing in March).

Good luck!

Aston100 1,385 posts

I’d suggest you register with Seatspy and look for BA flights to Singapore.

I wonder how many other people will be up at t-355 for this, given it is the start of English schools summer holiday?
    The OP has unwisely revealed their travel dates.

dwjpaypal 7 posts

I wonder how many other people will be up at t-355 for this, given it is the start of English schools summer holiday?

Given I’m way off of the 355 days, being it’s 7 months away, i’ve probably missed the boat on this one.

BBbetter 649 posts

Yep, forget BA business or first.

BA via SIN is out as the TFCs will more than blow through the £1000 cash budget, and that’s before they start looking at getting up to Thailand.

t0m 74 posts

I’d recommend looking up Qatar availability. There is a glitch in their booking system that means if you book a business flight to Doha connecting to Bangkok from various UK airports then they price it as business class (75k Avios each way). I booked from Manchester, but you can find these from Birmingham and Edinburgh too. I didn’t see any from London airports yet. I managed to book first class in both directions between Doha and BKK, then business to Manchester.

Aston100 1,385 posts

Given I’m way off of the 355 days, being it’s 7 months away, i’ve probably missed the boat on this one.

Yeah, my bad. Sorry was thinking 2025 for some reason.

Aston100 1,385 posts

I’d recommend looking up Qatar availability. There is a glitch in their booking system that means if you book a business flight to Doha connecting to Bangkok from various UK airports then they price it as business class (75k Avios each way). I booked from Manchester, but you can find these from Birmingham and Edinburgh too. I didn’t see any from London airports yet. I managed to book first class in both directions between Doha and BKK, then business to Manchester.

Yes I did this out of BHX earlier this year at like t-4 days! the availability just appeared out of the blue with 4 days left to go.
    As discussed many times on this site, (regular priced) Qatar reward availability for peak dates is hard to come by. Though Qatar did release a bunch of seats a few weeks ago covering much of 2024.

danimal 85 posts

BA would be 240000 Avios + £ 600.00 pp so agree it’s over budget. I’ve got an upgrade voucher which will take some of the sting out and I’m flexible on dates.

Qater may be your best bet but you’ll probably need to be more flexible on dates and maybe book it last minute.

As I posted above, this is possible right now, SQ LGW-SIN-BKK and QR BKK-DOH-EDI. all in J except the first QR leg in F.

Not sure what the best way to book SQ is but Air Canada Aeroplan want 110k plus CAD$400 for the outbound, Qatar is 90k plus 6k THB for the inbound.

dwjpaypal 7 posts

What about EVA Air guys? They have some direct flights available but can’t work out if they are compatible with AMEX points, they convert into EVA Air points, but unsure how to book with them if I went down that route?

Eva air only seem to release one business class seat per day this far out. So there is availability around your dates and you can book via any Star Alliance partner but you’d have to fly a day apart.

dwjpaypal 7 posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. Ended up booking with Quatar, it was 180k points for a split Business/First class booking each ways, so I used a total of 360k points, plus £1044. Im chuffed to have been able to get first class flights for such a special birthday, it’ll be worth the extra effort going from a non-London airport.

t0m 74 posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. Ended up booking with Quatar, it was 180k points for a split Business/First class booking each ways, so I used a total of 360k points, plus £1044. Im chuffed to have been able to get first class flights for such a special birthday, it’ll be worth the extra effort going from a non-London airport.

Well done and great work!!

Aston100 1,385 posts

Well done!
    If you get enough time in Al Safwa before boarding the ugly bus, please don’t do a Mrs Aston and order a cheesy pasta. Be like Mr Aston and order the wagyu.

zapato1060 639 posts

Well done!
    If you get enough time in Al Safwa before boarding the ugly bus, please don’t do a Mrs Aston and order a cheesy pasta. Be like Mr Aston and order the wagyu.

OT 😀 Mrs Aston reminds me of my sister in law who we gifted a meal at a high end restaurant. She and BIL get 2x Spaghetti Bolognese. I was shocked. Menu was extensive and rich.

BJ 657 posts

Great result @dwj, enjoy! I guess Qatar released some standard pricing as J’d watched July and August for months and only saw 2x avios availability ex/inEDI. Eventually got AY which I prefer anyway but costs more avios but balanced by lower fees. Qatar is safer as AY connection times between UK and BKK are very tight.

@Tom
    , there seems to be mixed results on the mixed class pricing, while I got it previously at 75k it would not work for our flights last month. However, ISTR commenting on it at the time of booking and I think it was @Aston who said he still managed it around the same time.

t0m 74 posts

@Tom
    , there seems to be mixed results on the mixed class pricing, while I got it previously at 75k it would not work for our flights last month. However, ISTR commenting on it at the time of booking and I think it was @Aston who said he still managed it around the same time.

Yep, I managed to make a booking from MAN last week..flying in April.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.