Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Hilton complimentary breakfast for Gold / Diamond discussion

• Aston100 1,388 posts

May be of interest to some.
    Recently stayed at a property in Washington DC. Was advised at check-in that we’d get $15 daily credit pp towards f&b in lieu of the discontinued complimentary breakfast.
    This was hardly a suitable alternative given (for example) an Omelette with some potatoes on the side was $25 (plus sales tax, plus 20% tip).
    Upon return home, I managed to successfully argue the case (with the hotel management) that my booking had been made well before the changes to the complimentary breakfast, and that had I been notified by the hotel, I would have booked a b&b rate rather than the room-only rate.
    I have been refunded the cost of breakfast for my entire stay.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    NorthernLass 7,565 posts

Good result, @Aston100. This really is a swizz on the part of Hilton and is likely to affect my choice of hotel in the US. Hotel breakfasts are ridiculously priced so if I was going to choose Hilton over there, I’d go for a property like Homewood Suites where breakfast in included anyway.

I haven’t checked, but it would be interesting to know if you would also get the credit if booking via Emyr, which would give you breakfast as well?

davefl 1,221 posts

Well done!

I’m part of the Hilton consumer focus group and they asked our opinion about this a year ago, I think the backlash was unanimous but they still went ahead and did it.

Personally for my upcoming trip I’ve completely avoided Hiltons/Doubletrees etc and booked only Hamptons and IHG/Marriot properties apart from asingle Garden Inn where the breakfast rate was only $6 more. Voting with my wallet. I’m assuminng I will still get the myway credit and that’ll buy me a beer.

The Savage Squirrel 569 posts

I’ll bet breakfast prices are jacked up so you’re paying basically local market price even with the $15 discount.

Own goal … it used to be a major driver towards Hilton for me; but when sorting upcoming trip I didn’t even consider them for any cash bookings.

Eoc 31 posts

It may be just the US. I got comp brekkie in Malta and Crete this autumn at Hilton’s and just back from Hilton Barbados where I got comp Continental but 10 bucks more if you wanted the overcooked eggs and ham too.

Aston100 1,388 posts

Do we know if Hilton are likely to introduce the f&b credit in lieu of complimentary breakfast across other regions this year?

SteveJ 979 posts

Own goal … it used to be a major driver towards Hilton for me; but when sorting upcoming trip I didn’t even consider them for any cash bookings.

This! Hilton had me nailed in, as the free cooked breakfast couldn’t be matched by others. Now they’re just in the mix with everyone else and no longer my “go to” in North America.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,100 posts

This! Hilton had me nailed in, as the free cooked breakfast couldn’t be matched by others. Now they’re just in the mix with everyone else and no longer my “go to” in North America.

Same here; minimal interest in Hilton in US. To add insult to injury the massive Hilton New York on 6th Avenue simply shut up shop on food offerings entirely for a long time.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

They are giving away gold status like candy and that’s come back to bite them. Not surprising.

can 506 posts

Not surprised. It costs $95 in the US to get an Amex Hilton that gives you Gold status.
    $95 is like £70.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    davefl 1,221 posts

It may be just the US. I got comp brekkie in Malta and Crete this autumn at Hilton’s and just back from Hilton Barbados where I got comp Continental but 10 bucks more if you wanted the overcooked eggs and ham too.

The insulting F&B credit is only in the US market and to quote Hilton gives its customers “flexibility and choice”

Well yes… I choose to walk away.

NorthernLass 7,565 posts

I’ve booked 5 nights at the Baker’s Cay Curio in Key Largo for New Year 22/23 – last time I enquired the F & B credit was $19 pp which did actually cover the cost of their breakfast but this may well change!
    Would be interesting to compile a list of properties where the credit gives decent value, and where it doesn’t!

John 1,000 posts

Don’t forget you are supposed to add a tip in the US

The worst thing about this is that it’s basically up to the hotel as to where and when you can use the credit. It’s also per day and not cumulative, and “day” is defined by the hotel. Some don’t allow you to use it on the day of check out!

Rui N. 831 posts

Free cooked breakfast wasn’t a benefit in a lot of the brands in any case. Although some hotels did give you access to all breakfast items, the benefit was for “continental breakfast”.

NorthernLass 7,565 posts

I’ve never had less than splendid breakfasts at Hiltons as gold, even though it’s technically “continental”. Even at the Hilton Millenium UN where it was buffet in the lounge the spread was excellent. Probably my favourite so far, for content as well as surroundings, was the breakfast at the Doubletree Harrogate.
    Also never been charged for children staying with us.

SteveJ 979 posts

Agreed, always been given cooked although agree it was officially listed as continental.

Harrier25 852 posts

I’ve never had less than splendid breakfasts at Hiltons as gold, even though it’s technically “continental”. Even at the Hilton Millenium UN where it was buffet in the lounge the spread was excellent. Probably my favourite so far, for content as well as surroundings, was the breakfast at the Doubletree Harrogate.
    Also never been charged for children staying with us.

…which is why the Hilton Barclaycard with its easy way of retaining Gold status year on year would be missed far more then I’m missing the Creation IHG cards, which I haven’t really missed at all to date!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.